Moreau Heights Elementary
Moreau Heights is a collaborative community focused on student growth with a commitment to excellence.
This week we will have lessons focus on the Zones of Regulation. This will allow us to focus on self-regulation skills, using the same strategies Kelli has been working on with students. Doug and Kelli will get you a set of materials for use with the lessons!
- Taking time to discuss and use these will help with student identification of level of emotions AND strategies to use to help themselves. Taking time in specials and in grade level classrooms will assist with consistent language and supports across settings.
- Talking with students about a "safe place" in your classroom to use when feeling a strong emotion is needed at this time as well. Remember, the "safe place" is not the safe seat.
Monday's lesson is 2 slides to introduce/review the 4 zones. Other days are each one slide. The lessons/activities will take about 20 minutes each. Thank you for investing in our students with these lessons!
Thank you for continuing to reinforce our basic PBS expectations with positive, specific feedback and Charger Cash OR practice and a chance to fix it.
"You are a giant, yellow highlighter. Highlight behavior you want more of, and help children become aware of the many kind and helpful things they do each day."
Conscious Discipline - Safe Place
The videos this week are focused on Creating a Safe Place
Please share your examples of greetings or videos of students breathing. Would love to share YOUR examples with others!
"Children cannot develop healthy self-regulatory skills unless they see adults consistently addressing their emotions in healthy ways."
Character Trait for October is Responsibility
Duties for the Week
Calendar of Events
Monday, October 16
*Graves RED mtg 11:00
*Lunch with the Principal (McDonald's winners) 11:00
*Parent mtg MG 1:15
*Flu shots for staff 3:30
*Tier 2 mtg 3:30
Tuesday, October 17
*End of 1st quarter
*Sue consult with Lorie Rost 9 - 11 at BOE
*Kindergarten field trop to Fischer Farms 12 - 2
*IEP for JR 3:45
Wednesday, October 18
*SST with Boeckman
*Early Dismissal - students released at 1:15* (Schedule below)
*PD session focused on instruction
Thursday, October 19
**Awards due to Sue by 3:45**
*FST for family 10:00 (Haugen or James)
*Safety Kids 10:30 in gym
*Parent meeting (Bray, Haugen, Holtmeyer, Jungmeyer, Spear, James) 4:00
Friday, October 20
*PBS Assemblies *(specials schedule below)
- 8:30 for grades 3-5
- 9:40 for grades k-2
*PBS Celebration *(schedule below)
*PTO Carnival 5:30 - 8:00
October 23 - 27 Red Ribbon Week
Monday, October 23
*Earthquake drill talk thru
*Leadership Team mtg 3:30
Tuesday, October 24
*Flu Clinic for student 9:00 - 10:30
*Earthquake drill 10:45
*PBS team mtg 3:30
Wednesday, October 25
*SSTs meeting Day 8:30
*Fire Safety Trailer for K and 1 9:00 - 11:00
*Parent Teacher Conferences 3:30 - 7:30
Thursday, October 26
*ICLE Coach to work with team during Collab time on CIR for engagement
*Parent Teacher Conferences 3:30 - 7:30
Friday, October 27
*Earned Day off!
October 18th Early Dismissal PD
Looking forward to some time to work with everyone on one of our PD Indicators - Student Engagement!
The posting window closes at 7:00 am on Tuesday, October 24. Please do not wait until the 24th. You will have time to look over your grade cards for any errors before conferences if they are posted and printed earlier. It is a lot easier to make changes to the grade cards while the window is still open than when the window is closed!
If you get your grade cards and notice something that looks missing on special class sections, please see Matt, Jennifer, or Karen. They cannot check grade cards once they enter items and so they count on you to look those over for them.
Please keep in mind, beginning on about Thursday, October 19, the office copier needs to be for printing grade cards. Please use the workroom copier between October 19 and 25.
*Grades 1-5 are required to have letter grades EVERY Quarter and standards rankings for core classes.
*Kindergarten is entirely standards based.
2. If you need tools for use at your Safe Place, please come see me. I have some available in my office.
3. Parent-Teacher Conference notes need to be going home soon! We want to shoot for 100% participation in conferences, so need to notify parents with plenty of time.
Kelly's Coaching Corner
It’s time for the October #JCedchat on Twitter!
This month’s #JCedchat will occur at 8:00 pm on Tuesday, October 17 on Twitter. The #JCedchat topic will be: Growing Your PLN (Personal Learning Network). All JCPS employees are encouraged to participate by sharing ideas about how you grow your PLN.
This month’s #JCedchat is co-moderated by Nikki Carel (@thecarel5) and Elizabeth Milhollin (@emilhollin). If you’re unsure how to participate, check out an explanation of how #JCedchat works by clicking here.
Please make sure that your Twitter profile is not set to private, otherwise not everyone will be able to see your tweets to the conversation.
Kagan at Work
Interested in having Kelly come help you get things started? Set up a session!
2. I am noticing some use of Kagan strategies in classrooms to engage students in learning! Its great to see and students enjoy the chance to engage in this way- they have no idea we are actually asking more of them with these strategies!
3. Thank you for our School Culture team to kicking off the Halloween season with our Great Pumpkin Hunt next week. Watch out for our competitive friends! Game on, Chargers!
4. Thank you for our many teachers who have hosted friends needing to see positive examples. I appreciate, as do your colleagues, your willingness to take on an extra friends to support others. Its going to take our WHOLE VILLAGE!