Egg to Chick
Brenham ISD Outdoor Education
Chicks are a'hatching!
What to do now?
(from Hatching Eggs in the Classroom: A Teacher’s Guide)
- Increase the ventilation to give the chicks enough oxygen. Some incubators have plugs that can be removed for this purpose.
- When all the chicks have hatched, lower the temperature to 95°F.
- Discard eggs that do not hatch by the end of Day 22.
- Do not help a chick free itself from the shell; that does more harm than good. Weak or deformed chicks should be disposed of humanely.
- There is no need to provide food or water for the first 2 or 3 days the chick is outside the shell.
When to move them to the brooder
There are two links below that have different information. The decision is easy if - like me - you don't have a brooder set up just yet!
Setting Up a brooder
Email Natalie James to get what you need for your chicks.