Lighthouse of Alexandria

by Kirill Dratsevich

Lighthouse of Alexandria

The Lighthouse of Alexandria, sometimes called the Pharos of Alexandria was a tower built by the Ptolemaic Kingdom between 280 and 247 BC and between 120 and 137 m tall. It was one of the tallest man-made structures on Earth for many centuries, and was regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of Ancient World.

Damages

Badly damaged by three earthquakes between 956 and 1323,then it became a ruin. It was the third longest surviving ancient wonder (after the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus and the still existent Great Pyramid of Giza ) until in 1480 the last of its stones were used to build the Cidatel of Qaitbay on the site. In 1994, French archaeologists discovered some remains of the lighthouse on the floor of Alexandria's Eastern Harbour.