March 6, 2020
- Sanitizer wipes have been ordered and we expect them to be delivered next week.
- High traffic areas are being cleaned with an electrostatic disinfectant spray: keep all desks clear and chairs on the floor to ensure easy and thorough application by our custodians (papers inadvertently sprayed may be discolored).
- Field trips and conference travel are being evaluated on a case-by-case basis; we anticipate cancellations. All impacted staff and students will be notified when a cancelation occurs.
- All staff are encouraged to reassess any personal travel plans. Refer to the CDC Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel.
Fielding Parent Questions at the Building Level
If a parent/guardian contacts you with:
- Health concerns about their child, direct them to your school nurse
- Information about a suspected or confirmed Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) case in our school community, direct them to District Office (ext. 1000)
- General questions covered in this document (see below), respond to their questions directly.
- Questions not addressed in this document, refer them to District Office (ext. 1000)
Respond directly to any of the questions below about Coronavirus (2019-nCoV):
What is the school doing about Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)?
The district has been in contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Ontario County Health Department for regular updates around the Coronavirus. We have strict procedures in place for preventing and responding to any outbreak of infectious disease. We are also:
• Providing alcohol-based hand sanitizers in key locations and sanitizer wipes to all classrooms,
• Regularly cleaning and disinfecting high traffic areas,
• Ensuring our school nurses have the most up-to-date information,
• Sending home students whom our nurses believe to be unwell
• Working collaboratively with our school physicians
What can I do about Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)?
Have discussions with your children around illness prevention, including:
• Washing hands with soap and water regularly for at least 20 seconds,
• Keeping a distance from anyone who appears sick,
• Staying home if you feel sick,
• Using your elbow or a tissue to cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, and
• Ensuring proper nutrition and rest.
Will school be closed?
Any decision to close school will be made by the Ontario County Health Department or New York State. You will be notified immediately if such a decision is made.
Will large school events be canceled (including sporting events)?
The district is assessing all large school events on a case-by-case basis. We will cancel or limit public attendance at school events should the need arise.
Will my child’s field trip be canceled?
The district may be canceling school field trips on a case-by-case basis. You will be notified directly if a decision is made to cancel a filed trip impacting your child.
Are students/staff with suspected or confirmed exposure to Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) allowed to attend school?
Any student or staff member who has suspected or confirmed exposure, particularly through travel to an affected area, will be referred to the Ontario County Health Department, who will determine any necessary quarantine measures. (If they or their child has traveled to an affected area, transfer the caller to District Office: ext. 1000 or redirect the message to email@example.com).