Welcome to the BHS Express
A newsletter keeping you informed about Batavia High School
October 21, 2022
Andrea Conner, BHS Principal
Hello Bulldog Families.
It was a pleasure to welcome back your students after their four-day fall break and the conclusion of the first quarter. Everyone seemed to jump right into the routine of refocusing for the second quarter of the 2022-2023 school year!
We had several celebrations this week! Some students received a special shout out from Mr. Buis, National Honor Society students attended the Anthony Munoz Youth Leadership Seminar, and we were treated to the most touching artwork in our hallways! In collaboration with Batavia Elementary School (BES) Kindergarten students, Mrs. Gadbury’s high school art students added more detail to the “monster” drawings created by our young BES artists. As I was admiring the talent of our high school artists, I found myself wondering what talent they exhibited when they were five and six year olds! Thank you Mrs. Gadbury and BHS art students for this joyful project you are sharing with all of us!
I wanted to take a quick moment to highlight a little information about the senior portraits that will be taken on Thursday, October 27. Dingo Photography is a partner of Batavia Schools and seniors must have a photo taken with them to be included in the yearbook and in the class composite. You may choose to purchase a package from this sitting if you wish. We are asking that seniors dress nicely for these photos. We will have some extra shirts and ties as well as some nicer blouses on hand for our students. We do not want students photographed in hoodies, t-shirts or other athletic/casual attire. Our seniors at the Oaks Career Centers and Grant Career Center took their senior photos when Dingo was there. Thank you for helping us capture a photo of your student that will be preserved as part of Batavia High School’s history.
In service to our Bulldogs.
Andrea Conner, High School Principal
Matt Buis, BHS Assistant Principal
Hello, BHS Families.
We had a chance to recognize some of our students who were nominated by their teachers for demonstrating Respectful, Responsible, and Safe choices at school. They received their choice of gift cards and a special note from the teachers who nominated them. Congrats to Mylee, Sutton, Kaleb, Aerianna, Richard, Riley, James, and Abigail. We appreciate your positive example.
Matt Buis, High School Assistant Principal
Student Shout Out
National Honor Society (NHS) Students Attended The Anthony Munoz Youth Leadership Seminar
Students in the National Honor Society attended the Anthony Munoz Youth Leadership Seminar on Wednesday, October 19, 2022. The theme of the seminar was “unwritten”, and students had the opportunity to explore their own stories through listening to engaging speakers who challenged the students to create their own stories as they continue to grow as leaders. A special thank you goes to Ms. McElveen, the NHS Advisor, for supporting the students during this special event.
PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING
- Reminder: Students must be enrolled in and passing five courses to maintain eligibility for participation in extracurriculars.
- Make sure you click on the link below to register for parent teacher conferences.
- If your student needs support to be successful in classes, please contact the teacher for help. As a reminder, students in high school must earn “credits” by passing classes. These “credits” are required for high school graduation.
- 2022 Yearbooks Distribution Information:
- Beginning October 28, current students can pick up their yearbooks during 5th bell study hall or immediately after school (2:20-2:30).
- October 26: Conference day/optional pickup for in attendance
- October 28: First Pickup @ Batavia High School - Room 111 during 5D (12:12-12:42)
- November 11: Second Pickup @ High School - Room 111 during 5D (12:12-12:42)
- After/during November: Ship out the rest of the yearbooks
- Substitutes will be allowed to pick up books for others provided they have written confirmation (an email from the graduate or an email to Mr. Mills from the graduate) or verbal confirmation (graduate indicates approval over the phone during pickup)
UPCOMING IMPORTANT UPDATES
- October 17, 2022: No School-Fall Break
October 24-28, 2022: Hope Week Activities
October 26, 2022: Parent/Teacher conferences 3:00 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. Please click on the following link to schedule your Parent/Teacher conferences for October 26, 2022. (https://www.ptcfast.com/schools/Batavia_High_School)
October 26, 2022: Powder Puff Game at Holman Stadium at 6:00 p.m. The cost is $5 for adults and $2 for students/children/senior citizens. The concession stand will also be open.
October 27, 2022: Grade 12 Senior Portrait Day for students attending Batavia High School. Students must dress nicely. No hoodies, T-shirts, etc.
October 28, 2022: Student/staff Costume Day. Students may dress up in school-appropriate costumes.
October 29, 2022: Bulldog Arts & Crafts Festival 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at Batavia Elementary School.
November 1, 2022: NHS Blood Drive during the school day
November 5, 2022: Batavia Rotary Spaghetti Dinner - 4:30-7:30 at Batavia Elementary School
November 5, 2022: Donkey Basketball at Batavia High School
November 8, 2022: Election Day. No School for Students
November 18, 2022: Senior Portrait Makeup Day
November 22, 2022: Last day before Thanksgiving break
INFORMATION FROM THE BHS GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT
Check out the Batavia High School Guidance Counselor website.
Your Guidance Counselors are:
9th - 12th Grade Counselor A-L
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7037
(513) 732-2341 ext: 7036
- Social Media- How does it affect our teens and their self esteem?
- This article is a great resource and conversation starter!
- Social Media and Self Doubt
- Financial Aid Information Night At Batavia High School- Wednesday, Oct 26, 2022
- Students and Parents!
- Need Money for College? Mark your calendar and plan to attend the Financial Aid, College & Scholarship Information Night in the Batavia High School Library, Wednesday October 26th from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m.
A representative from Wilmington College will present information about the application, scholarship, and financial aid process. In addition, they will give directions for completing the 2023 FAFSA (FREE Application for Federal Student Aid) and what changes to expect, plus eligibility for Grants, Scholarships, Loans, and related information (*this is NOT specific to Wilmington College).
ANY SENIOR GOING TO COLLEGE SHOULD NOT MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY FOR VALUABLE INFO!
Your questions are welcome and will be answered
- Clermont County College Fair @ Eastgate Mall Thursday Oct 27, 2022 6-8pm
- 80+ College Representatives from all over will be attending this event. Stop in and meet Admissions Representatives; see what different colleges have to offer!
- All HS students are welcome to attend! It’s never too early to start thinking about College!
- Great Oaks Coffee Chat
- Want to learn more about Great Oaks and career and technical education?
- Parents and students are invited to participate in Great Oaks coffee chats.
Here is the link for detailed information: College Career and Coffee Chat Flyer Fall 2022.pdf
BATAVIA HIGH SCHOOL OFFICE CONTACTS
513-732-2341, ext. 7051
Matt Buis, Assistant Principal
513-732-2341, ext. 7052
Melissa Anstaett, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7055
Edie Strine, Administrative Assistant
513-732-2341, ext. 7054
If your student is absent, call
513-732-2341 and leave a message on the attendance line