March 25, 2022
Spring Break is right around the corner and I for one am ready to get some R&R!! As well, I want to wish our families all the best and a very safe break. Below you find additional informational items for your review:
- Our business partner, Andy's Frozen Custard, is hosting a fundraiser (20% of all sales) on Wednesday, March 30th, from 6-8 p.m. in conjunction with Stand 4 The Silent. This non-profit organization is dedicated to confronting bullying and harassment in schools.
- Georgia Milestones Assessments are back and PARTICPATION matters. Participation will be critical. With the absence of significant testing data from the last two years, this year’s scores will be used to establish a new baseline for the schools and districts. The results will be used for College and Career Ready Performance Index (CCRPI) and other important school level and school system rankings. High School students will be tested in the areas of (American Literature and Composition, Algebra I, Biology and U.S. History) April 25th-29th. Please click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions about Georgia Milestones testing.
- On behalf of our Hooch staff, we want to express our true gratitude to all the parents/community who donated items and gift cards to help make Staff Appreciation Week so special! We especially enjoyed our delicious lunch provided by out PTSA. Many thanks!!
All the best,
Dr. Mike Todd
Attendance Matters ALL DAY, EVERY DAY
TIP: Record your student’s absence on your home or phone calendar.
Doing so will help you keep track of the days your child has missed from school. If you're not careful, those days can add up quickly!! Spring Break is almost here (YAY!!!), and we're all excited to get some R&R! With that said, do your very best not to extend break an extra day or two. It's so tempting, we know!! But remember, absences from school means missed instruction, assignments, and homework that your child will have to catch up on later. That can be stressful for students, especially after returning from an extended break. Not sure how many days your child has missed so far this school year?? Click HERE to sign up for the parent portal and stay in the know about attendance, academics and more! Help Your Child Succeed in School: Build the Habit of Good Attendance! School success goes hand in hand with good attendance!
AP Late Change Fees
If your student dropped an Advanced Placement course for second semester (or changed their AP exam order after November 12, 2021) – the CollegeBoard charges a $40 AP Exam Late Change Fee that students/families must pay. To do so, please visit the payment/OSP link HERE. If unpaid by April 11, fines will be entered onto the student’s account in Infinite Campus which would impact a student’s ability to receive graduation tickets, diploma, and have final transcript sent until the fine is paid. Questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to Mr. Abelkop at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer School Information
Registration is open for both face-to-face Summer School at Johns Creek HS as well as Fulton Virtual and GA Virtual! Parents/guardians should check their student’s transcript on Infinite Campus under the Documents tab to see which courses need to be retaken, both from prior years and this current school year – check your student’s total # of earned credits as well. Please keep in mind that not every course is offered in the Summer. Directions to register and additional information for each option is below. After June 3rd, please contact Johns Creek HS with any Summer School questions.
As a reminder, students must have earned the following # of credits by August 1, 2022 to be listed in each grade:
- 10th grade – must have earned 5.0 credits
- 11th grade – must have earned 11.0 credits
- 12th grade – must have earned 17.0 credits
Face-to-face Summer School at Johns Creek High School - June 8th – July 8th
- Regular registration closes on May 26th
- Late registration for classes that still have availability will be in person at Johns Creek HS on June 6th and 7th
- To register, go to https://www.fultonschools.org/Page/18470 and click on the link on the right side under Summer Learning Registration
*NO tuition required for students retaking a course they previously failed*
- Abbreviated transportation is available. Please check the Summer School website above closer to the start date for specific stop and time information for your student.
- Students who require Special Education transportation per their IEP must register by April 27th to ensure their route is in place for the first day of Summer School.
Fulton Virtual - June 1st – July 13th
- To register, go to www.fultonschools.org and click on the ClassLink icon in the green bar
- Login to ClassLink (Username and Password are the student’s credentials they use to log into their school device and email)
- Click on the Genius – Fulton Virtual icon
- Students are permitted to take up to 2.0 total credits in the Summer – however, we do not recommend students take more than 1.0 credit on Fulton Virtual due to the amount of time they are expected to spend on their classes each day.
- Required for students taking a course for the first time
- $225 per 0.5 credit/semester course, $450 per 1.0 credit/year-long course
- Students approved for free or reduced-cost lunch: $180 per 0.5 credit/semester course, $360 per 1.0 credit/year-long course
*NO tuition required for students retaking a course they previously failed*
- Students must meet the completion benchmarks below to stay enrolled in their Fulton Virtual courses. If they do not meet the benchmarks, they will be administratively dropped by FVS and will not receive a refund of tuition.
- 33% complete by June 15th at 11:59 pm
- 50% complete by June 22nd at 11:59 pm
- 66% complete by June 29th at 11:59 pm
GA Virtual – June 6th – July 14th
- Opens March 15th at www.gavirtualschool.org
- Courses offered - https://www.gavirtualschool.org/Course-Info/Summer-2022-Courses
- Students must first create an account at https://gavs.geniussis.com/PublicWelcome.aspx to register for their classes
- Do not create a new/duplicate account if you have trouble logging in to an existing account! Students should submit a GAVS helpdesk ticket or email Nikki Walker at Nicole.Walker@gavirtualschool.org for assistance with accessing existing accounts.
- Be sure to indicate the correct selections for the following fields – any other selections you make will send the course requests to another high school!
- Out of State = No
- Program = GAVS
- County of Residence = Fulton
- Student Type = Public
- District = Fulton County
- School = Chattahoochee High School
- Course requests will be processed by the school counselors each Friday, so please be patient.
- $250 per 0.5 credit/semester course, $500 per 1.0 credit/year-long course for all students
Upcoming Events & Registration Timeline:
3/30-The Counseling Office will offer one final help session next Wednesday, March 30 during all lunch periods for students to come get their questions answered. This event will be held in the Counseling Office Flex Room. If students have any last-minute questions, please come at that time.
3/31 - Dual Enrollment DEADLINE for upcoming school year
4/15 - Second Senior Meeting in Cafeteria (meeting time will be forthcoming)
4/20 - Counseling Seminar #4 - Career Exploration at 5pm (Teams Link: https://bit.ly/SeminarApr20)
5/11 - Counseling Seminar #5 - Q&A with Counselors at 5pm (Teams Link: https://bit.ly/SeminarMay11)
Powerpoint from Senior Meeting
Seniors attended a meeting regarding graduation steps on Thursday. The Powerpoint presentation is attached below.
Virtual College Fair
Attention Junior and Senior Parents!
The 2nd Fulton County Virtual College Fair will be on March 31st this year. Students who register will be matched with attending colleges and will be passes to attend sessions with those colleges throughout the day. If you would like for your son/daughter to participate, then please have them sign up using QR code below.
Seniors - A Note from the Cafe
When you return from Spring Break, please see any cashier for a Refund Request form if you’d like to have your Café balance mailed to your home. Your parent or guardian will need to complete the form and fax or mail it to our Nutrition Office in Atlanta. (Instructions are printed on the form). The Café does not have enough cash to process refunds. If you have a younger sibling currently attending Chattahoochee and would like to transfer the balance to that sibling, your parent or guardian should email the Café Manager, Anne Prianti at email@example.com to transfer any or all of the balance. For transfers between siblings who attend different schools, please email the balance transfer request to Susana Meliawati in the Nutrition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
PTSA Senior Gold Envelopes
The CHS Senior Events Committee is sponsoring Senior Gold Envelopes for all graduating seniors. This tradition is a special opportunity to honor our 2022 graduates with personalized notes or cards to commemorate this big event in their lives. We invite you, other family members, friends, VIPs and members of the CHS faculty to write notes of congratulations to your son or daughter. We will distribute them at the graduation rehearsal. Every senior will be presented with a large Gold Envelope containing collected messages as well as community giveaways. The notes and cards will be kept confidential until graduation.
Please see the attached information for all the details.
WBL IT Summer Internship
The IT department and CTAE Work-Based Learning are offering summer internships for Fulton County high school students in grades 10, 11, and 12. This is an opportunity to gain real-world experience while working alongside the FCS IT professional support staff. Interest or knowledge in technology is helpful, but not required.
Student interns are expected to work from June 2, 2022 – July 29, 2022. Each applicant must have a valid driver’s license and a reliable vehicle, as work assignments will be throughout the district. Compensation will be at $12/hr and students may also earn course credit through WBL.
Scan the code on the flyer below to apply. Applications are due by April 1, 2022.
Boys Lacrosse – 4-8 overall record, 0-4 in region play
Girls Lacrosse – 7-4 overall record, 3-1 in region play
Boys Soccer – 3-7-3 overall record, 1-4 in region play
Girls Soccer – 10-4 overall record, 3-2 in region play
Track & Field – Last week, Chattahoochee hosted our annual home Track & Field meet. Over 300 athletes competed in the meet and the Cougars finished 1st. Last weekend, Elite Performances were recorded by Sydney Harmon who was runner-up in the 100 meter hurdles and champion in the 300 meter hurdles, recording the fastest time in all of 6A this year. The boys Distance Medley Relay team of Diego Santiago, Alex Johnson, Chris Connolly, and Tanner Coleman broke the school record in that event on their way to an Elite Performance.
Boys & Girls Golf – Hooch golf is having a successful season so far. Hooch finished 3rd out of 25 teams at the Silverman Memorial Jack & Jill tournament and the Coal Mountain Classic. Hooch will defend their 2021 tournament championship at Parkview’s Invitational on Saturday, March 26th. Highlights for the team include Owen Baginski tying for low medalist at the Silverman tournament. We have upcoming matches on March 28th and March 31st and the region tournament on Monday, April 18th at Crystal Falls GC.
Boys Tennis – 10-3 overall record, 5-2 in region play. Region tournament begins next week to determine who qualifies for state.
Girls Tennis – 3-4 overall record, finished 4th in the region. Region tournament begins next week to determine who qualifies for state.
Staff Appreciation Week was a Huge Success!!
Administrators and Department Chairs
Jonathan Adel - ELA and Fine Arts
David White; ELA; Whitedp@fultonschools.org
Lori Buonamici; Fine Arts; BuonamiciL@fultonschools.org
Garrett Abelkop - Math, PE, World Language, and TAG
Beth Smith; Math; Smithec@fultonschools.org
J.J. Hicks; PE; Hicksj@fultonschools.org
Nadia Ali; World Language; Aliahmady@fultonschools.org
Amanda Wile; TAG; Wile@fultonschools.org
Gwen Harris - Science and CTAE
Matt Mihordea; Science; Mihordea@fultonschools.org
Kylie Dayton; CTAE; Daytonk@fultonschools.org
Ingrid Parham - Social Studies and IRR
Tim Reeder; Social Studies; Reedert@fultonschools.org
Jeanne Dongieux; IRR; Dongieux@fultonschools.org