LCMS Weekly Newsletter
By Tami Gunset
The 2016-2017 school year will be here before we know it and next week we will begin hosting parent informational meetings and visiting with your students about class courses. Please mark your calendars for Tuesday, February 16 for our parent meeting.
2016-2017 Schedule Request Parent Meeting for current 5th, 6th and 7th graders
On February 16 at 6:00pm in the LCMS Cafeteria a parent informational meeting will be held regarding requesting courses and the different course paths your child can take for the 2016-17 school year. I would highly encourage each parent to attend as we will cover questions you will have about your child's 2016-17 schedule.
Schedule request cards will need to be returned by February 19. This is something that you and your child should complete at home. Please let me know if you have any questions.
The card, the lollipop, and the delivery cost only $1.00 and are on sale in the cafeteria during lunch through Thursday, February 11.
So, "show the love" and buy a Valogram to send to your friends, your teachers, your sweetheart, or even yourself!
Tickets will be sold during each lunch period for $5.00 and $7.00 at the door. Ticket sales will on Thursday, February 11.
LCMS 2016 Cheerleader/Mascot Tryout Eligibility
In order for a student to tryout for cheerleader, the following conditions must be met.
· must be academically eligible at the time of tryouts in accordance with UIL regulations;
· must sign up, attend a short meeting, and pick up a packet at the time and place designated by the cheer coach (Tuesday, March 1 at 7:30am in the Middle School Library;
· must have a parent/guardian attend the Mandatory Parent Meeting on Wednesday, March 2 at 5:30pm in the Middle School Auditorium;
· must return the signed Permission Form and Medical Release form by the
designated date (Thursday, March 3 by 3:45pm) to Mrs. Brown in Room 23;
· must not have been removed from any Lubbock-Cooper Cheerleading Squads in the previous year or have been prohibited from tryout due to a review by the cheer coaches/sponsors and administrative team;
· must be available for summer camp and all scheduled practices and attend the entire time (Camp dates tentative May 31-June 2);
· must purchase tryout attire ($20-$25);
· must attend all clinics (March 3 and March 4 4:00-5:30pm) and mock judging (March 8 4:00-5:30pm) (for mock judging the candidate is to wear tryout attire, shoes, and socks that will be worn in front of the judges for cheer coach approval);
· must attend tryout/judging Wednesday, March 9 beginning at 4:00pm (ending time will be determined by how many candidates we have, do not schedule any other event on this day) (tryout is closed);
· must accept financial responsibility for all required items ($650-$800 and other expenses during the 2016-2017 school year).
· must agree to abide by all the rules and guidelines established for cheerleaders at Lubbock-Cooper ISD.
*Tryout material will not be released until after school on the first clinic date (March 3), no exceptions!
The requirements above must be met by the date/time listed, or the
student WILL NOT be allowed to tryout.
Mrs Baird's Teachers On The Rise
There's no better way for students to thank their teacher this Month than to nominate their teachers. Our nomination portal atWWW.MrsBTeacher.com will remain open. Please encourage students to nomination their teachers!
Remember, we have three winners every month during the school year and we would love to visit your school to honor one of your great teachers. Please help us spread the word about the Teacher On The Rise program and encourage students to enter their teachers every month. Teachers On The Rise winners receive great prizes including a $100 United Supermarkets Shopping Spree, a $100 VISA card from Mrs Baird's, and a great prize from the Texas Classroom Teachers Association. To encourage students to enter their teachers, we give each student who nominates a winning teacher a $50 VISA card!
Nomination website: www.MrsBTeacher.com
For questions or additional information, please contact us at: TOTR@prexperts.net
WE KNOW YOUR SCHOOL HAS GREAT TEACHERS, AND WE LOOK FORWARD TO VISITING YOUR CAMPUS TO SURPRISE A DESERVING TEACHER THIS SCHOOL YEAR.
Careers R Us (for current 8th Grade Students)
Careers R Us (for 8th Grade Students)
This is a great opportunity to expose your eighth grade student to careers and help them explore their options before choosing an endorsement to pursue in high school!
Eighth graders will have an opportunity to participate in fun and creative career readiness hands-on activities that will stimulate their imagination and empower them with tools to plan for their future.
April 25, 2016
9:00 am - 11:00 am SESSION IS FULL
12:00 pm - 2:00 pm 100 spots left
April 26, 2016
9:00 am - 11:00 am 10 spots left
12:00 - 2:00 pm 30 spots left
Please call Janie Cedillo to register, 806-281-5830
Space is limited to 100 students per session. Don't wait too long to register!
Reserve Your Pirate Star Yearbook Today!!
Yearbook orders are being taken now! There are two ways to order your copy!
1. Go online to www.balfour.com and type in Lubbock-Cooper Middle School and click on the yearbook to order online by March 25.
2. Turn in this form with your money to Mrs. Brown room 23 (science) by April 8.
*Online sales will end March 25 and order forms need to be turned into Mrs. Brown by April 8 to ensure you get a copy of the amazing Pirate Star Yearbook.
2016 STAAR DATES
- 8th grade Mathematics
- 7th grade Writing
Wednesday, March 30
- 8th grade Reading
Week of May 2-6
- 8th grade Algebra EOC Assessment Window
Monday, May 9
- 6th grade Mathematics
- 7th grade Mathematics
- 8th grade Mathematics ~ Second Administration (those that did not pass in March)
Tuesday, May 10
- 6th grade Reading
- 7th grade Reading
- 8th grade Reading ~ Second Administration (those that did not pass in March)
Wednesday, May 11
- 8th grade Science
Thursday, May 12
- 8th grade Social Studies
Friday, May 13
- STAAR Make-up DEADLINE
Tuesday, June 21
- 8th grade Mathematics ~ Third Administration (those that did not pass in May)
Wednesday, June 22
- 8th grade Reading ~ Third Administration (those that did not pass in May)
Next Two Weeks Calendar Events
- Thursday, February 11 - Boys Basketball vs Frenship MS @ LCHS (6:00pm/7:15pm)
- Thursday, February 11 - Girls Basketball vs Frenship MS @ Frenship MS (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Friday, February 12 - End of Fourth Six Weeks
- Friday, February 12 - Valograms deliverd to students!
- Friday, February 12 - Early Dismissal
- Friday, February 12 - Valentine Dance (7pm-10pm) - Need parent HELP!
- Sunday, February 14 - Valentines Day
- Monday, February 15 - Boys Basketball vs LBMS @ LBMS (5:30pm/6:30pm)
- Monday, Februaray 15 - President's Day
- Monday, February 15 - Fifth Six Weeks Begins
- Tuesday, February 16 - Current 5th, 6th and 7th 2016 Scheduling Meeting in Cafeteria (6pm)
- Thursday, February 18 - LCISD School Board Meeting (7pm)
- Wednesday, February 24 - StuCo Spring Conference @ Estacado HS (All Day)
Attendance Reminders for LCMS:
- School begins at 8:00 AM.
- First bell rings at 7:55 AM.
- Tardy bell rings at 8:00 AM.
- Any arrivals after 8:20 AM are counted as an absence for 1st/9th period.
- If your student is ill, please call in by 10:00 AM. The attendance line phone number is (806) 863-7184 (Sally Aguilar) – it is important to call the attendance line rather than the main line to report an absence.
- Students are allowed up to seven days excused with a parent phone call or parent note.
- After a student's seventh absence, a doctor’s note is required.
- Students are allowed one personal day per year (counted as an excused absence.) Written notice must be approved by campus principal three days prior to the absence. Please keep in mind that the personal day must be taken before the student's seventh absence.
| || |
LCMS Parent Organization Facebook