Leonardo Da Vinici
Where and when was he born?
- Born on April 15, 1452 in Vinci Italy
Where did he spend most of his life?What was his lifestyle like?
- He spent most of his life in Florence, Milan, and Italy
- He was extremely smart and focussed mainly on his artwork
- He didn't have personal relationships with women
- Finishing an art piece took him a very long time
- He received basic elementary education from his father
- Later, he was apprenticed by his father to Andrea del Verrocchio who was an artist
- He became an employer of her studios
- While he was there he met many important artists and learned form them
What type of art did he create
- His art consisted of mainly paintings
- He enjoyed painting self portraits and sculptures
- Some famous pieces are "The Last Supper", "The Mona Lisa", and "John the Baptist'
Who were his Patrons?
- Ludovico Sforza
- Cesarse Borgia
- King of France
"The Last Supper"
Location of the piece today?
- original copy is on the dining hall wall in the convent of Santa Maria delle Grazle
- location is in Milan Italy
- copies of "The Last Supper"can be found on everything from mirrors to mousepads
Significance of Painting?
- all of the people in the painting have emotions that are identifiable
- All of the elements in the painting direct attention to christ's head which is the midpoint of the painting
Why is this piece interesting to me?
- His painting was the first to show religious characters that had common human emotions
- It is the # 1 reproduced religious paining of all time.
Renaissance "ism" ideas
- "The Last Supper" is linked to humanism because it demonstrates real people acting like real people and also there are hills in the background which demonstrate real life
- Leonardo Da Vinci is also linked to humanism because he focused on his accomplishments and tried to use reason to try to solve problems that he saw
AR: Leonardo da Vinci
TI: Last Supper
TI: Last Supper
"Leonardodavinci" Encyclopedia of world biography,
Detroit:Gale 1998 Biography in context.web.