Corey, Aris, Kennedy, Kalin,Avani
Pros and Cons
The pros of wind energy are:
- Wind energy is a green energy source and does not cause pollution.
- The potential of wind power is enormous – 20 times more than what the entire human population needs.
- Wind power is renewable and there is no way we can run out of it (since wind energy originates from the sun).
- Wind turbines are incredible space-efficient. The largest of them generate enough electricity to power 600 U.S. homes.
- Wind power only accounts for about 2.5% of total worldwide electricity production, but is growing at a promising rate of 25% per year (2010).
- The cons of wind energy are:
- 1.Wind is a fluctuating (intermittent) source of energy and is not suited to meet the base load energy demand unless some form of energy storage is utilized (e.g. batteries, pumped hydro).
- 2.The manufacturing and installation of wind turbines requires heavy upfront investments – both in commercial and residential applications.
- 3.Wind turbines can be a threat to wildlife (e.g. birds, bats).
- 4.Noise is regularly reported as a problem by neighboring homes.
- 5.How wind turbines look (aesthetics) is a legitimate concern for some people.