Let's Get Real in Expository Texts!
Expository Reading & Writing
June 25th & 26th , 2018 / Two-Day Event
Equipping Students to Succeed in Expository Texts!
Expository text reading accounts for the majority of reading we do as adults, yet state test results indicate that this is the type of reading students struggle with the most. Learning how to read to learn requires the reader to intentionally select skills and strategies in order to think within, beyond, and about factual texts. In this two-part series, participants will deepen content knowledge and examine the standards for informational texts. We will explore ways to develop content knowledge and vocabulary before, during, and after reading and writing informational texts. Each day, we will plan for helping students actively and strategically process texts!
San Antonio, TX (SA Airport Area)
10 Benefits of Attending!
2. Gain instructional tools for summarization, inferencing, and processing informational texts.
3. Learn about ways to "marinate" your students in informational texts throughout the year.
4. Explore strategies that take students beyond just the words on the page, and deepen their knowledge of the reading process.
5. Walk away with text preparation techniques that lead to student achievement.
6. Focus on metacognitive strategies to help students construct meaning from their reading.
7. See how educators can effectively plan authentic and rigorous reading instruction.
8. Learn about informational writing and how that is integrated in every content area.
9. Examine the thinking processes that proficient readers use when reading and writing expository texts.
10. Explore expository resources and mentor texts!
Bonus: You will leave with access to an online resource that will take you and your students to hundreds of texts and resources you can use all year long!
And much more!!!
Who Should Attend?
Meet the Presenters!
Kelly Harmon is a national presenter & author who has more than 27 years of experience working with at-risk students. She presents on a wide range of topics including strategies for at-risk learners, guided reading and math Instruction, RTI, technology integration, reading, writing, and instructional strategies highly effective teachers use to increase student achievement. Ms. Harmon works as an instructional coach for schools and districts across the United States. In addition to consulting, she also works with the Bureau of Education and Research, as well as Learning Sciences International, Marzano Center.
Randi Anderson is an elementary educator, blogger, and staff developer with 10 years of experience. She taught third and fourth grade in Title one schools in the Fort Worth area. Before entering the classroom, Mrs. Anderson studied early childhood education and English as a Second Language at The University of Texas at Austin. She has a strong passion for making reading and writing authentic and engaging for all students.
Equipping Students for Expository Conference
Monday, June 25th, 8:30am
850 Halm Boulevard
San Antonio, TX
The location is the La Quinta Inn San Antonio Airport.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
$449 per participant
Contact us for early bird and group discounts!
Early Bird Discount in offered through May 25th, 2018.
Coffee and donuts will be provided each morning.
12 Hours of Professional Development Credit Will Be Awarded
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR REGISTRATION FORM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. EVEN IF IT IS AHEAD OF YOUR PAYMENT. This will let us know to reserve you a seat for the training in the event we have a sold out event.
You can register by faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
To pay by credit card, call our office at (817) 583-1290. We will send you a link to pay your registration fee online through our billing system. Credit Card payments must be received before the date of the seminar to receive the official link the the training.
To pay by purchase order, submit your district PO by email or fax. Please make PO's payable to Kelly Harmon & Associates. Purchase Orders must be received before the date of the seminar to receive the official link to the training. Please contact us if you require a W9 form.
To pay by check, please make checks payable to Kelly Harmon & Associates and mail to 26440 White Eagle Drive San Antonio, TX 78260. Checks must be received before the date of the seminar to receive the official link to the training.
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information Please contact us!
Bring This Training to Your Campus!
Kelly Harmon's Book
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them