The J-Hawk Experience!
Info you need to know for week of March 25 - March 29!
Message from the principal
As we return back from Spring Break, one of the first things that UHS students and staff will notice (besides the absence of mountains of snow) is the sights and sounds of construction of our new fitness center, scheduled to open by the start of the 2020-21 school year. Once completed, this state of the art facility will benefit all of our students and student-athletes in their physical development.
Below are some of the changes to be aware of during this construction time:
- Construction fencing is now up around the west side of the gym and trophy hallway.
- Construction and demolition equipment will be appearing around our property near our gyms, including a construction trailer in the southeast corner of our parking lot.
- The main west entrance to the gym lobby is no longer accessible as an entrance or exit.
- Anyone wanting to enter the gym area from the main west parking lot needs to use the PAC (Performing Arts Center) entrance.
- The trophy hallway and gym lobby are currently open during this phase of construction.
- North gym may be closed as they work on demolishing the north gym balcony bleachers.
During this time, it is important to stay clear of any of these construction related areas.
Though we will experience some inconveniences while we are under construction over the next year, the eventual payoff will be terrific. Highlights from our construction website are shared below:
- "The new space will feature an approximate 3,800 sq ft multi-purpose fitness area with flooring to support a host of activities such as yoga, cheer practice, and dance practice. Also featured will be an approximate 9,300 sq ft weight/fitness area that will accommodate free weight training, and speed and agility enhancement with a single lane of track and of turf. Approximately 4,900 sq ft will include circulation areas, lobby, new concessions, and new restrooms that support activities in the two existing gymnasiums. The Fitness Center will support general wellness of all UHS students as the spaces will be incorporated into the daily academic Physical Education (P.E.) program. Spaces will also support Urbandale Community Education Classes.
- Once construction begins, we will focus on outfitting the facility with state-of-the art equipment to meet the needs of our students."
I have included pictures of both the current construction sight as well as our architect's designs for the finished fitness center. Exciting times!
Construction site of the new UHS Fitness Center with fencing
Current west gym entrance with construction fencing around it.
Architect's picture of the inside of the new UHS Fitness Center.
UHS attendance - 94%
This is a reminder that if a student has an unexcused absence for any period, our automated system will be sending out a call as well as an email as means to notifying you of the absence. If you feel it is in error, please contact Mrs. Chavez in our attendance office at 457-6805.
Student Announcements and Day 1/ Day 2 for the week
This week Monday, March 25, is a Day 2. Tuesday, March 26, is a Day 1. Block days are a Day 2. Friday is a Day 1.
UHS Seniors reminded to turn in their senior picture to yearbook by Thursday, March 14.
either email photos and advertisements to Mrs. Oda-Lawler or drop it by her room,
205, in the English Pod. Anything received after March 14th will have a late fee attached to it. If you have any questions and/or concerns, please see Mrs. Oda-Lawler.
They can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Also, seniors on Wednesday, March 13, Herff Jones will be here distributing graduation
announcements and other items purchased. Be sure to stop by and see them. If you
haven't ordered your cap & gown you should also make sure you visit their table in the
commons. If you aren’t sure you ordered anything, stop by to check!
UHS Strength and Conditioning offering information session
UHS Silver Cord planning Meals from the Heartland packaging event!
All UHS students and staff are invited to join us at an all-school service event in the UHS Commons on April 24. We will be packaging 30,000 meals to feed hungry people in Iowa and all over the world with Meals From the Heartland! Shifts are available from 1:30-6:00 pm, and no training is necessary. Just sign up at the link below, and come help!
Senior graduation and senior pictures
UHS graduation for the Class of 2019 will be on Wednesday, May 29th, at 7:00pm at the Drake University Knapp Center.
UHS senior pictures to be included in the yearbook are due to Mrs. Oda-Lawler by March 14th. Link to more information about senior pictures in the yearbook.
Link to the senior Baby Advertisement for the yearbook
Post Prom - parent sign up info
I'm sending this out on behalf of our volunteer parents who are organizing Post Prom again this year.
"Calling all UHS Parents:
Please join our 2019 Post Prom Committee with planning and hosting a safe, fun-filled night for UHS Juniors, Seniors and their dates! This year's Post Prom will be held on Saturday, May 11th. We are looking for several Committee Chairs to shadow/assist our current Chairpersons for the 2019 Post Prom and then to take over for the 2020 Post Prom. We are also looking for many Committee members to assist our current Committee Chairs. See link below:
Urbandale Post Prom is a Nonprofit organization solely ran by parent volunteers and funded by parent donations, fundraising, and registration fees. Also, with the cooperation and support of UHS, which provides us a free, safe, and chaperoned place to host this event."
School driving permits
UHS Student Clubs & Organizations...get involved!
UHS Speech Team has two selected for All-State Individual State Speech Festival!
The UHS Speech Team had a terrific day at the State IE competition on Saturday, March 9th, with UHS students participating in 16 events. Of those 16, we had 12 events earn a Division 1 rating at state! Two individuals were selected to represent Urbandale High School at the Individual All-State Festival on March 25, 2019.
Great job, J-Hawks!
All-State Festival Selections
Madison Pulica-Solo Musical Theatre "Screw Loose"
Varun Vepa-Spontaneous Speaking
UHS Seniors win C-SPAN documentary contest!
C-SPAN announced on Thursday, March 14th, that Jacob Sammon, Matthew Moran and Riley Vander Hart, seniors at Urbandale High School, are first prize winners in C-SPAN’s national 2019 StudentCam competition. They will receive $3,000 for the documentary, “Fighting for a Better Tomorrow,” about the First Amendment. The documentary will air on C-SPAN at 6:50 a.m. ET and throughout the day on April 19.
Congratulations to Jacob, Matt, and Riley! Shout out also to Mrs. LaPietra, UHS Social Studies teacher, for encouraging students to use their class project to submit in this C-SPAN competition. Nice work!
Below are pictures from the day they learned they won and the following day when WHO-TV 13 came to interview them about their experience.
Learning around UHS
Students in Mrs. Strong's Spanish 4 class create videos with green screen
Students in Mrs. Strong's Spanish 4 class create videos with green screen
AP Government class engage in discussion
Seniors work on project outside of class.
Herff Jones representatives distribute senior graduation announcements
Connections Cup competition: Family Fued!