Ligon Outdoor Center
Welcome Back! Overview and Updates - Fall 2020
Ligon's 2020 Return to Use Guide
There are plenty of opportunities to have a meaningful, outdoor, environmental education and recreation experience at Ligon. The 268 acre Ligon Outdoor Center property offers three enclosed buildings, two pavilions and six miles of trails that allow for substantial outdoor distancing along with access to indoor facilities.
All use of the Ligon Outdoor Center will be within the guidelines of Executive Order 2020-14 and also Michigan’s 2020- 21 Return to School Roadmap (Full Document).
Please review the sections below to learn more about how Ligon can offer premium learning opportunities and experiences while maintaining standards of safety for all visitors!
HEALTH AND SAFETY MEASURES
- All facilities have been cleaned and disinfected.
- Regular scheduled cleaning will occur, especially “touch-points''.
- Hand soap and sanitizer, along with disinfectant wipes and sprays are available at each facility throughout the Ligon property.
- All students, teachers and parents must go through their district's pre-screening health check-in procedure.
- If any visitors are unable to do so with their district, they must go through the GISD health check procedure, which includes a temperature scan and completion of a visitor health check form.
Design Measures / Facility Occupancy
Design measures are set up to control the flow of people entering buildings and interior flow patterns where applicable; building/room occupancy restrictions are established.
While any outdoor activities will allow room to “spread out”, the indoor facilities are limited to the following numbers of occupants under phases 4 and 5.
Building/Room Occupancy limits
Conference Center Upper Level 20
Conference Center Lower Level 8
Stone House 12
Lodge Pavilion 10
- Esker Pavilion 10
We kindly ask that visitors do not move the tables and chairs as they are set-up according to the recommendations for proper social distancing.
THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN VISITING...
- All food must be served as individually prepared meals.
- These must either be school provided, individually packaged servings or meals brought from home.
- No buffet or “family style” meals will be allowed at this time. This includes any catering service for adult in-service meetings.
The following Ligon programs are recommended allowing for social distancing. While these are examples of what is possible to social distance at Ligon, topics and activities are not limited to these suggestions. There are many possibilities while still following social distancing guidelines. Please contact Ranger Jason Bentley to discuss more options 810-560-2187.
Orienteering-Finding my way in the Forest
Geocaching-Finding locations in the Forest
Sorting and Classifying Nature
Are you predator or prey?
What is a watershed?
The Life of a Pond
A Seeds Journey
Shadow and Light
Can Trees Breathe?
Please note that it will be the responsibility of the adult visitors/teachers/chaperones to make sure all students adhere to the social distancing requirements while at Ligon. The Ranger will explain the expectations upon arrival, but will not be able to monitor/enforce these requirements for each visiting group. We appreciate your assistance with making sure all visitors remain as safe as possible!