Energy From The Sun
What is Solar Energy?
Solar energy is energy generated from the sun. It can be used to power our homes, apartment complexes, and factories. Solar energy can be converted into electrical energy by using solar cells. Solar cells are devices designed to absorb the light of the sun and convert it directly into electricity.
Renewable or Nonrenewable?
Solar energy is renewable, meaning it will not run out anytime soon.The sun will never run out of energy for us.
What are the Advantages of Solar Energy?
- Energy from the sun is free. Imagine having to pay a fee for walking outside!
- The sun will never run out of energy for us, so it's a good source for us to use.
- In sunny countries, solar energy is very reliable.
- It's handy for low-power uses, or for helping your energy bills.
- Solar energy does not use fossil fuels.
What are the Disadvantages of Solar Energy?
- Solar energy doesn't work at night, on a cloudy day, or when a lot of pollution is in the air.
- Solar panels are very expensive.
- It can be unreliable unless you're in a sunny climate.
- Solar energy has a low efficiency in the shade.
- The tilt and direction of the solar panels must be properly lined to generate the most electricity possible.
- Currently, the Mojave Desert, in California, has the largest solar power plant in the world!
- Albert Einstein won the Nobel Prize for his theories about the photovoltaic effect in 1921.
- Food can be cooked using solar energy.
- Solar energy can be used to power a variety of everyday objects, such as calculators, flashlights, and fans.
- NASA has been working on making solar-powered unmanned aircraft.
- Oxford Dictionaries