News of the Week
Here are a few reminders for next week:
- In Friday Folders is a green bag containing a piece of your child's artwork and a chance to order magnets, coffee mugs, note cards, etc with the print. This is a fundraiser for our school as well as a great time to get gifts! I always order magnets with my kids' artwork on them as a gift for grandparents and for our fridge at home!
- For our Respect the Mill Day today, we had the Hands Are Not For Hitting puppet show come to our school. We watched the important lesson about using our hands and our words to help instead of hurt. Later, we did an activity where we traced our hand and drew something good that hands are for on it. An activity book is coming home in Friday Folders; the kids started them in class, but can finish them at home if they wish.
- Just so you can plan ahead, there is a United Way Dress-Up Day on Monday, October 31st. Kids are welcome to wear a costume or dress like a book character. Please no masks or accessories (swords, wands, etc). The cost is a $2 donation to United Way which you can put in their folder. Thanks for your support!
- Don't forget to fill out and send in the reading log in the yellow PIR folder each Tuesday. The kids love meeting with our PIR parent and making progress on our chart!
- Please try to send a water bottle each day, it really helps cut down on visits to the hallway water fountain during the day.
- The FMES Fall Festival is Friday, November 4th at the Buford Corn Maze. Get your tickets now for a really fun family night!
- Have you checked out all the awesome LINKS that I have added to the bottom newsletter lately? There are tons of activities, songs, Brain Pop videos and more to reinforce what we've been working on in class! These are great for "homework" or fun at-home practice!
- I hope you have been enjoying reading the books in your child's bag book! If you forgot to return them on Friday, please send them back on Monday so we can send home new books next week.
- I so appreciate your help with keeping our classroom books safe!!
Weight, Force, and Gravity!
In math, we circulated through six mystery bag stations exploring which bag was heavier and which was lighter. We recorded our results, and at the very end, we got to see what was in each bag!
In science we explored force with pushes. We each got a car to push and cubes to measure how far it went. We counted the number of cubes our car traveled! Later in the week, we explored gravity with ramps. We built a ramp with our group and sent different kinds of objects down. We were exploring which objects moved with gravity and which needed a push to get started. We also explored how making our ramp higher and lower changed the speed.
...Skills We Will Work On Next Week...
Reading & Writing
Science & Social Studies
Reading & Writing
- Reviewing and strengthening all of our super reader powers!
- Sight Words: was said
- Using writing partners to strengthen writing
- Count to 100 by 1's and 10's
- Count forward one more from a given number
- Write numbers 0-20
- Using 10-Frames
Links to Try
- Illuminations Five Frames: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3564
- Illuminations Ten Frames: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3565
- Illuminations Concentration: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3563
- Illuminations: Okta’s Rescue: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3528
- Digital Number Frames for Web & Devices: http://catalog.mathlearningcenter.org/apps/number-frames
- Digital Rekenrek for Web & Devices: http://catalog.mathlearningcenter.org/apps/number-rack
- ABCya Birthday Candle Count: http://www.abcya.com/kindergarten_counting.htm
- ABCya Counting Fish: http://www.abcya.com/counting_fish.htm
- Curious George Count Your Chickens: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/games/count_your_chickens/count_your_chickens.html
- Curious George Count with Allie: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/allie/
- Curious George Hide & Seek: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/hideseek/
- Curious George Hat Grab: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/hats/
- Curious George Bubble Pop: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/bubbles/
- Curious George Bunny Ride: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/drive/
- Curious George Flower Garden: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/flowers/
- Curious George Blast Off: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/rocket/
- Curious George Museum of Tens: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/ten/
- Curious George High Fives: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/busyday/fives/
- Animal Ocean Find & Count: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/preschool/animals/ocean/animaloceanfindcountgame.htm
- Ladybug Spots: http://www.topmarks.co.uk/learning-to-count/ladybird-spots
- Circus Measurement: http://www.education.com/game/circus-measurement/
- Clifford Measuring Up: http://pbskids.org/clifford/games/measuring_up.html
- Turtle Diary Heavy or Light?: http://www.turtlediary.com/game/heavy-and-light.html
- Curious George How Tall?: http://pbskids.org/curiousgeorge/games/how_tall/how_tall.html
- Sid the Science Kid Non-Standard Units: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5751829b94e1a
- Brain Pop Inches & Feet: https://jr.brainpop.com/math/measurement/inchesandfeet/
- Brain Pop Kilograms & Grams: https://jr.brainpop.com/math/measurement/gramsandkilograms/
- Poddle Weigh In: http://pbskids.org/cyberchase/math-games/poddle-weigh-in/
- Sid the Science Kid Fab Lab: http://pbskids.org/sid/fablab_crystalsrule.html
- Dinosaur Train How Big Are You?: http://pbskids.org/dinosaurtrain/games/howbigareyou.html
- IXL More or Less: https://www.ixl.com/math/kindergarten/holds-more-or-less
- Clifford: Flo & Zo Sort It Out: http://www.scholastic.com/clifford/play/sortitout/sortitout.htm
- Cat in the Hat Swirly Whirly Pearl Hunt: http://pbskids.org/catinthehat/games/swph.html
Force & Motion
- Brain Pop Pushes and Pulls: https://jr.brainpop.com/science/forces/pushesandpulls/
- Donald Duck Put-Put Troubles: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5767edddad4f1
- Disney Fairies How to Build a Snowman: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5767ee4cd02cc
- Tic Tac Go Game: http://www.learningliftoff.com/kindergarten-science-learning-game-push-pull/#.V2qJuvkrK70
- Magic School Bus Plays Ball: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss576a8a4e33c6e
- The Motion Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss576a8c325fedb
- Harcourt School How Things Move: http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/moving_things/index.html
- Sammy’s Shapes: http://www.primarygames.com/storybooks/sammy/start.htm
- Illuminations Shape Tool: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3587
- Illuminations Patch Tool: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=3577
- Illuminations Tangram Puzzles: http://illuminations.nctm.org/Activity.aspx?id=6626
- Cat in the Hat Great Shape Race: http://pbskids.org/catinthehat/games/great-shape-race.html
- Sid the Science Kid Shadow Show: http://pbskids.org/sid/shadowshow.html
- ABCYa Tangrams: http://www.abcya.com/tangrams.htm
- Purpy’s Shapes: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/preschool/ngames/shapes.htm
- Shape Shoot: http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/mathgames/earlymath/shapes_shoot.htm
- IXL Shape Patterns: https://www.ixl.com/math/kindergarten/shape-patterns
- PBS Pattern Matcher: http://www.pbs.org/parents/education/math/games/preschool-kindergarten/pattern-matcher/
Maps & Columbus Day
- Cardinal Directions Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57671454565d6
- Vids4Kids Learn About Maps: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss576561e5edc9b
- Brain Pop Reading Maps: https://jr.brainpop.com/socialstudies/geography/readingmaps/
- Sesame Street Map Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5766ae278455f
- Arthur- Go, George, Go: http://pbskids.org/arthur/games/gogeorgego/gogeorgego.html
- Cat in the Hat Mapping Tool: http://pbskids.org/catinthehat/games/mappingtool.html
- Columbus Brain Pop: https://jr.brainpop.com/socialstudies/holidays/columbusday/
- Columbus Day song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5766b0bd96e28
- Learning About Columbus Day: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5766b1ea959ee
- “To” Heidi Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57990f6aebb8a
- “Can” Mr. Clown Video: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57990ff464ce3
- “Like” Heidi Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57991046d9acc
- “Me” Heidi Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57991096d629d
- “We” Miss Molly Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoo0GNoHUic
- “Go” Heidi Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/cp7i9Yv1TRs
- “My” Mr. Clown Video: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579911295ec8b
- “See” Miss Molly Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57991299f101f
- “Here” Video: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579913071767c
- “Little” Miss Molly Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5799135355c6f
- “Play” Heidi Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss57991398036e1
- “On” Miss Molly Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579913c46bee9
- “Was” Miss Molly Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579913fa435bb
- “Said” Mr. Clown Video: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5799142c6f7bc
- “Some” Mr. Clown Video: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579914732875d
- “He” Mr. Clown Video: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579914a2e0c4d
- “She” Heidi Song: http://safeshare.tv/v/ss579914d72743a
How-to Access Our eClass Page
2) Type in your child's student number (200....)
3) Their password is their initials, the month of their birthday, and the day of their birthday (i.e. mine would be lw1224)
** If content on our page is not loading, but sure to look in your address bar for the security shield and click 'load unsafe scripts' or whatever your wording may be! **