SLP Superintendent's Newsletter
Week of January 21, 2019
SUPERINTENDENT PATRICK JENKINS
Upcoming District Educator Academy Training Opportunities
Target Audience - K-12 & Administrators
Subject Area: All Subjects
Location: Computer Lab
*Stipend will be given
Thursday, January 24, 2019
Quote for the Week
We are now faced with the fact that tomorrow is today. We are confronted with the fierce urgency of now. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Principal Fellowship Webpage launches on Louisiana Believes Website
The new webpage can be found under Teaching + Learning. This is the direct link: http://www.louisianabelieves.com/academics/louisiana-principal-fellowship-program
Cohort 4 sign-in sheets and agendas are posted and can be found in the Principal Fellowship Library throughout the year under the Current Principal Fellows section.
Don’t miss the newsletters posted: the fall newsletter is linked here Download Also, there should be a new newsletter posted this week!
Reminder: New Department Event Registration Platform
● iPhone instructions
● Android instructions
2019 Teacher Leader Summit
January - March Early Bird Registration ($35 per day, $80 for three days)
April - June 14 Regular Registration ($45 per day, $100 for three days)
Late April Session List and Mobile App Available June 26 - 28
On-site Registration ($60 per day)
Please note: All registration fee must be paid by credit card at the time of registration. Seats will not be held for pending payments.
New: New Department Event Registration Platform
Things to review in beginning our 2nd Semester
- Grades (Report Card)
- Review the Pupil Progression Plan (PPP) with all staff before the semester ends
- Ensure that teachers have enough grades to justify the grade students will get for the nine-week period and semester.
- Please ensure that each teacher's grades are correct and that you have comments for any “D” or “F” grades JPAMS
- No incomplete grades on the final report card
- Please schedule conferences as soon as possible to address any concerns especially Ds or Fs and semester failures. Please ensure that you are discussing Promotion In Jeopardy (PIJ) with parents and documenting all interventions.
- Discuss with your school cluster dates that report card will be mailed or sent home
- High School Only - Ensure that all students that have failed for the semester have been identified and scheduled for credit recovery in January. Send Mrs. Cassimere all documentation for enrollment for their online courses.
Updated Documents - Be ready to share these with me and/or Mrs. Angela Cassimere.
- At the end of the semester be prepared to discuss and present the following to me and/or Mrs. Cassimere:
- Action Plan for the spring of 2018
- Attendance Data for students and Teacher
- See Mr. Robinson or Tricia Thomassee for assistance
- Discipline Data (see Mr. Robinson for assistance)
- # of ISS
- # of OSS
- The primary type of referrals
- Academic Data
- High Schools
- Graduation Rates, Strength of Diploma, etc.
- Growth to Mastery Data
- # of Students on track to graduate at the end of 9th grade
- Be prepared to discuss a specific plan of action for LEAP 2025 areas of concern
- Subgroup data
- Accountability Tracker Data updates for 2018-19 (see Mrs. Cassimere for an updated copy, if you don't have it)
- Data for incoming 10, 11, 12-grade students
- I will need all freshmen input into the tracker
- Elementary schools (pk-8)
- DCAI data
- # of classes with Carnegie units awarded
- Students on track (age, academic, etc.) to complete 8th grade and 9th grade
- # of overage students (2 or more retentions)
- # of students at Mastery or above on LEAP 2025
- Growth to Mastery data
- Classroom at a glance
- Be prepared to discuss
- See attached
- High Schools
- # of students receiving SPED accommodations
- # of 504 students
- Sub Group data
- Physical Plant assessment plan of improvement for the summer
- Clean, fix or replace water fountains inside your buildings
- All floors should free on debris and clean daily
- Floors stripped and Highly polished
- Grounds clean and manicures
- Technology Plan
- Identify technology concerns
- Identify # of devices on your campus
- Update frequently
- identity Items to add or delete from the site
- School Finder information review and update
- Have your staff Review Safe Schools for any incomplete or updated training modules.
- if you have any support staff members that need additional training, Safe Schools can provide extra training in the forms of those listed below, to name a few.
- Nutrition Services
- Special Education
Please contact Mrs. Gloria Malbrough if you need assistance.
DIRECTOR OF CURRICULUM - ANGELA CASSIMERE
Reminder: January/February Supervisor and Principal Collaborations
● January 28: Baton Rouge, Hilton Baton Rouge Capitol Center (New Location)
● January 31: Harvey, Jefferson Parish School Board Office
● February 5: Ruston, Trinity Methodist Church
● February 7: Lake Charles, Calcasieu Parish Assessment Office
New: 2019 Department Counselor Collaborations
● February 19 at Monroe City School Board
● February 20 at Bossier Instructional Center
● February 21 at Avoyelles Parish Media Center
● February 25 at Acadia Parish Educational Center
● February 26 at St. Charles Professional Learning Center
● February 27 at University View Academy
New: College Level Examination Exams (CLEP) Webinar Series
Reminder: SCA Course Choice Spring 2018 Registration
● career and technical preparation supporting the Jump Start program;
● academic work required to achieve TOPS;
● advanced coursework not available at the school due to limited resources;
● dual enrollment courses from colleges and universities; and
● intensive remediation for students struggling to stay on pace for graduation.
New: PSAT Scores Now Available
New: State-Approved Mentor Teacher and Content Leader Trainings
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/618191832
● Webinar Phone Number: 646-876-9923 (for dial-in only)
● Meeting ID#: 618191832
Reminder: Federal Policy on Military Recruiting in Schools
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - TRESSA MILLER
1. Fixed Assets- revisit the process in the FAS manual for stolen items (Pages 4-6) and complete/submit the necessary forms in a timely manner.
2. Monthly Bookkeeping Reports – should be reviewed by principals monthly, approved and submitted to Angie Marks.
a. We have begun working on vendor 1099s.
b. Please have your bookkeeper review your vendor information.
c. Vendors needing to receive a 1099 should be marked for a 1099 in EPES.
d. All vendor social security numbers should have dashes in them, xxx-xx-xxxx.
e. Please make sure all vendor tax id numbers and addresses are correct in EPES as this is what is pulled to create the 1099s.
f. Also, make sure all payments to vendors have been recorded in EPES as this is pulled to create the 1099s as well.
4. EPES access- Principals and bookkeepers have separate logins to EPES. Please email Angie Marks for help logging into your Principal account if you have not already done so.
5. W-2s will be available on the employee portal on 1/31/19, same as last year.
6. 1095s will be available on the employee portal on 3/4/19, same as last year.
DIRECTOR OF TITLE 1 - SCOTT CHAMPAGNE
New: Title I School Planning Webinar
● Webinar Date and Time: January 14 (and every Monday at 11:00 a.m.)
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/594569803
● Webinar Phone Number: 669-900-6833
● Meeting ID#: 594569803
For schools interested in reviewing webinar materials presented during previous Super App learning experiences, the following materials are available:
● Coordinated Early Intervention Services presentation from the December 17 office hours
● Nonpublic Equitable Share presentation from the December 10 office hours
● 2019-2020 Equitable Services timeline sent to nonpublic schools
● Allowability of Federal Funds presentation from the December 3 office hours
● Collaboration event resources are located in the School System Support Library
SUPERVISOR OF STEAM - THERESE ELLENDER, Ed.D.
Reminder: Jump Start Survey
Communities that Care Youth Survey (CCYS)
You may have already received materials for your school containing 2018 surveys from the Communities that Care Youth Survey (CCYS). If not, Mr. Boudreaux will dropping them off to you before we break for the holiday. We would like for you to get this information to your English departments ASAP so that they may plan their lesson accordingly.
We are planning to place a notification on the parish website to notify our parents and the community. We hope that each of the schools will include a link on their sites. The week before the survey, we will send out a J-call to all parents.
Find attached a letter for our teachers who will administer the survey, along with a parent notification form. You may also copy and send this form home to parents, but it is not necessary. PLEASE GIVE EACH OF YOUR TEACHERS A COPY OF THE TEACHER LETTER BEFORE THE BREAK SO THAT THEY MAY PREPARE FOR THE LESSON.
It is imperative that we complete and mail the CCYS by FRIDAY, JANUARY 18TH. Project coordinators for each school should be guidance counselors or English department heads and can contact Mr. Brent Boudreaux (337-344-3400) if they have any questions. Surveyors will realize the following:
1. The surveys are for 6th, 8th, 10th, and 12th graders
2. They are anonymous
3. Passive consent notifications (no signature required) will be posted on our website, and should be linked on yours as well.
4. All surveys must be collected (even blanks)
5. Teachers will be notified if a student wishes to opt out, and an alternative lesson must be given.
6. Time is of the essence, so we ask that you complete the surveys January 8 - 10, or 15 - 17
7. Mr. Boudreaux will drop off, and pick up the materials.
Follow the link for more information:
We apologize for the delay, but please understand this survey is of the utmost importance for our children and our schools. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Reminder: Join the 2019 Individual Graduation Plan Webinar
● Webinar Dates and Times: January 23 at 3:30 p.m. and January 24 at 9:00 a.m.
● Webinar Link: https://ldoe.zoom.us/j/150940171
● Webinar Phone Number: 646-876-9923
● Meeting ID#: 150940171
Note: This is a repeat of the September 2018 webinar.
Reminder: AP Summer Institute Scholarships
SUPERVISOR OF PERSONNEL - MATTHEW SCRUGGINS
Online Adapted Physical Education Add-on: summer 2019 cohort
Requirements for Certification: (https://www.teachlouisiana.net/Teachers.aspx?PageID=12311128)
1. A Valid Type A, B, C Level 1, 2 or 3 Louisiana certificate in Physical Education (the candidate is responsible for assuring that all requirements (courses and certifications) for Add-on Adapted Physical Education are met and should apply as directed in the link above).
2. Courses offering area as follows: (Lesson Implementation Required at home or nearby school*).
a. Introduction to Physical Education with Handicapped Individuals (Nicholls course HPED 393. Introducing Physical Education for All Children with Disabilities offered summer 2019, WWW format full term).
b. Behavior and Educations Impairment and PE (Nicholls course *HPED 494. Behavior Impairment and Physical Education offered fall 2019, WWW format full term).
c. Chronic Disability and PE (Nicholls course *HPED 495. Chronic Disability and Physical Education, offered spring 2020, WWW format full term).
d. Physical Educator Curriculum for Handicapped Children (Nicholls course HPED 496. The Physical Education Curriculum for All Children with Disabilities, offered summer 2020, WWW format full term).
Steps to enrolling in these courses at Nicholls State:
- Go to www.nicholls.edu/admission/apply to complete the application for summer 2019. Please complete your personal information and then choose the appropriate application type and major:
- Graduate School: PSYC/EDUC then Non-Degree Seeking
Undergraduate School: Visitor Status or presently enrolled in HPED see your advisor
SUPERVISOR OF CHILD WELFARE AND ATTENDANCE JEROME ROBINSON
New: Webinar on Creating and Maintaining School Wellness Committees
● January 16 at 12:00 p.m.
● January 16 at 3:30 p.m.
● January 24 at 7:30 a.m.
Reminder: School Health Survey
Starting on Tuesday, October 16, 2018, you will be required to submit a copy of the correspondence/letter that you are using to notify parents when students are in jeopardy of receiving an LA-15 for excessive unexcused absences. The correspondence/letter must be submitted along with the LA-15 form to the Census Department. NOTE: LA-15’s are generated on J-Campus after a student misses five(5) unexcused absences.
SUPERVISOR OF SECONDARY ED - SPENCER ARNAUD
New: 2019 Louisiana Regional Science Bowl Registration
● There is no registration fee for the event, but teams will be selected on a first come, first served basis.
● The top four teams will receive cash prizes.
● First place winners will be invited on an all-expenses paid trip to compete for the national title in Washington D.C.
Please view the Science Bowl Guide on the USDOE’s website for more information.
SUPERVISOR OF INSTRUCTION, SCHOOL CHOICE, & SCHOOL IMPROVEMENT- TRINA PRESTON
Reminder: Parent Guides to 2018-2019 Assessments Now Available
● Parent Guide to the LEAP 2025 Tests (3-12)
● Parent Guide to the ELPT
● Parent Guide to the LEAP Connect
● Parent Guide to LEAP 360
Translated versions in Spanish, Arabic, and Vietnamese are also available for all guides
Social Studies Practice Test
INSTRUCTIONAL TECHNOLOGY FACILITATOR/WEBMASTER TRICIA FONTENOT
Editable Compass Observation Form
PERSONNEL FACILITATOR - GLORIA MALBROUGH
Safe School training has been open for those employees who have not completed the Mandatory Training. The site is opened from December 11, 2018- January 31, 2019.
Thank you! Happy Holidays!