Standing Bear News
National Blue Ribbon School, 2020
October 15, 2020
Message from the Principal
Greetings Standing Bear,
Just a short newsletter with some updates for the following:
- Grading- submitting assignments for Art and PE.
- Parent/Teacher Conferences- if you have not signed up yet, please do so using the provided link. The PTO has posted a link to help support teachers during conferences.
- Halloween celebration- please take a minute to read the information on our celebration this school year.
If you have any question please give us a call.
Stay positive, patient and flexible!
These will be held virtually this school year. You will use the link below to indicate a time that you are available.
Conferences will be held on
- Wednesday, October 21st from 4:20pm-8:00pm
- Thursday, October 22nd from 12:30pm-7:30pm
- No School on Friday, October 23rd
* If your child attends GATE or ESL and you interested in holding a conference, you will need to contact those teachers directly to schedule a time.
* Specialists Teachers- if you are interested in meeting with any of the specialist you will need to contact them directly to schedule a time.
Use the link below to sign up for Parent/Teacher Conferences with the classroom teacher. Be sure to SELECT YOUR CHILD'S TEACHER PRIOR TO CHOOSING A TIME.
Here's a sign-up to help provide snacks/drinks for our amazing teachers next week for school conferences.
Please note that all items need to be commercially prepared and individually packaged due to Covid restrictions.
Our Halloween celebration will look different this school year. While we want students to come to school and enjoy the traditional celebration, it is not feasible during this pandemic. Health and safety is our first priority. We will make adjustments while still allowing students to enjoy the season. This is what our celebration will look like this year.
- We ask families to send us a photo of your student in their Halloween costume. These will be compiled into a video for a “virtual parade.” This will be made available to families.
- Students are encouraged to wear Halloween or fall inspired shirts on the day of the party. We will not have students change into full Halloween costumes on this day. This would require multiple students going in and out of restrooms to change and teachers required to assist with putting on costumes.
- Classroom teachers will still hold a party, but we cannot allow room parents to assist or family members to attend.
- Treat provided by the PTO (We ask that no outside treats be brought into the school)
I appreciate your understanding of the changes for this year. The opportunity for in-person learning is so important, so we are taking all precautions and safety measures to ensure that remains an option.
I am not sure you will find another principal who loves Halloween as much as I do, so I understand that this might be disappointing and that this does not represent what we traditionally do at Standing Bear. Know that our traditional Halloween celebration will resume as normal next year.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, citizenship status, or economic status in its programs, activities and employment and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to address inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Superintendent of Schools, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131 (402-557-2001).