Dear Field Families...
We still have a few families who haven't picked up any materials and some Kinder to 3rd grade parents who haven't picked up MLA workbooks. Please double-check that you have the correct grade-level workbooks and textbooks! Refer to the pictures below. If you need to pick-up or exchange, please make an appointment with Ms. Carol Ko at firstname.lastname@example.org to come in tomorrow, the 28th.
Please continue reading for a few more updates!
Trimester 1 Diagnostic
Over the next month, 1st to 5th grade students will be taking their first online diagnostic assessment for Mandarin reading, English reading, and math. This year, we will continue to use Level Chinese (for Mandarin reading) and iReady (for Math). In addition, we will be using iReady for English reading as well.
These diagnostic assessments are important because it tells the teachers what the students already know and what they need to learn. In addition, it will help you understand your child's strengths and areas for growth, but this is only possible when the data is accurate.
Therefore, teachers will be administering these assessments synchronously with the students during class time. Parents, we ask that you do not help your child with understanding or answering the questions. Your child will benefit from your support and encouragement to ensure the information received accurately reflects what they know and still need to learn.
Over the next week, teachers will share with you their assessment window/schedule. They will also share with you the parent pledge and parent letter. Please read though the letter for more details.
What can you do?
Habits for our Little Techsperts (AKA our students)
Please share the following with your child(ren):
1. Memorize or have your username and password next to you.
2. You should sign out, shut down your chromebook daily. [Why? It allows for updates to be installed and for you to re-authenticate you accounts at the start of each school day.]
3. You make sure your chromebook is charged for the next day.
4. If you aren't able to access Clever, you can use direct links to log into Canvas (pasadena.instructure.com) and log into Webex (pusd.webex.com) to ensure you can access your classes. [Tip: Bookmark these!]
5. Use various strategies to problem-solve including:
- refresh the page
- check that the cookies are "allowed" [video below]
- re-authenticate webex account [video below]
- shut off your device
- clear browser data
- clean Google Drive files/photos/screenshots
6. If you tried every strategy you possibly could think of and it's still not working, submit a ticket to the helpdesk (with the help of your parent/guardian).
Below is a creative flowchart to help become problem-solvers with Webex. This was created by own very own 5th grade student, Penelope Vuong, and her sister who is a former student of Field.
Help! Webex Meeting is Not Loading!
- Look at your address/URL bar and locate the eye icon that is crossed out
- Click on the eye
- Then click on the link titled, "Site not working?"
- Then click on Allow Cookies
Once you follow these steps the meeting links will load.
TIPS FOR WEBEX ACCOUNT VALIDATION
Some of our students were receiving an error message when trying to attend Webex Meetings that ask for them to verify their accounts. In order to fix this there are 3 items to check. See the three steps and the video below:
- Be sure to shutdown and restart your device daily.
- Visit arms.pusd.us and make sure you are logged in to the PUSD Portal.
- Visit pusd.webex.com and sign in.
Your students may not need to complete all of these, but checking these three items will help ensure that they can get connected.
Tips for slow and lagging Chromebooks:
1. Click on this link [<--updated as of 8/25]
2. Check to see you Chromebook is up to date:
- Log into Chromebook
- Go to Settings (Bottom right hand corner)
- Click ABOUT CHROME OS
- Click CHECK FOR UPDATES
ITS HELPDESK AND CURBSIDE TECH SUPPORT
PUSD will be providing direct support to families and students experiencing technology issues that interfere with their ability to access online instruction. Our Helpdesk team and Curbside Tech Support team can help provide support for Chromebook repairs, hotspot requests, and system support. If your child can't access your teacher's course, virtual meeting, or curriculum, please reach out to their teacher first so that they can help you troubleshoot.
Helpdesk team has extended hours starting at 7:00am through 7:00pm Monday - Friday. You can also reach them by calling 626-396-3699, emailing email@example.com, or submitting a ticket while logged into your PUSD account at gopusd.com/helpdesk.
To submit a ticket for support, request repairs, or to request a hotspot please visit gopusd.com/helpdesk. Below is a video on how to submit a ticket.
Logging onto Chromebook
Kinder students received a QR code in their bag that can be scanned from the log-in screen. Click SCAN QR CODE on the log-in screen.
Returning 1st and 2nd grade students can use their old QR code. If lost, please contact your homeroom teacher. Meanwhile, you can utilize the following information to log on:
- DEFAULT USERNAME/EMAIL:
[1st char of last name capitalized, 2nd char of last name lowercase] + [Last 4 digits of student ID] + [1st char of first name capitalized, 2nd char of first name lowercase] + [2 digit birth month] + [2 digit birth day] Example: Henry Monroy (born 08/19/2001) = Mo1234He0819@pusd.us
- DEFAULT PASSWORD:
[First letter of first name capitalized] + [First letter of last name lowercase] + [6 digit student ID]
Example: Eliud Garnica (student ID 991234) = Eg991234
If you are a new student to PUSD, you can utilize the information above to log on as well.
If you are a returning student and cannot log in, you will need to reset your password. Contact Ms. Carol or Ms. Amanda to assist.
Schedules (Click on picture below.)
From Family and Engagement
- Parent University: "How to" Tech Assistance Videos. Please visit the Family Engagement Canvas Page to access videos. Spanish videos coming soon.
From PUSD Technology Services (ITS):
- For information on Parent Portal, please visit https://www.pusd.us/Page/6203
- For a Parent Portal demo video clip, please visit our "How To" Tech Videos Canvas Page Go to the bottom of page and click on Parent Portal Account - Set Up Demo
- For quick steps on creating a Parent Portal account, please visit https://www.pusd.us/Page/8650
- Due to school closures, alternate procedures are temporarily in place for verifying a parent. when getting started with a new Parent Portal account, or linking additional students to an existing account. For instructions, please click HERE
- To reset your Parent Portal password, please visit https://www.pusd.us/Page/7867
- For help, call PUSD Innovative Technology Services (ITS) Helpdesk at 626-396-3699
- Student Chromebooks: For technical support, troubleshooting and repairs, students can submit a ticket at http://www.gopusd.com/helpdesk
- Please review PUSD 2020-21 School Opening Guide for more information on Technology