SCCS Home Bulletin
March 8, 2023
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED
FROM DR. B.
Happy Wednesday, Trailblazers!
This week, we’ll continue with our series the Stories of SCCS. These stories are meant to feature what God is doing through His people at Sioux Center Christian School. We celebrate the talents and gifts that He has given to our faculty and staff.
Have a great rest of your week!
THE STORIES OF SCCS: Emily Van Den Berg, Behavior Specialist
How long have you served/been at/been involved with SCCS?
- 3 years
What's something interesting about you?
- I am a HUGE Green Bay Packers fan, grew up as a season ticket holder, and now even own a share of stock in the team. (I am still waiting on the organization to call me to come help coach.) :)
How does your role fulfill the mission of Sioux Center Christian School? How are you Living God’s Story at SCCS?
- As the Behavior Specialist, I get to celebrate each child and the unique and wonderful way that God created them. I can help them navigate their place in God's story by teaching them appropriate ways to keep their body and emotions regulated. I can help provide the structure that they need to allow them to glorify God in their work and play.
Why do you choose to be part of the SCCS community?
- I love being part of a community that truly values and loves each and every student that walks through our doors. Each staff member at SCCS not only teaches academics but works diligently to come alongside the whole child to celebrate their unique gifts and to help them find their place in God's world.
Which throughline do you most identify with and why?
- I identify with the throughline of Community Builder. I strive to continue to build community in our school by teaching coping skills, social skills, and emotional regulation skills to students and by collaborating with students, teachers, and paras to ensure that each classroom is a safe and positive learning environment.
What is most important to you about SCCS?
- The way our school teaches for transformation is what I think is most important here. We are equipping our students with skills and knowledge that will follow them long after they leave our school.
8TH GRADERS TO DES MOINES
Last week, our 8th graders traveled to Des Moines and had an amazing time seeing our government in action at the state level.
They had the opportunity to hear Governor Reynolds speak at the Education Celebration rally, spoke with Senator Jeff Taylor and Representative Skyler Wheeler about what their positions hold and look like. They also toured the dome, and had a personal meet and greet with Lieutenant Governor Adam Gregg!
This was a wonderful learning experience for our students - they had the opportunity to connect classroom curriculum to real people and historical events! Thank you to our elected officials for taking the time to connect with our next generation of leaders!
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- The Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP) for Grades 3-8 will take place Monday, March 13 through Wednesday, March 15.
TRANSPORTATION - March 16 and 17
ROUND UP INFORMATION
Is your child ready to start school this fall? It is TK/Kindergarten Round Up time, and we’d love to share more about how God’s children are Treasured, Trained, and Transformed at Sioux Center Christian School.
Families interested in learning more are encouraged to register for the following events:
- Sneak Peek of SCCS on March 10 or March 17 @ 9:30-10:30 AM
- TK/K Round Up on March 30 or 31
Call our school office (712-722-0777) or visit our website: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/tkkroundup.cfm to register or request more information.
If you know of a family who might be ready to start their journey at SCCS, please share this announcement with them or fill out our “Refer a Family to SCCS” form on our website. We are excited to welcome the next generation of young learners to Live God’s Story at our school!
Do you have a child who will attend preschool next year? 4Care is an opportunity for children who attend half-day preschool to enjoy hands-on, child-led, play-based learning at SCCS on the half-day they are not in preschool.
Students may enroll in a morning or afternoon session, plus we offer a full-day Friday 4Care option.
You may reserve your child’s place in 4Care here: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/studentlife/4care.cfm
We have a great relationship with Stepping Stones Preschool! Their online registration is now open. Click here for more info: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/editoruploads/files/4Care/Stepping_Stones_23-24.pdf
Click here for the registration page: https://www.dordt.edu/about-dordt/offices-and-services/academic-centers/stepping-stones
PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCES - MARCH 15 & 16
Parent Teacher Conferences will be held on Wednesday, March 15 (2:30-6:00pm) and Thursday, March 16 (4:00-8:00pm). All conferences (TK-8) will be just parents and teachers.
We highly value our relationship with parents and want to provide the opportunity to have a conference this spring to discuss your child’s progress at school. These are optional conferences, so please sign up if you would like to connect with the teacher(s).
TALES AND TRAILS SUMMER CAMP
Registration is OPEN for our Tales and Trails Summer Camp 2023! This is an educational and fun summer opportunity for kids who are 5-11 years old by June 1, 2023.
This program is designed to be educational, fun, and infused with our Christian perspective.
Weekly camp themes encourage students to learn about the wonder of God’s creation through a variety of hands-on, fun activities. Outdoor play is also an important part of the camp experience, and kids are encouraged to stay active and engaged during their time at camp.
The registration form is available online or printed copies are by the TRIP window. Registration is now open to the community so let your friends and neighbors know!
SCCS CONNECTION NEWSLETTER
Check out all the smiling faces and stories about what's happening at school in our just-released Connection newsletter!
TRAIL'RAISER TREK 2023 - Saturday, April 15
Save the morning of Saturday, April 15 for our first annual Trail’Raiser Trek!
This is our only fundraising event for the year and will raise funds to help build the gym floor in the Blazer Center! It will be a come and go event running from 9am-noon and includes a 1-mile walk, a freewill brunch, and more. Details are being finalized as you read this! Watch for more information coming to you SOON!
WE ARE HIRING
Sioux Center Christian School invites you to consider the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty and staff, passionate parents, and fantastic students through the following positions with a start date of August 1, 2023. The ideal candidate loves God, loves kids, and loves learning. Interested applicants should complete the faculty application package, located at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/connectwithus/employment.cfm A review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
- Third Grade Teacher (Full-time)
- School Counselor (Full-time)
- Paraprofessionals (3 Full-time positions) - start day August 2023
- Cook Positions - (Full-Time and Part-Time)
- Bus Drivers
SUMMER JOB OPPORTUNITY: We have filled all but one spot on the SCCS Summer Cleaning Crew. We have room for one more hardworking person over 16, to help on the floor crew this summer. The crew will work from June 3 – Aug 11. Monday – Thursday 8 am – 4 pm and Friday 8 am – 2 pm. Job applications are located on the employment page of the SCCS website. We can be flexible with summer sports, mission trips, drivers ed and vacations. Contact Eileen Buiter at 712-578-8624 with questions.
SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please fill out the form at the link below if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
Storyline chapels are held on the first Wednesday of every month at 1:35pm in the gym. Please remind your child to wear their chapel t-shirt. Parents and guests are WELCOME to attend! You may also join our livestream (and recording) at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/livestream.cfm
Storyline Chapel Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaU4iNoUawUq8yQH7NLx7eQFcBk06m529
Outlet 75 sells new clothing, shoes, home décor, kitchenware, bedding and more …and all profits go to Sioux Center Christian School and contribute to the Alternate Revenue discount that was on your tuition statement!
Volunteers make this profit possible, and we continue to encourage parents to fulfill the commitment made to volunteer at least 3-4 shifts per year – please know that working shifts in June-August absolutely count toward your commitment!
Sign up now for the April - June shifts – plus March still has some openings that need to be filled soon! THANKS so much for your help!
MARCH still has openings: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4AAAAD22ABFEC52-march
Open hours: Wednesdays 11am-8pm and Thursdays 11am – 3pm. One Saturday each month.
Location: About 1 mile south of Sioux Center on Hwy 75. Look for the red flag.
If you have any questions about helping at Outlet 75, please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Ashley Keith (email@example.com).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact school 24 hours in advance.
PELLA STAFF MEMBER OF THE MONTH AWARD
Staff Member of the Month: We believe all our faculty and staff are amazing and encourage you to take the time to nominate one (or more) of your children’s teachers!
Complete the nomination form (https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/editoruploads/files/SXC_STAFF_OF_THE_MONTH.pdf; printed copies are available by the TRIP window) and return to our school office or mail to/drop off at Pella Corp. by the 25th of each month during the school year.
Each month a winner is chosen from our local schools and receives a $500 gift card from Sioux Center Pella Corp, which can be used in their classroom to impact learning! Pella kindly keeps nominations “in play” for 3 months to provide multiple opportunities for an outstanding staff member to be recognized. Feel free to re‐nominate someone if you feel they are deserving, and they didn’t win the award during the 3 months that the nomination was in play.
Mrs. Abigail (Clemens) Van Beek won the November award and it would be great if a few more of our teachers were nominated this year!
We are extremely grateful to Pella Corp for this program that serves to encourage and bless our faculty and staff!
https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/currentfamilies/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more!
Currently there is information for:
- Unity Christian Cheer Team Tryout Information for 8th Graders
- Dordt Sports Camp Information
- Sioux Center Recreation Spring Soccer
- Unity Christian Baseball Workout information for 8th grade boys
- Moped Safety Course - March 4
- Sioux Center Public Library Wings of Fire Escape Box
- Sioux Center Public Library Coding Program
- Dordt University Fitness Week
- Inspiration Hills Summer Camp Brochure
- 2023 Drivers Education Options