Region 15 CTE Weekly Update
May 4 - May 8, 2020
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. - J. R. R. Tolkien
Hey, hey it's May! On May 7, 2001, I started at Region 15. I was 17. (check out the pic below) Haha. I had just moved from Dallas where I was a software trainer. Previous to that I was a small town high school business teacher. I told myself I'd give it a year...19 years later it's been a great experience. As cliche as it sounds, the best thing about Region 15 are the people; the staff at the center, districts, students...all of you. I have great memories and friendships. Thank you for making Region 15 the best place to work!
Monday - May 4
Still sorting out summer PD opportunities. I hope to have NCCER in place soon. I have a call with the company and trainer today. I don't know about the FCCLA Student Summer Summit will check back with FCCLA to see if they have a back up plan. Stay tuned!
Tuesday - May 5
NCCER Training - June 17-19 (working out the registration details for this, will be offered via zoom) visit www.nccer.org
CTAT Law and Public Service Teacher Conference - June 15-17, 2020 *VIRTUAL*
The CTAT state conference for Law and Public Service Teachers includes relevant industry-based certifications, the latest legislative updates, and law-enforcement techniques used by licensed peace officers.
- Event price $250, additional trainings $50/session
Workshops are led by TCOLE licensed trainers, veteran teachers, and professionals in the industry.
Sgt. Mike McCutcheon, Ed.D covers Forensic Science topics (expanded workshop)
CTAT Summer 2020 - July 20-22, 2020 *VIRTUAL*
CTAT Summer is the premier event for those in career and technical education. This event showcases best practices and strategies, comprehensive CTE program management, college and career guidance, classroom management, business/industry partnerships and more.
CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FEE $250
Training for New CTE Administrators: $195
Training for Counselors: Graduation Requirements and CTE : $145
Training for New CTE Teachers: $145
Apple Professional Learning: iPad in the CTE Classroom: $225
Apple Professional Learning: Intro to Develop in Swift Curriculum: $325
Agriculture Teachers Association of Texas Professional Development Conference July 27-31, 2020 | Waco, TX
$300 - ATAT Member
$100 - Associate Member
$30 - Student Member
Free - Guests
*New in 2020 – All guest must register to attend the conference.
FCSTAT 2020 Professional Development Conference July 20-24, 2020 | Sheraton Dallas Hotel
FAMILY AND CONSUMER SCIENCES TEACHERS ASSOCIATION OF TEXAS
- Online Registration $425
- Early Registration Deadline 06/26/20
Texas Industrial Vocational Association July 19-24, 2020 | Corpus Christi
TIVA Conferences are where we gather to share information and provide hands-on continuing education for all members.
Cost: TIVA member $350, nonmember $525
Serving the following Career Clusters:
- Architecture & Construction
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communications
- Career Development
- Government & Public Administration
- Human Services (Cosmetology)
- Information Technology
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Transportation, Distributions & Logistics
Wednesday - May 6
Thank you for being a teacher.
Governor Abbott Updates/Openings on May 5
- Barber shops and hair, nail and other types of salons will be able to reopen on Friday, May 8 — with certain conditions. Safety guidelines will include that services will be by one-on-one appointment only. Customers will be able to wait inside a space if six feet of distance is able to be maintained. Face masks will be strongly encouraged
- Gyms will be able to reopen on May 18, again with certain conditions. Gyms will only be able to operate at 25% capacity. Distancing in workout areas must adhere to sanitizing and social distancing measures. Customers should wear gloves when using equipment. Showers and locker rooms must remain closed
- Non-essential manufacturers can reopen at 25% capacity on May 18. Facilities must use staggered staffing to ensure people aren’t all moving through doorways at the same time
State Board of Education Updates as Related to CTE
- Perkins V Four Year State Plan was approved will be sent to US Dept of Education for approval
- Programs of Study to Endorsement Alignment - will update Ch. 74 Rules
- Program of Study/Endorsement Crosswalk
- HS Technology Applications to CTE Consolidation
- Approval of the Energy Cluster and courses moved
- Educational Aide I Certification (Student Industry Based Certificate)
Thursday - May 7
TEA COVID-19 Resources
Federal Programs Info
- SC5003 - Formula Grants Consolidated Schedule is open in eGrants and due 9/3/20. This schedule will need to be completed before the Perkins V Grant can be accessed.
- At this time the SC3001 (SMART Goal) schedule has been suspended.
- May 15, 2020 - the Perkins Planning Amounts will be posted and the Applicant Designation Form in eGrants will open.
- CLNA for Perkins V is due June 1.
- TEA will be training ESCs on the Perkins V application on May 27.
- Perkins V application will open June 2.
- TEA Grants Division plans to have Perkins application training on June 10 with a repeat on June 17. Will be in zoom, times are TBD.
- Region 15 SSA Members for Perkins V will be required to attend a meeting in June to discuss SSA expenditures and application. Meeting is TBD upon information provided by TEA.
Friday - May 8
- See #4 on page 10. Outside graduations (in any county) are now permitted starting May 29, previously was June 1. See link for more details.
Here we are blessed to be at another Friday. I spent yesterday delivering Perkins orders to a couple of schools. It was really nice to be back doing "normal" ESC things. I have spend just about everyday these past what now, 7 weeks, pounding away at this laptop in my new corner "office" at home. Today I am headed back up to the ESC to unbox all the Proclamation 2021 PrK materials. I stopped counting after 20 boxes. Don't we all love those other duties as assigned assignments? Sigh...ah well it's all good. I am thankful for 19 years at the ESC. I hope you have had a productive and good week. The last day of school is quickly approaching. Keep pressing onward, friends!