Fifth Grade Newsletter
August 24th 2017
Smith Elementary Mission Statement
Total Eclipse of the Heart
Science- Properties of Matter
Reading- Reading Responses
Social Studies- Colonization of the United States
Writing- Responding to literary and expository text
Grammar- Types of Nouns
Today is a great day to learn something new!
News and Reminders
* This form is required for volunteers and classroom observers.
* Completion of this form is only required once a year.
* Multiple submissions are not accepted. Keep that in mind when choosing campuses.
* Background checks are cleared at the end of the school year by the last week of June.
* New background checks can be submitted for a new school year starting in July.
* Use your legal name as it appears on your drivers license or other official ID.
* Your Social Security Number is now required information.
Please send in $10 PTA DUES as soon as possible!!!!!! We would love 100% participation
Pine Cove 5th Grade Camp
You have probably already heard, this is the year for 5th Grade Camp. Pine Cove Timbers in Tyler, Texas is the site of this amazing outdoor learning opportunity for students. Students will have an opportunity to participate in hands-on activities that will develop their awareness, appreciation, and understanding of the outdoor environment. It is an extension of our classroom. The camp curriculum is aligned with the State and the camp staff is outstanding; and you can feel good about your child’s participation in this enriching opportunity.
A Pine Cove parent information meeting will be held September 14th from 6:30 - 7:30 pm, but in the mean time, we wanted to give you some information so you can plan ahead.
- The dates for camp are Wednesday, November 15 through Friday, November 17.
- The cost for the camp is $153 per child and $20 transportation fee. Payment is due on Oct. 15.
- Students are supervised the entire time by camp personnel, chaperones, and teachers.
- If you are interested in being a chaperone and have not yet signed up, please contact Mrs. Baril at email@example.com (chaperones chosen at random mid Oct.) Chaperone fee is approx. $80.
- Students stay in nice cabins with a/c, heat, and private showers.
- All meals are included and dietary restrictions are accomodated and can be designated here. http://bit.ly/2vqKReU
All other questions regarding Pine Cove will be addressed in our informational meeting on Sept. 14.
August 25- Celebrate Smith
August 31- Watch Dog Pizza Kick off at 6:30
September 4- Labor Day Holiday - No School!
September 7- Curriculum Night: 3-5: 6:45-7:30, K-2: 6:00-6:45
September 7- Poster Forms for Stampede go home
September 12- Spirit night at Bahama Bucks
September 14- Pine Cove parent info meeting 6:30-7:30 pm.
September 22- Spirit Poster Deadlines
- Sleeveless tops with a minimum width of two-inch wide straps are acceptable. The shirt straps must be wide enough to cover undergarments.
- See-through, bare midriff, halter type, shoulder-baring, spaghetti strap blouses or any revealing or low-cut clothing is not permitted.
- Shirt hems should extend well below the waist of pants/shorts/skirts in a sitting or standing position.
- Dresses, skirts and shorts must extend to or below the students’ fingertips when their arms are held to their sides.
- Tights, leggings, jeggings, and other form-fitting pants must be worn with shirts, skirts, or shorts that extend to fingertip length.
- Shirts with sleeves must be worn at all times.
- Shorts that extend to or below the students’ fingertips when their arms are held to their sides are acceptable
Students in violation of the student dress and grooming code will be expected to change to appropriate attire when violations are brought to their attention.