Plano West Senior High School
Blue Nation: Leading with Pride!
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
- Daily Character Quote
- AVID Teacher of the Month
- Students Attending Collin College
- Plano Principals Association Golf Classic
- From The Nurse: Medications
- Instructions to Request Final Transcripts
- Upcoming Summer Camp
- HONOR GRADUATES
- NHS Graduation Stoles
- Spring Semester Exam Schedule
- AVID Selling PWSH Sunglasses
- Senior Final Rank/GPA
- Transcripts for Summer Programs or Scholarships
- Graduation Cap and Gown
- Bus Schedule for Finals Week
- PWSH Counseling is now using Remind
- Final Exam Grade Waiver and Final Exam Exemption Guidelines
"If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges."
Congrats to Ms. Haskins for being voted by the students as the AVID Counselor of the Month! Thank you for all that you do!
A note to all students who will be attending Collin College for the first time in the fall: you will need to attend orientation prior to registering for classes. Orientation sessions are going on now. For more information visit www.collin.edu and click on "New Student Orientation" or call 972.377.1750.
Plano Principals Association Golf Classic - Friday, June 17th at Ridgeview. See flyer below.
YEARBOOK INFORMATION: If you did not pick up your pre-ordered yearbook on May 17, you need to come to A2084 (the publications workroom) and pick it up.
Also, we have some more we are selling, but need to charge tax now. $108.25 cash only…room A2084 or the front office. Thank you!
From the Nurse: MEDICATIONS
* Your student's As Needed Medication(s) will need to be picked up from the school clinic no later than Wednesday, June 1, 2016.
* Emergency Medications and Diabetic Supplies will need to be picked up no later than noon on Thursday June 2, 2016. Emergency medications and diabetic supplies may be picked up by the student.
* Daily medication(s) will need to be picked up no later than noon, Friday, June 3, 2016.
Unused medication will not be sent home with a student. The exception is a rescue medication that the student has permission to carry, or insulin and diabetic supplies. Medication that is not picked up will be destroyed without notification.
The clinic will be open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
SENIORS: Instructions to Request Final Transcripts1. Log in to Naviance – Family Connection
2. Click “About Me” tab
3. Click “Senior Survey – Plano West” link
4. Complete the survey questions
5. Click “Submit Answers” button
6. Click “Colleges” tab at the top
7. Click “Transcripts” link on left side of the page
8. Click “View status of all my transcript requests”
9. If information is correct, screen print the “Transcript Status” page and turn it in to the Registrar’s Office
10. Final transcript requests should be turned in to the Registrar’s Office before the first exam day – by May 27th
If you are not able to complete the “Senior Survey – Plano West” in Naviance, please ask the Registrar for a different Final Transcript Request form.
Seniors who have taken Collin dual credit courses should also request a final transcript to be sent to Collin College.
Also, if a transcript is needed for NCAA or NAIA, please complete the request form at the Registrar’s Office.
The Registrar’s Office will be closed May 31 - June 24th for end-of-year grading and sending senior final transcripts. We will be open the end of June through the summer.
Upcoming Summer Camp: UT Austin Women in Engineering Summer Camp, June 20-24 - See Naviance for details.
- In order to qualify for a white Honor Stole you must have a cumulative GPA of 3.60 and above.
- Your GPA is located on your current transcript available from the Registrar’s Office.
- Honor Stoles will be available May 20-27 at the Registrar’s Office.
- The cost is $12.00, CASH ONLY. You must have picture ID.
- There will be no extra Honor Stoles at the graduation ceremony, so don't forget yours!
NHS graduation stoles will be on sale in the foyer outside the cafeteria during both lunches May 23-26. The cost is $26 (cash only) and may be purchased by any senior NHS member who has completed all volunteer hours and currently has at least a 3.60 GPA.
Spring Semester Exam Schedule - See information below.
AVID Selling PWSH Sunglasses - AVID is selling PWSH sunglasses for $3. Come by A2064 to purchase your pair before we run out! See picture below.
Senior Final Rank/GPA is now available – before 1st period, during passing periods, both lunches, and any time after 6th period – at the Registrar’s Office.
Need a transcript for a summer program or scholarship? If an official transcript is required, you should turn in a request to the Registrar’s Office at least one week before the program/scholarship deadline. We do not e-mail official transcripts. Official transcripts must be faxed or mailed from the Registrar’s Office. You will need to provide the fax number or mailing address. If an unofficial transcript is acceptable, you may use a personal copy. If you need more information, stop by the Registrar’s Office before 1st period, during passing periods, during lunch times, or any time after 6th period.
Graduation Cap and Gown - See information below.
Early Release Bus Schedule for Finals Week - See schedule below.
PWSH Counseling is now using Remind! All students and parents are encouraged to join.
Text @pwshcouns to 81010
You can opt-out of messages anytime by texting ‘unsubscribe @pwshcouns’
Or, to receive these messages from the Counselors via email, send an email to:
Final Exam Grade Waiver and Final Exam Exemption Guidelines. See below.
Dear Parents and 2016 Graduates:
Plano West Senior High School students are preparing for the end of the school year and we look forward to the success of each of our seniors. The faculty and staff appreciate our parents for all of their support in helping to keep our seniors focused on their education and future events.
Please utilize this informative packet and contact the school with questions as we are available and eager to assist. Below is a calendar of events for your immediate attention:
- May 2-13 AP Testing
- May 17 Student Recognition Assembly
PTSA sponsored Senior lunch during both lunch periods.
Senior Awards Night at 7:00 p.m. in the Plano West Auditorium.
- May 23 Pick up Senior Check-out information sheet and sign Behavior Contract in your Assistant Principal’s office.
- May 27 Student Holiday/Teacher Professional Development
- May 30 Memorial Day (Student/Teacher Holiday)
- May 31-June 3 Final Exams: Students must be present for exam periods for which they are scheduled even if NO test is administered. Also, students may not switch tests from one period to another. Vacation days, college orientation, summer jobs, etc. should be scheduled around published exam days. Students must return their textbook to take the final exam. Seniors that qualify for exam exemptions must still be in attendance at school for exam days.
- May 31, June 1 Mandatory Graduation Rehearsal in the Plano West Auditorium. Detailed information is available on page 2.
- June 3 Senior check out, tickets and blue card pick up from 3:00-4:00 p.m. in the Old Gym and Gray Gym. Seniors must have all textbooks returned and fines cleared to receive the tickets and BLUE CARD for Graduation entry. Each graduating Senior will receive 5 tickets for guests for the ceremony.
- June 9 Graduation Ceremony: The graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 7:30 p.m. and end at 9:30 p.m. Guests must have a ticket for entry into the Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center (1 ticket per person). Students must arrive at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center-Exhibit Hall A by 6:30 p.m. All graduates and guests must leave the Convention Center within one hour after the graduation ceremony.
Counselors will verify eligibility for graduation prior to ticket distribution.
Randall Ford A-Bul 469-752-9626
Pam Frey Bum-Dr 469-752-9678
Joel Ledezma Du-Han 469-752-9705
Julie Tallant Hao-Kel 469-752-9618
Delinda Dudley Kem-May 469-752-9760
Mary Beth Randecker Maz-Pas 469-752-9617
Michelle Altom Pat-Sc 469-752-9715
Christine Haskins Se-Tr 469-752-9679
Tracy Stafford Ts-Z 469-752-9619
- June 9 Diplomas will be distributed immediately following the Graduation Ceremony in Exhibit Hall A.
- June 27 – August 31, 2016 Diplomas may be picked up at the registrar’s office at Plano West Senior High School.
Graduates will participate in a recessional from the Arena and will return to Exhibit Hall A at the conclusion of the graduation ceremony. Guests will remain seated during the recessional and will be adjourned after the graduates have exited the Arena. Families will meet their graduates in Exhibit Hall A following the ceremony.
Plano West teachers, principals, and counselors want to assist our students and families in making certain all students meet the necessary graduation requirements. Parents, please stay in close contact with our staff especially if your student is not experiencing success in a particular class. We strive to have “no surprises” in determining a student’s graduation status.
It is my pleasure to serve as the principal of Plano West Senior High School. I wish the best of luck to the Class of 2016!
Katherine King, Principal
Plano West Senior High School
Expectations for the Graduation Rehearsal and Ceremony
- Seniors are to pick up their check-out form in the Sub-School Office beginning
Monday, May 23, 2016
- Graduating seniors will sign this Behavior Expectations Form and return it to the sub-school office prior to participating in the MANDATORY graduation rehearsal and ceremony.
- Graduation rehearsal will be held in the auditorium at Plano West Senior High School as follows:
- May 31 12:00-1:00 p.m. Exempt Seniors with last names (A-Led) will attend graduation rehearsal in the auditorium. (Arctic and Lobos Sub-Schools)
1:10-2:00 p.m. Graduation rehearsal for remaining Seniors with last names (A-Led) in the auditorium.
- June 1 12:00-1:00 p.m. Exempt Seniors with last names (Lee-Z) will attend graduation rehearsal in the auditorium. (Timber and Tundra Sub-Schools)
1:10-2:00 p.m. Graduation rehearsal for remaining Seniors with last names (Lee-Z) in the auditorium.
Should you not be able to attend graduation practice on your designated day, please notify the assistant principal in your sub-school office:
Dr. Victor Nixon, Assistant Principal (A-Fin)
Dr.Camica Evans-Brown, Assistant Principal (Fis-Lee) Hilda (Sam) Scott, Secretary (469-752-9716) Hedy Di Sarro, Secretary (469-752-9722)
Dr. Kevin Lyons, Assistant Principal (Leg-Rom)
Mr. Michael Cruz, Assistant Principal (Ros-Z) Bonnie Neumann, Secretary (469-752-9720) Leona Hardiman, Secretary (469-752-9725)
Arrival Time: Graduates are expected to arrive at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center no later than 6:30p.m. in Exhibit Hall A.
● Royal blue gown and cap with the royal blue, black, and white tassel are required for participation in graduation services. Girls are expected to wear an appropriate dress without a collar and dress shoes. Boys are expected to wear dark dress slacks, long-sleeved white dress shirt, tie, and dark dress socks and shoes. Graduates will be inspected by a line supervisor (Plano West Teacher/Staff Member) prior to entering the floor at the KBHCC.
● Lettering and/or decorations will not be allowed on caps or gowns.
● Shorts will not be allowed.
● Athletic shoes and sandals will not be allowed.
● Only approved regalia (cords, stoles, etc.) are permitted.
Conduct: The purpose of the graduation ceremony is to honor the Plano West Senior High School graduating class of 2016. This event will be conducted in a dignified manner. Graduates should conduct themselves in a way that will bring credit to themselves, their classmates and their family. The graduation ceremony is not the place for disruptive behavior. Purses, back packs, fog horns, cell phones, music devices, chewing gum, laser pens, sunglasses, food, drinks, cameras, game devices, silly string, confetti, etc. are prohibited during the graduation ceremony. The throwing of any items other than graduate caps at the appropriate time will result in removal of the student from the arena and their diploma will be withheld until a conference can be scheduled with the principal.
Graduation Ceremony - Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 7:30 P.M.
Kay Bailey Hutchison, Dallas Convention Center, 650 Griffin Street, Dallas, Texas 75202 www.dallasconventioncenter.com
STUDENTS REPORT TO THE KAY BAILEY HUTCHISON DALLAS CONVENTION CENTER
BY 6:30 p.m.
Detailed Graduation Ceremony information is available on the Plano ISD webpage at http://pisd.edu/graduation/ or on the Plano West Senior High School website at http://k-12.pisd.edu/Schools/pwsh/news/graduation.html.
SENIOR ARRIVAL AT THE CONVENTION CENTER:
Students are to arrive by 6:30 p.m. and report to their line in Exhibit Hall A. Students must bring their cap, gown, tassel and their blue card certifying them eligible for graduation. Additionally, ladies are expected to wear an appropriate dress without a collar and dress shoes. Gentlemen are expected to wear dark dress slacks, long-sleeved white dress shirt, tie, and dark dress socks and shoes. Graduates will be inspected by a line supervisor (Plano West Teacher/Staff Member) prior to entering the floor at the KBHCC. Lettering and/or decorations will not be allowed on caps or gowns. Shorts will not be allowed. Athletic shoes and sandals will not be allowed.
The Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center has 1,200 parking spaces. Provider is ACE Parking (214-671-9509). Charge is $12.00 per entry, per vehicle. Enter the convention center parking garages on Lamar or Griffin Streets; heading south, turn left on Memorial Drive into garages (cash or credit card); Additional ACE parking is available. Traffic officers will direct guests to the following lots once parking garage is full: Lot C has 175 spaces (Lamar and Griffin Streets) (cash or credit card); Lot E and surrounding lots have 2,000 spaces (Hotel Street and Memorial Drive, about a ½-mile walk from the Convention Center (cash only).
DART--Dallas Area Transit:
Red and Blue Rail Lines both stop directly at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center. For further information you may contact DART #214-979-1111 or visit the website for specific rates, schedules and other information at .http://www.dart.org/schedules/schedules.asp
Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center will be opened at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, June 9, 2016; the Graduation Ceremony will begin promptly at 7:30 p.m. Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center employees will conduct a search of each attendee at every entry to the Graduation Ceremony. NO large bags, duffel bags, backpacks, noise makers, tobacco products, lighters, weapons, signs, etc. will be allowed into the Kay Bailey Hutchison Dallas Convention Center.
Guests requiring handicapped seating will be seated on the arena floor with one additional guest at Entrance #4.
For advanced reservations, call AABCO Ready Rental at 972-412-3500 or email at email@example.com
The television broadcast will air on WFAA digital channel 8.2 and the webcast of the graduation ceremony will air at wfaa.com/graduation on June 9, 2016. Post event broadcasts will be replayed all summer (Monday-Saturday at 8:00 p.m.) on Plano ISD’s Time Warner cable channel 99 and Verizon FIOS channel 33.
GRADUATION PHOTOGRAPHS AND VIDEOTAPING:
Flash Photo will be present at the Graduation Ceremony to take your graduate’s photograph while walking across the stage. For information regarding photos, you may contact Flash Photography 214-443-9393 and/or order at www.FlashPhotography.com. PISD is pleased to partner with GradMemory to bring a special graduation memoir for the Class of 2016. You may order a personalized copy of the graduation ceremony on DVD for $24.99 plus shipping at www.gradmemory.com or e-mail them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please feel free to call Danice Johnson at 469-752-9603 should you have any questions regarding graduation.
PWSH Graduation Information Link - http://k-12.pisd.edu/schools/pwsh/news/graduation.html
SUMMER SCHOOL 2016
SUMMER SCHOOL REGISTRATION-HIGH SCHOOL
On-line registration for High School Summer School is available Monday, March 21st. Counselors must pre-approve courses in the registration portal. To register, visit with your counselor about course selections, then login to parent portal and complete the student emergency information from any computer with internet access. Courses pre-approved by the student’s counselor will be viewable and available for selection. Online registration and payment is the most efficient and convenient way to enroll in Summer School courses. Questions regarding registration can be directed to the campus counseling office.
- June 13 - June 30
- 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
- July 5 - July 22
- 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
- July 1, July 4
- Note: On the last day of each session students will be released at 10:00 am.
- Only one absence is permitted per session.
Plano East Senior High School, 3000 Los Rios Blvd, Plano TX 75074
- English, Spanish, Math, Communication Applications and SAT-PSAT Preparation Classes.
Plano West Senior High School, 5601 West Parker Road, Plano, TX 75093
- Social Studies, Science, Physical Education and Health.
For a comprehensive list of High School Summer School course offerings, visit: http://www.pisd.edu/students/summer.school/high.school.shtml
PWSH Athletics and Clubs/Jasper and Shepton Announcements
- Tennis Camps - "New"
- Plano ISD Diving
"New" Tennis Camps - There will be 2 tennis camps held at Plano West this summer for kids 8-14 years old. The dates are June 6-10, and August 1-5. To sign up go to Highpointtennis.com , click on the “Classes” tab at the top, then select “Junior Camps”, then scroll down to find your best option for registration. For more information contact Morgen Walker at Morgen.email@example.com.
Plano ISD Diving - We are looking for Divers for our Plano ISD High Schools. We need boys and girls with the courage to try new things, risk takers who thrive at trying to stretch the limits of what most can only imagine. Coach Solow is looking for former gymnasts and those willing to challenge themselves on a daily basis. Divers will need to sign up for the diving class which is offered Monday through Friday from 6:30-8:00 a.m. Practices are at Oak Point Pool and will begin the first day of school next fall. All divers will need to fill out all athletic forms and turn in a copy of a recent physical to Coach Solow. See you this fall.
PTSA/PWSH Booster Clubs
- Ice Hockey Club Tryouts
- Menchie's FFA Fundraiser
- Senior Shirts at Reduced Price
- Chess Club
- Youth for Christ
PLANO WEST ICE HOCKEY CLUB TRYOUTS - MARK YOUR CALENDAR
The Plano West Ice Hockey Club regular season tryouts will be held this summer in mid August. Please mark your calendar to check our website, www.planowesthockeyclub.com, in August for tryout information. All 8th - 12th grade hockey players that live within the Plano West boundaries are eligible to participate. Our season runs from September - March. Be a part of the Plano West Hockey tradition! Like us on Facebook.
Menchie's FFA Fundraiser - See flyer below.
Senior Shirts at Reduced Price
Senior shirts are now $5 until they are gone. Come and get yours in room G212.
Chess Club will meet on Wednesdays in A1167 during both lunches. All skill levels are welcome, from beginner to advanced.
Youth for Christ meets every Wednesday at 4:15 p.m. in Ms. Gomez's room, A2030. Everyone and anyone is welcome.
Class of 2016 Elementary Reunions
- Barksdale Elementary
- Centennial Elementary
- Dooley Elementary
- Forman Elementary
- Harrington Elementary
- Haun Elementary
- Huffman Elementary
- Jackson Elementary
- Matthews Elementary
- Mendenhall Elementary
- Mitchell Elementary
- Schell Elementary
- Stinson Elementary
- Thomas Elementary
- Wells Elementary
- Wyatt Elementary
Barksdale Elementary - Wednesday, May 25th, 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Centennial Elementary - Thursday, May 26th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Dooley Elementary - Tuesday, May 24th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Cafeteria
Forman Elementary - Tuesday, May 24th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Harrington Elementary - Thursday, May 26th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Haun Elementary - Tuesday, May 24th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Huffman Elementary - Tuesday, May 24th, 4:00-6:00 p.m. 2016 Library
Jackson Elementary - Thursday, May 26th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Matthews Elementary - Wednesday, May 25th 4:30-6:30 p.m. Gym
Mendenhall Elementary - Wednesday, May 25th 4:30-6:00 p.m. Library
Mitchell Elementary - Thursday, May 26th 4:30-5:30 p.m. Library
Schell Elementary - Thursday, May 26th 4:30-5:30 p.m. Library
Stinson Elementary - Wednesday, May 25th 5:00-6:00 p.m. Cafeteria
Thomas Elementary - Thursday, May 26th 4:30-5:30 p.m. Library
Wells Elementary - Tuesday, May 24th 4:30 - 6:00 p.m. Gym
Wyatt Elementary - Wednesday, May 25, 2016 4:15-6:15 p.m. Cafeteria