Welcome to EDUC 204
Technologies of Instruction
A bit about Dr. Fecich
- Ph.D. in Learning, Design and Technology from Penn State University, 2014
- Research interest: Augmented reality enhanced textbooks for students diagnosed with special needs
- M.Ed. Instructional Systems, 2013
- M.Ed. Special Education, 2011
- Special education teacher (4 years) at a school for students with disabilities in Greensburg, PA
- B.A. Elementary (PA certified K-6) & Special education (PA certified K-12)
- PDE Technology specialist certification
- Certificate of learning in assistive technology applications
- Presented at several state and national level on educational technology, special education, and mobile learning.
- Favorite game
To Danielson Ninja Academy Headquarters (My GCC)
- Welcome page
- Is your computer ready to roll?
- About EDUC 204
- Tips and Tricks
- Super portfolio samples
- About Dr. Fecich
- Dr. Fecich Office hours (will be updated)
What is gamification?
- Incorporation of game mechanics, dynamics, and frameworks (Lee & Hammer, 2011)
- Creating game elements for non-game environments - in our case the classroom.
- This is unlike any other course you have taken.
- It is structured into a game
1. As a model for you - how you can use this type of platform (or some of these features) in your future class,
- Things that I am doing are not just about the now…they are about what you can do as a teacher.
2. To be an informative, and engaging class that has brought together hallmarks of best practice.
Key Elements to Gamification
- Immediate Feedback & Reinforcers
- Progress Tracking & Mastery (XP, Badges, Leader boards, Competition)
- Increasing Difficulty (Leveling System)
- Low Risk of Failure (Lives)
- Student Choice
Key elements to EDUC 204
Meaningful and authentic learning space with virtual cooperating teachers
Student choice and voice
F.A.I.L – First attempt in learning
Class culture of respect, rapport, & fun
Class = Team
Earn that A – not given
A is for excellence
X.P. = Experience points
Hello, it's me. I was wondering if after all these weeks you'd like to meet. To go over everything...
Due for Wednesday
- Go to my GCC
- Open Quest 1: Preparing to defeat the Frame workers with ISTE NETS, Growth mindset, & SAMR...oh my!, Questions, Understanding, & Explore
- Read through the 5 ISTE NETS, respond on Padlet link to the ISTE NETS prompt
- Read an edutopia article about Growth mindset, take the 15 question survey about Growth mindset - document your numbers and come to class ready to discuss.
- Watch the 5-minute video on SAMR model, come to class ready to discuss the SAMR model
- Be ready to discuss in class about how these 3 concepts fit together.
This quest should not take longer than an hour and a half.
By the end of this course, you will be successful. You may not be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound but you will be able to integrate technology in new, meaningful, and creative ways.
- Pick a game from around the room and play with a small group.
- Make a new friend of two
- Think about:
- What do games teach us?
- What can we learn from games?