Area Settled and Pull Factors
- escape slavery
- Land and resources
Slaves in America
- The first slaves were in the colony of Jamestown, Virginia, in 1619
- In the 17th and 18th centuries, slaves worked mainly on tobacco, rice, and indigo in the south
- Between 1774 and 1804 all the North states abolished slaves
- 1808 the U.S congress outlawed the African Slave trade
- By 1860 there was nearly 4 million slaves
- Many slave rebellions
- In the North a movement to abolish slavery led by people such as Fredrick Douglass, William Lloyd Garrison, and Harriet Beecher Stowe
- Free blacks and anti-slavery whites helped establish the underground railroad which helped slaves escape to the North using a loose connection of safe houses
- the underground railroad helped anywhere from 40,000 to 100,000 slaves escape
Major Wave of Immigration of Africans to America
- The Atlantic slave trade brought more than 10 million slaves to America
Cultural Highlights/ Interesting Facts
Singing while working
Slaves were declared to be 3/5 of a person
Slave population in the South
Salves were branded
Cultural Influence/ Impact on Texas
- Farming (mainly cotton)
- "South African Food." South African Food. N.p., n.d. Web. 3 Feb. 2016. <http://answersafrica.com/best-south-african-food.html/2>.
- PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016. <http://www.pbs.org/wnet/slavery/experience/education/feature.html>.
- "Slavery in America." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016. <http://www.history.com/topics/black-history/slavery>.
- "Lincoln Mullen." · Mapping the Spread of American Slavery. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016. <http://lincolnmullen.com/blog/the-spread-of-american-slavery/>.
- PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016. <http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part1/1p277.html
- "Slave Rebellion." Slave Rebellion. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016. <http://slaverebellion.org/index.php?page=african-contribution-to-american-culture>.
- "Africa." Africa. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2016. <http://www.africanculturalcenter.org/>.