An early sewing machine was manufactured by Barthélemy Thimonnier of France in 1841. She wanted to mass-produce for the French army, although angry tailors destroyed her creations. Another inventor,Walter Hunt, had also made the first american sewing machine. Although he hadn't patented it however until around 1853. By which Elias Howe had the courts establish his patent rights. Howe, Elias(1819-1867), an American inventor, constructed a practical sewing machine. He patented it in 1846, Howe's sewing machine symbolized the important role in American industry of increasing mechanization during the 1800's.
Where did this invention occur?
~This sewing machine occured in Lowell, Massachusetts.
When did this invention occur?
~It was invented in 1845
Why was there a need for this invention?
~People wanted a faster way to sew. In fact, the sewing machine idea was thought of by a customer.
Why was this invention important in history?
~This was a big bopom on industry when patented. People all over had never experienced sewing like ever before.
Purpose Of Sewing Machine
- Carey, Charles W., Jr., and Ian C. Friedman. "Howe, Elias." American Inventors, Entrepreneurs, and Business Visionaries, Revised Edition, American Biographies. New York: Facts On File, Inc., 2011. American History Online. Facts On File, Inc.•http://www.fofweb.com/activelink2.asp?
- Conover, Mary E.
"Sewing machine." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2014.Web.
4 Feb. 2014.
- clothing and footwear industry." Britannica School. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 2014. Web. 4 Feb. 2014. <http://school.eb.com/levels/high/article/108380#66766.toc>.
- Elias Howe - Inventor OF THE SEWING MACHINE. Fine Art. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Feb 2014. http://quest.eb.com/images/107_3364240
- Hirsh, Richard F.
"Howe, Elias." World Book Advanced. World Book, 2014.Web.
4 Feb. 2014.
- sewing machine." Britannica School. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 2014. Web. 30 Jan. 2014. <http://school.eb.com/levels/high/article/66989>.
- Sewing Machine By Elias Howe, 1845. Fine Art. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 3 Feb 2014. http://quest.eb.com/images/109_141306