Welcome to English 9!
with Mrs. Allen
How ya doin'? I'm Vaughn James, and I was a student in Mrs. Allen's 9th grade English class. This class is very different than any English you've take before. The teacher is entertaining, you'll focus on technology a lot, and you'll grow a love for reading. There isn't many projects, but when there is, they aren't hard. Let's go over some things you'll do.
Group Reading Circles
My Personal Opinions
The independent reading was the best section in my opinion. There was plenty of amazing books I've read, and some that were flat out awful. I've gotten to know Mrs. Scott, the librarian, very well through my book talks. Not to mention, I've learned about new genres that I now love.
My least favorite
There wasn't much I hated this year, but something that I really did not enjoy was the social media scare section. I'm not sure if you'll have this, but Mrs. Allen and Mrs. Whiting both talk about the dangers of Social Media. Yes, there are dangers and yes, it is in good heart. But the video we watch is beyond scripted I think.
This class is really easy if you just pay attention. Mrs. Allen will not force you to listen to her, it's your responsibility to keep yourself from getting distracted. It's also good to stay organized. Not only will it get you good grades, it'll give you more points at the end of every 9 weeks when she checks. Not to mention, she'll probably make fun of you if you are messy.
Top 5 ways to succeed in English 9
- Stay on Mrs. Allen's good side. She really doesn't have a bad side but better safe than sorry.
- ALWAYS do your article of the week assignments. I never did them and it really hurt my grade.
- STAY. ORGANIZED. She makes you get the dividers for a reason. Use them wisely.
- Don't skimp on the book talks. They aren't that hard, if you read the book and do the sticky notes you'll do fine.
- Just be yourself. Mrs. Allen likes a good person, and she tries her best to make you a good person I think.