Summit Virtual Academy
Weekly Update - Week of March 20, 2023
Spring Is Here (Technically)!
Good afternoon, Blackhawks, and Happy Friday! This past week we sprang ahead with daylight savings time, and this week will mark the official start to spring. While the temperature may not feel like it, Spring is here! This week is the final week before Spring Break. While school is not is session in person, online students do have access to their courses, and if you are behind, you are strongly encouraged to find some time to work and get caught up. Once we return from Spring Break, we have testing and the weather will improve. The end of the year has a way of sneaking up on us, so please make sure students are staying on top of their classes. At this point, students should be between 25% and 50% complete with their courses. April 14 marks the halfway point in the semester, so by then all students should be at least 50% complete in all of their classes with a passing grade. If you notice that they are behind, please work to help them increase their pace or reach out to the office for support. Remember, virtual instructors also offer live support for students in need. This can be an extremely helpful resource if your student is struggling.
As mentioned last week, the application for students to participate in Brandon School District's Summit Virtual Academy Program for the 2023/2024 school year continues to be available to families to complete. Remember, this application is required for all students to be accepted into the program, even current Summit Virtual student. These are due by the end of the day on March 24, which is just two short weeks away. Once applications are submitted, they will be reviewed by a committee and notice of acceptance into the online program will go out in April. Completion of the application does not guarantee acceptance into the program. Students must show that they can be successful in an online setting in order to help ensure the success of our students. If you have any questions, please contact the office. You can access the application here, and on our website.
Counseling departments at the secondary level are continuing to prepare for and begin the scheduling process for students for the upcoming 2023/2024 school year. Just this past week, incoming freshmen and their parents were invited to the BHS performing arts center in order to learn more about the programming and requirements in high school. Students and parents of incoming sixth graders were also invited to BMS for the same purpose. If you have questions about your elective options or courses for next year, whether you plan to continue online with Summit Virtual Academy or return to in person schooling at Brandon Middle or High School, be sure to reach out to Mr. Belluomo in the coming weeks at email@example.com.
Have a great weekend, and Go Blackhawks!
Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3!
- Elementary - MSTEP testing will be completed in May. Students will come in person to Harvey Swanson Elementary School for testing and will need chromebooks and chargers. More details to come.
- Middle School - MSTEP and PSAT8 testing will be completed. Students will com in person to Brandon Middle School to test. For MSTEP testing, chromebooks and chargers will be needed. For PSAT, bring number 2 pencils, calculator, and water. More details to come.
- High School - PSAT for 9th and 10th graders, SAT/MSTEP/Work Keys for 11th graders. PSAT 9 and SAT testing will take place on April 12 at Brandon High School. Be to the school by 7:10. If students arrive after testing has begun, they will not be allowed to test. Please bring a number 2 pencil, water, and calculator. Work Keys and PSAT 10 will be on April 13 at Brandon High School. Be here by 7:10. More details to come. MSTEP for 11th grade will take place on April 18. Chromebooks and chargers will be needed for this test. More details to come.
OSTC Options for 2023
Summit Virtual Academy Application for 2023-2024
Click here to access the application.
Upcoming Dates and Events:
- March 01 - March 24: application window for Summit Virtual Academy for the 2023/2024 school year
- March 17: Saint Patrick's Day, HSE Talent Show at 5:30pm at Harvey Swanson Elementary
- March 21 at 7pm: Spring Choir Concert at BHS Performing Arts Center
- March 24 - April 02: Spring Break, No School
- April 12 at 7:10am: SAT and PSAT 9 testing for 9th and 11th graders at BHS
- April 13 at 7:10am: ACT/WorkKeys testing and PSAT 10 testing for 10th and 11th graders at BHS
- April 18 at 7:10am: MSTEP testing for 11th graders at BHS
Food Pantry For Those in Need
Brandon School District School Closing Guidelines
Reminder of Expectations
- Expect your student to work for roughly 45-60 minutes per day, per course
- By now, you should have been reached out to by a counselor regarding your course progress. These will happen once a week. It is extremely important that you respond to communication. Please note that the student needs to respond and be in communication, not just the parent(s).
- Your main point of contact for content specific questions is your course instructor. If you need help doing so, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 248-627-1820.
Link for elementary overview: https://e.edmentum.com/eoa-getting-started-students-parents-caregivers/
Instructional Model overview for online learning (last page has links embedded to parent orientation presentations):