VA Thespian Update
VA Thespians Kudos & Happenings
March 2023: Theatre in our Schools Month!
Happy Theatre in our Schools Month! So many reasons to celebrate!
1. We have our 2024 VTF dates & location for next year!
2. It is #TheatreinOurSchoolsMonth- celebrate with us!
3. It is Music in our Schools Month & Sing with Your Child Month
4. March 2nd: Read Across America day (read a play with us)!
5. March 3rd: #ArtsAcrossVA23 day! Post how you are involved in your arts programs!
6. March 4th: Dance the Waltz Day (dance with us)!
7. March 12th: Academy Awards & Daylight Savings- yay for longer days!
8. March 20-26th: Int'l Music Week- sing your favorite song!
9. March 21st: Kids see Broadway FREE day! Under 18? You could see one or two of 21 different shows for F-R-E-E! Consider taking a short trip to NYC!
10. March 22nd: National Sing Out Day- show us your audition video & a fav. performance!
11. March 27th: World Theatre Day- tag us and share a favorite moment!
12. March 31st: Dance Marathon Day: Dance AGAIN with us!
ALL MONTH- we want to celebrate programs SO tag us & follow up to celebrate with us!
Follow us on social media @vathespians or Virginia Thespians for more information and updates! We would love to know how to support you this year. Please complete our 2023 Troupe Director Survey and our 2023 Attendee Survey.
CELEBRATE OUR NEW TROUPES!
NEW 2022 & 2023 Troupes
We are so excited to have you join us! We at Virginia Thespians are happy you either joined for the first time, took over for a program, reinstated your troupe, or added new members! We are happy to support you and your school programs as best we can throughout the year. Consider joining us at VTF2024 in January!
March is Theatre in our Schools Month & Arts Across VA day is almost here!
AAVD23 Press Release 2023.docx
VTF 2024 will be January 4-6th at Capital One & Hilton in Tysons Corner, VA!
1. Do you want to bring a show? We are accepting mainstages NOW!
2. Do you want to come for one day or a full weekend? Only full weekend schools can compete now so consider fundraising, asking your administration for support, add this into your yearly calendars now to plan your season around it.
3. Will you need transportation? Reach out to nearby schools to consider sharing a bus to save on money and getting to know a nearby program.
We hope to see you there!
Check out our main 2024 spaces in the Capital One Hall & Hilton Hotel!
The Capital One Black Box space with about 200 seats.
The Main Auditorium
The beautiful 1,600 seat professional touring house auditorium.
The beautiful hotel lobby where most Thespys, workshop spaces, room blocks, meals, and more will be next year.
If your student applied to be a VTO- have them check their emails for virtual interviews!
What's a VTO?
VTO stands for Virginia Thespian Officer.
The State Thespian Officers are made up of a small group of elected and appointed students (7-15) from around the state. They are open to Juniors/ Seniors ideally with prior leadership experience. They are elected at VTF via an application and interview process.
Email with any other questions firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will introduce your 2023-24 VTOS next month!
Going to ITF? See our Tip guide below! (Anyone can register to go!)
2. FAQ page
3. ITF schedule
4. ITF rules
5. ITF College Auditions
6. ITF Scholarships
7. Housing & Transportation
8. Wondering if you can attend? ANYONE CAN!
9. If you got a superior & are on our list, you are eligible to compete.
10. Break legs to Rock Ridge High School as our chapter select competing!
THANK YOU TO OUR 2023 VTF SPONSORS!
Teacher Tool of the Month: Our Summer Teacher PD!
Join us for Virginia Thespian Teacher PD summer 2023!
Here's what you get this coming summer...
Your Full Conference (FCON) registration includes:
-1 room stay on August 8th
-Daily happy hour with FREE drinks & appetizers
-Two FULL days of PD with multiple options per session
-Boxed lunches for both days from Apple Spice Catering
*You can opt for the Basic Conference (BCON) option if you are commuting, sharing a room to split the room costs with a teacher friend, or plan to stay elsewhere.
*Register here and complete this form.
*Add the item for an extra night stay if you plan to come for the optional welcome evening on August 7th.
All hotel rooms (reserved through us) & meeting spaces will be at Drury Plaza Hotel: 11049 W Broad St, Glen Allen, VA 23060
Join us for Thespian Teacher PD!
How to Find out More...?
Connecting with local artists
Virginia Thespians Alumni Group
Planning a field trip soon?
Join this mailing list for rich virtual panel discussions, up-and-coming works, & more!
ITS Inductions Checklist
1. Hold an interest meeting. Ask- Who is interested in becoming inducted into ITS?
2. Share out the point application for students to complete with their past and current theatrical experiences for certain point values.
3. Have students fill out the Member Google form, for the exact information you need to collect to put them into the official ITS/ EdTA system, and pay $35 for the one-time membership fee, which lasts them a lifetime. (More materials at the bottom of the newsletter to promote and explain ITS.)
4. Hold inductions. Here is a sample outline to use. You can create your own rituals, traditions, or if you are in a pinch, it can be less than 30 minutes before school starts or before a rehearsal for example.
5. Log into your myedta account to input all of your new inductees.
6. Pay the lump sum as the director, if your students didn't pay EdTA directly. Our suggestion is to collect the money as you typically do for school events, work with your bookkeeper or boosters to cut one check to EdTA to keep it simple.
7. Hold an end of year or semester celebration to hand out the new goodies when they are delivered to the school!
Don't have a troupe yet? Read more about the benefits and process here!
Join this art platform below for local artists, resources, and more!
Need information to share about Thespians or VTF?
Here is a Festival Guide for students or new troupe directors.
Why join or have an ITS troupe? Share with students & administrators!