CHS Coach's Corner
September 11, 2015
"What is most important is that teaching is visible to the student and that the learning is visible to the teacher."
The new school year is finally in full swing. That can only mean one thing... It's time to start thinking about Deliberate Practice Plans (DPP). Over the course of the next few weeks, you will be given guidance on the development of your plan. Meanwhile, it's important you begin to think about the element you will choose for growth. Here are some tips for choosing your element.
- It must be an element that is self-rated as "not using", "beginning", or "developing". The idea is to show growth.
- You cannot use an element from a previous DPP.
- Choose a Super 7 element. Research shows these 7 elements have a higher rate of return on student achievement.
- As a PLC, choose the SAME element. Collaboration is key for successful completion.
- If you have completed an element in DQ2 in years past, consider choosing a DQ3 element this year. We highly recommend element 18: helping student examine reasoning.
**A word about choosing an element from design question 4: DQ4 is VERY complex. To be effective, you cannot isolate one element to study. Elements 21, 22, and 23 must be implemented simultaneously. It requires the teacher to have a strong understanding of cognitively complex tasks. To support full implementation of element #22, teachers must help students examine reasoning and revise knowledge. Teachers must have prior experience using groups effectively. Finally, the teachers must be comfortable being a facilitator of learning as opposed to the provider of learning.**
This year, we will provide two avenues of support for developing your plan.
- For teachers with DPP experience, an Office Mix presentation will be sent out this week allowing you to create your DPP on your own time at your own pace.
- For teachers who need support to develop a DPP, we will offer an open lab with coaching support available on Wednesday, September 16th in Room 4-255 (Main) or the Conference Room (Freshman). (Remember last year? You came during your planning period and walked out with a completed plan. It was quick and painless!)
**Plans should be completed prior to October 7th.**
Deliberate Practice Open Lab
Wednesday, Sep. 16th, 7:30am
Main Campus 4-255/ Freshman Campus Conference Room
Internet High Five
Mrs. Marinas' students (AICE General Paper) used Padlet to share what they already know about Cuba prior to engaging in a research and writing assignment. (element #8)
Mrs. Espinet's students (English 2) used Bitstrip to create comic representations of their SAT/ACT words. (element #12)
Geometry Honors Team
The entire Geometry Honors team, led by PLC leader Ms. Dohm, used Google Slides to have students collaborate to find real world examples of geometry represented around our campus. (element #12)