Springville Saga Summer Update #1
Springville K-8 Parent Newsletter (8/13/21)
Principal and Assistant Principal's Message
School starts in a little over three weeks and we are busy getting Springville ready for our students and staff! Our custodial crew is working at a fast pace to have everything in tip-top shape. We are finalizing our plans for the year and have a few updates and information to share with you.
We are getting excited for the new year!
Robin Kobrowski and Ellen Arnold
Back to School Dates
September 2: Welcome Back Wolves Event 4:00-6:00pm
September 6-7: No School
September 8: First Day of School for Students in Gr 1-5
September 9: First Day of School for Students in Gr 7-8
September 10: First Day of School for Kindergarten Students-last names beginning with A-M
September 13: First Day of School for Kindergarten Students-last names beginning with N-Z
September 14 - All Kindergarten Students attend school
Parent/Teacher Conference Dates for 2021-22October 21-22: Fall Conferences
April 28-29: Spring Conferences
Welcome Back, Wolves Community Event September 2- Save the Date!
Springville will be hosting a back to school event on September 2nd where students can come drop off their school supplies, see their classroom and meet their teacher!!
Due to the rise in the Delta variant we are requiring that masks be worn at all times and that 3ft of social distance be maintained. We are also asking that only school aged children who attend Springville come with one adult (parent or guardian).
This event is optional for families based on your own individual comfort level. A virtual recorded Back To School message and information from your child's teacher will be pushed out to families by Friday, September 24th. School supplies can come with your student on the first day of school, if you choose not to attend this event.
The Open House will be spread out in the cafeteria, gym and undercover area. This will be self guided and available any time between 4:00 and 6:00.
A ice cream truck will be available with frozen treats for purchase on the bus ramp.
Visiting the classrooms and meeting teachers
Please adhere to the following times when visiting classrooms:
- Last Names A-F 4:00-4:30
- Last Names G-L 4:30-5:00
- Last Names M-S 5:00-5:30
- Last Names T-Z 5:30-6:00
Please have only one adult accompany your student to this event and only school aged children who attend Springville.
We are excited to welcome back new and returning staff into our school community. We have the following staffing update to share:
- Jennifer Hillman, new to BSD, will be a Paraeducator as well as supporting the Office
- Brady Brewer is joining us from Portland Public and Hillsboro as a Learning Specialist
- Lesley Conway is our new Social Worker, joining us from the BSD Newcomer Program
- Devon Julien, an ELD teacher, is also coming from the Newcomer Program
- Crystal Humphries is our other new ELD teacher from Chehalem Elementary
- Stephanie Meeks joins Springville from Salem-Keizer as a Music Specialist
- Makenna West comes from Nancy Ryles ES and the Seattle area schools to Kindergarten
- Abi Lane returns from a leave of absence to our 3rd grade team
- Sara McGuire was temporary last year and accepted a permanent position in 3rd grade
- Erin Sander is coming from Stoller to our 7/8 team where she will teach Social Studies
- Hannah Coursolle is also coming to us from Stoller as our 7/8 math teacher
- Shirley Obermeier is a Paraeducator that worked in a temp position last year at Springville
- Lisa Davis returns as a Paraeducator after serving Springville in many roles over the years
In addition, several Springville staff members changed assignments:
- Kerri Swygard: from 1st grade to Kindergarten
- Katie Sexton: from Kindergarten to 1st Grade
- Susie Dowd: from Kindergarten to 2nd Grade
- Jeremy Birch: from Student Supervisor to Student Success Coach
Classroom Teacher Assignments
We know many of you are anxious and excited to find out which class your child(ren) will be in this year! When we build classrooms, we work very hard as a team to ensure ideal learning environments. Additionally, we consider input that you have provided about your child. We consider learning styles, personalities, academic levels, gender balance, etc. to make the best placements.
Once the process is complete and teachers are informed of their classes, they will be contacting you by email to welcome your child to the class. You can expect to hear from your child’s teacher on Wednesday, September 1st by the end of the day. You may see a tentative teacher assignment in Parent Vue or on Seesaw ahead of the 1st, but please note that these assignments are not final until you receive the email from your child's teacher. Prior to the this date, we often have to make class changes to balance classrooms after new registrations or families move in or out of Springville.
Before the beginning of every school year, we request that parents/guardians of our returning students review and/or update their family and student information. Keeping your family's information up to date is crucial to receiving timely communication from Beaverton School District and ensures that you can be contacted in case of emergency. These updates can be done online through your ParentVUE account. For more information about Enrollment Verification and to begin the verification process, please click the button below.