Week of May 9, 2022
Sunshine & Joy
I hope all of our mothers, grandmothers, great-grandmothers, and aunts had a beautiful Mother's Day!
The weather looks wonderful for being outside. All students will go out to play and should be dressed for the weather. Please be sure names are written on the hoodie tags! All students should be in gym shoes only every day.
This week we have a Vaccine Clinic on the 10th from 10 AM - 2 PM. This clinic will administer all childhood vaccines as well as COVID, COVID boosters, & flu shots. Also, parents do not have to be present. Register, using the link below and fill out the forms. The school will take the students over to get vaccinated. Our 5th-grade students and our PK 4 students have required vaccines for the next school year. This is a great time to get that done! Call the office for more details. All school employees & students may take advantage of this opportunity.
Texting, group chats and social media use have become a distraction to school. We believe that excellence happens on purpose and these distractions interrupt learning time. Please check your child's phone and tablets. Also, see the information below.
This month has so many exciting events! Please check the save the dates! Also, for families who'd like to chaperone. See the section below!
Thank you so much to each family who donated to our Fill The Fridge and Faculty Room project to celebrate our amazing school staff! We are all grateful - it meant a lot!
We reached our goal of 160 students registered for next year. If we can get to 170 by May 31, the ice cream truck will come and all students will celebrate!
To get registered, simply fill out the form today! The fee to register will be taken care of later. We are seeing some classrooms just a few students away from full. Reserve your child's spot today.
Do you have a family to refer to St. Benedict? Referring families will receive a $300 tuition/fees credit next school year! Our families are our best marketers! Keep spreading the good news! Remind your friends and family that the school accepts AFC/Childcare for preschool!
It's also time to register for our five-week summer program - we will close registration on June 7. Students entering PK3 - 5th grade in August are welcome. Families with AFC/Childcare will pay their copay for the program along with any field trip fees. See me or the business office to find out more about the fees. Hold the spot now and help us set up our plans!
Please continue keeping children home who are not feeling well- there are flu bugs, COVID, and other viruses going around. We have a shared responsibility in keeping the school and its community well.
- FOLLOW THE DRESS & UNIFORM CODE: Hoodies and sweatshirts that are not part of the school uniform are not allowed during the school day. Please have your child wear their school hoodie, school gym sweatshirt, or a plain navy blue sweater if they're cold during the day. Please see the school uniform/dress code in our family handbook. We believe that excellence happens on purpose. Lessening distractions of being out of uniform is one way we foster that excellence. We still have light blue hoodies in all sizes and some navy blue hoodies. The orange gym uniform was retired several years ago and is not allowed. A kind shirt may be worn on gym days.
- Students should not have nail polish, artificial nails, any jewelry, or smartwatches. Students do NOT need their cell phones at school. They are kept in the office all day. - This is becoming an issue and it's distracting from learning. Students will be receiving notices. Following the rules and expectations is required at St. Benedict. It may not seem like a big deal when a child wants to paint their nails or wear jewelry, but it sends a message to the child that rules don't matter. It's a distraction and it's disrespectful to everyone who commits to following the expectations. We will have students remove the jewelry and place it in a baggie in their backpack.
- Please be sure to check the "Save the Date" section below.
- The school office is open Monday through Friday 6:30 AM - 3:30 PM. Our amazing office staff can take payments, sell hoodies and polos and answer questions. After 3:30, please leave a message on the mainline or dial 101 at the recording to be connected to my extension. If you need extended day after 3:30, dial 107 at the voicemail message.
Thank you for trusting us with your child/ren. We consider it a privilege. If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.
Social Media and Texting Behavior
We are seeing inappropriate use of social media and texting in students as young as third grade. There is outright bullying, inappropriate language, and very personal pictures being shared.
I implore you to check your child's phone and tablets. No one under 13 should have any social media accounts per the social media apps. If the student activity comes into the school, then all school rules and consequences apply.
The world has become very small very quickly. While there are a lot of good things on social media, students in our school's age range can't always make good decisions on what to post. Please monitor use.
Bowl Free this Summer - look for cards coming home with your child!
Field Trips - Look for Permission Slips!
May 10 - PK goes to Peggy Notebaert Nature Center
May 11 - 8th grade to Northwestern Hospital Cancer Research Center
May 12 - 8th grade to Oakwood Beach for Graduates Prayer Service
May 17 - K & 1 to Peggy Notebaert Nature Center
May 19 - 6th grade to Plant Chicago
May 19 - 7th & 8th to Art Institute of Chicago
May 20 - 8th grade Retreat
May 31 - 3, 4, & 5 to Cedillo Produce Farm
Vaccine Clinic on May 10th - All Childhood Vaccines Available!
Parents do not need to be present; consent forms are below. Please register at https://getvaxchi.chicago.gov/ the code, as this is a private event, is benedict.
For students entering Kindergarten and sixth grade, there are required immunizations. This is a great opportunity to take care of it now!
If students receive a COVID vaccine, the second dose is scheduled for 6/7 at school, too!
2022-2023 School Calendar
2022-2023 Financial Contracts and Forms
The contract will be written without carrying over any part of the 21-22 contract. In July, if necessary, we will make updates.
Please be sure that the phone number and emails we have on Powerschool are accurate.
Tuition Payments - Please call the office with concerns.
Families with Income Tax agreements are expected to make that payment this month. Please let the business office know if there is a problem.
As a reminder, all financial accounts must be settled by May 15th for all graduating students: PK4, Kindergarten, and Eighth grade. That's only 1 week away! Anyone with a balance will not be allowed to participate in any graduation programs. Please see me with any concerns.
Volunteering & Chaperoning
Go to https://www.virtusonline.org/virtus/ to register for an online class and consent to the background check. Please see or email Ms. Fernandez (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you need assistance or have a question.
Thank you for your commitment to completing the family PAW obligation. All PAWS must be done by 5/15. If you aren't sure of the remaining number of PAWS on your account, please call the main office.
Thanks for your help!
UPCOMING IMPORTANT DATES!
- May 9th - Morning Assembly - Kick off iReady Diagnostic Testing and celebrate scholars!
- May 10th - Kind Shirt Day
- May 10th - Vaccine Clinic - All childhood vaccines and COVID are available
- May 19th - Kind Shirt Day
- May 30th - Memorial Day - no school
- June 1st - Last day of classes for 8th grade
- June 2nd - Candle & Ribbon 1pm (Grades 7 & 8)
- June 3rd - Last day of school for all students, PK & K graduations (NO Extended day)
- June 4rd - Eighth Grade graduation 10 AM - St. Kilian Church
- June 13th - July 14th - Summer Program
- August 22nd - First day of the 2022 -2023 school year. Full-Day for all students, no extended day.