Dickens in New York, 1867
Young Dickens by Daniel Maclise
Most interesting man in the world reads
more about Dickens...
Connection to Present Day
I believe Charles Dickens has influenced society positively. His writing has inspired change in society, physically and emotionally. He has changed our way of celebration to the end and beginning of new years, our idea of entertainment and our positive idea of society.Dickens also influenced medicine and medical care in dozens of ways. He was also involved in the development of homeless shelters for women, the first pediantric hospital in the UK, as well as the creation of orthopedics. He has been the inspiration of some of our great inspirations today.
Five Fun Facts
- Dickens's home had a bookcase that was actually a secret door.
- He had a pet raven named Grip that he stuffed after it died.
- On public reading days, for breakfast, Dickens would have two tablespoons of rum with fresh cream.
- Oxford English dictionary credits Dickens with the first use of whoosh, dustbin, butter-fingers, ect.
- In 2009, a toothpick used by Dickens was sold for $9,000
"A Christmas Carol." - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2016.
"Charles Dickens." - Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2016.
"The Original Meme Generator." Meme Generator. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2016.
Hudson, Alex. "Charles Dickens: Six Things He Gave the Modern World."BBC News. N.p., n.d. Web. 22 May 2016.
Kryger, Meir. "Charles Dickens: Impact on Medicine and Society." Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine : JCSM : Official Publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine. American Academy of Sleep Medicine, n.d. Web. 22 May 2016.
"Five Fascinating Facts about Charles Dickens." Interesting Literature. N.p., 07 Feb. 2014. Web. 22 May 2016.
N.p., n.d. Web.