November 28, 2021
Messages from Principal Lefere
The staff at Howbert hope that everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving break. We are excited to welcome the students back to school for three more weeks filled with learning!
Howbert Guiding Coalition (SAC)
- We will be having a special Guiding Coalition meeting on Thursday, December 16th.
- In an effort to provide a better opportunity for families to attend, we will have two meeting times; one at 8:15 a.m. and another at 4:00 p.m. Families can also choose to join either meeting virtually via Webex (https://cssd11.webex.com/cssd11/j.php?MTID=m3221053bd5db5b5bb97df72291c99a14).
- During the Guiding Coalition meeting I will be presenting information about District 11's Academic Master Plan and school pathways. I will then ask for questions and feedback about Howbert's possible application to become a pathway for outdoor education.
- Howbert has internet hotspots available. If your child must be out because of quarantine or isolation and you need internet connection, we have free hotspots so that she/he can keep up with their learning at home. If you feel like you and your child would benefit from a hotspot, please contact Lisa Schott in the library.
- Howbert is hiring for a Special Education Educational Assistant. This is a full time position with benefits. If you are interested, please see the job posting here: External Job Postings or contact Toby Lefere.
- Howbert is also looking for a long term teacher substitute (half-time) to serve as our gifted resource teacher during the second semester. Mrs. Herrera will be out on maternity leave. Please contact Toby Lefere if interested.
Choice Open Enrollment for 2022-2023 School Year
- Our Choice Open Enrollment window has opened! It will remain open until February 15th, 2022. Available spaces will be assigned and families will be notified in late February or early March. Families can apply here: https://www.d11.org/Page/308. Be sure to select the 2022-2023 school year.
UPDATE: 30th Street Corridor Project
- There will be a temporary bypass located on Northbound 31st Street near Water Street as water line work is completed. This bypass will begin on Friday, Nov. 29th. See the link below for NEW information about closings and improvements to streets surrounding Howbert.
ILLNESS AND COVID REMINDER
Please note: If someone in your household is being tested for Covid, please notify the office.
Band & Orchestra Concerts - December 15th
The orchestra concert will begin at 6:30 in the gym. Orchestra students should arrive in Mrs. Dickey’s music room at 6:00 to get tuned up. Parents should go straight to the gym to get their seats. Students can leave cases and jackets in Mrs. Dickey’s music room against the walls. After the orchestra concert, they may go back in there to quietly pack up their things. Please make sure they take anything they brought with them from the music room (music, instrument and jacket). Band parents will be coming in to get seated as soon as the orchestra concert is finished. The band will be getting ready at the same time so this could be tricky!
The Band concert begins at 7:15. Students should arrive at 7:00 in Mrs. Dickey’s music room. When Mrs. Kennedy is finished with the orchestra concert, she’ll join band students in the music room to get warmed up. Band parents, please wait to get your seats until the orchestra concert is finished (no later than 7:00.) After our concert, we’ll need to clean up everything. Chairs, stands, etc. And make sure Mrs. Dickey’s music room is all cleaned up, too. Parent help would be greatly appreciated.
Please remind your child to practice regularly, about 20-30 minutes a day. They have a list of songs to be practicing. When they practice, what you hear should sound like real songs now!
Dress for the winter concert is “fancy”. Dress up nice!
Be sure the students remember to bring their instrument and their music!
- Everyone, including students will be required to wear a facemask. Extras will be available if needed.
- Everyone will need to enter through the front door and adults need to scan the QR Code for the health screening form before entering the building. (Children don’t need to.) Here’s the link: Visitor Health Screening Form
- We ask that families give adequate audience spacing to follow the Covid safety protocols.
The students are working hard and getting very excited to perform for you!
Thank you for supporting Music Education in our schools!
If you have any questions, please email.
See you there!
Howbert is seeking volunteers to help with a variety of activities in our school! Each week, we will list volunteer opportunities here. There will either be a link to sign up or you can always give the school a call and we'll be happy to help.
- We need happy Holiday helpers for the Holiday Gift Shop :) . Please follow THIS LINK to see the dates/times that are available.
❤The gift of your time is priceless to our students❤
The Howbert PTO meets the 2nd Thursday of every month at 4pm. We will be meeting in-person but will also have a virtual option for those that would prefer to attend on WebEx.
*** Our next meeting is on Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 4pm. ***
We would love to see you at the meetings! It is a great way to share your thoughts, hear about happenings in the school and support the Howbert staff and students. And you don't have to commit to anything! Come to as many or as few meetings as works for you and your schedule.
📞Howbert Contact Info📱
Monday - Friday 7:30am - 3:30pm
Monday - Friday 8am - 2:30pm
Front Office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tech Help: email@example.com