The Wonderful World of P.E.!
What's going on in Physical Education...
What's going on?
1st and 2nd Grades did Hula Hoop activities this week and it was a unit that I have never actually taught here at Goodrich, sure we have done some hula hooping in a station, but we have not spent time working on different hoop skills. I thought I would try it out because it is great exercise and requires lots of coordination. It went great!!! The kids LOVED it! So if they start requesting a hula hoop at home, you can blame me!
3rd Grade finished up basketball this week and loved my lead-up games so well that one of the classes actually picked one as their next Choice Day activity.
4th, 5th and 6th Grades ROCKED their danced they created! I recorded all of them and am still in the process of getting them all graded. Our Create-a-Dance is one of my favorite things we do all year. It is so fun to see what they come up with, they all get the courage to perform in front of their peers and they cheer each other on!
After our dances were finished, we did our last week of basketball. Lots of shooting, 3 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3 and even some full court play!
EVERYONE will be starting volleyball on Tuesday!
Kindergarten has one more day of basketball left. Next Friday they will be doing their basketball stations - passing, dribbling, and shooting mixed in with a couple fitness tasks.
The following week, they will begin Volleyball. We practice our setting and passing skills using balloons and beach balls.
Each week we have been practicing our locomotor patterns and they are improving so much!! Please encourage skipping, galloping, jumping on two feet, hopping on one foot. These movement patterns are the essential gross motor skills that everything else grows from, and these patterns are what I am grading them on each quarter.
By the end of the year we will also be sliding!
If you have any questions about these locomotor patterns, please contact me!
This year Field Day will be much earlier because I will be gone the last month of school on maternity leave with baby girl #2. But I still want to do a Field Day for the kids, so we are just going to have it early!
Field Day is Friday, April 22nd. Obviously the weather could be anything at that time, so I am working on a back-up date the following week, but am waiting on the PARCC Testing Schedule.
I have had SO MANY AMAZING PARENT volunteers in the past and I am of course looking for more again this year. Anyone who has helped me in the past will get an e-mail from me soon (maybe even later today depending on how crazy conferences get), asking if you can and/or want to help again this year. :)
If you are new to Goodrich, or just don't really know what Field Day is...
- It is an afternoon of fun and games for the kids.
- I will have 16 games set up around the field (8 for K-3rd and 8 for 4th-6th).
- They will be outside for 2 hours in the afternoon, 12:30-2:30.
- The A.M. Kindergartner will have a chance to participate during the morning with some 6th graders helping me run each game.
- The parent volunteers run each game as the classes rotate around the field with their teacher every 15 minutes.
It has work so well in the past, I hope to keep the tradition going!
Since we are doing Field Day so early this year there will be NO water games. I know the kids will be a little disappointed about this, but we could have an 80 degree April day or a 40 degree one... who knows with this Midwest weather!
Please e-mail me and let me know if you would like more information or are interested in helping out!
THANKS!! Can't wait!
The Golden Sneaker Award
But.... we still had 4 classes wear their gym shoes to P.E. EVERYDAY!! Yay!!
January P.E. All Stars:
- 1st Grade: Bree Henderson, Adrian Olivares, Brendan Lynch, Ella Matheu, Eesha Ahmad, Aiden Hampton-Tlaseca
- 2nd Grade: Jason Collazo, Kenisha Gaston, Kira Chaudhari, Landen May
- 3rd Grade: Ella Close, Marc Contreras, Trent Heinz, Ariaha Reberski
- 4th Grade: Bella Esparza, Cristian McKillip, Nia Crawford, Aaron Meulner, Furyaal Ahmad, Desean Williams
- 5th Grade: Madison Mounts, Jeff Shaheen, Talia Chiarelli, Spencer Radeke
- 6th Grade: Tzarria Ramsey, Conor Sukel, Natalya Ennabe, Eli McGuire