Should We Buy Mass Produced Food?
Is it okay?
What Is Mass Produced Food?
Mass producing is the method of producing goods in large quantities at a low cost. When mass producing meats, poultry, fish, eggs, and milk it is called agribusiness. Some people believe agribusiness is the only way to feed the billions in America. However the cost to humans health and the mistreatment of animals is too great.
Animals are treated poorly
- Each caged laying hen has only 67 square inches witch is less space than a single of letter sized paper.
- Unable to spread their wings, caged laying hens are among the most intensively confined animals in agribusiness.
- Caged hens also suffer from the denial of many natural behaviors such as nesting, perching, and dust bathing all important for the hens welfare.
Chemicals used during mass production can cause harm to animals and people
- Around 70% of antibiotics and similar drugs produced in the U.S are given to livestock and poultry.
- Factory farmed cattle fed grains are more susceptible to E. coli and other bacterial infections.
- the smells coming from ONE hog farm , with some 80,000 hogs in Missouri forced many residents to buy air conditioners because they could no longer open thier windows for fresh air.
Hurting Nature ,Animals, And You
- In McDonald county, Mississippi, where 13 million broiler chickens and hundreds of thousands of turkeys are produced, every stream is on government " impaired water body list "
- An average farmed salmon steak contains nearly 10 times more toxic PCB s than a salmon steak.
- Arsenic and selenium are sometimes added to livestock feed to simulate appetite.