Earth's Magnetic Field
By: Calyn Wade
The Earth's Magnetic Field
The Earth's magnetic field is the magnetic field that stretches from the Earth's interior. Solar wind meets the Earth's magnetic field. Solar winds are a stream of charged particles coming from the sun.
How to Use a Magnetic Compass
This is a simple guide of how to use a magnetic compass. Have fun.
- Hold the compass still in your hand and as parallel to the ground as possible.
- Look at the face of the compass and take note of the direction of the red portion of the floating needle is facing. This direction is polar north not to confuse with true north.
- Ignore the directional signs on the outer edge of the compass. They are used for more complex directions.
- Look at the direction north is in. Think of your route according to the arrow. for example, if you wanted to go south turn 180 degrees and recheck your compass.
- You should recheck the compass about every 100 meters to make sure your going in the right direction.