The Putney Post
West Homer Elementary--5th Grade
Dates to Remember
March 24-28- Book Fair
March 25- Family and Friends Night at the WHE Library 4:30-6:30
April 1, 2, 3 Standards Based Assessments---Reading, Writing, Math (STATE TESTING)
April 16- Spring Pictures
April 18- Vacation Day, No School
April 21- Art Fair Project due
April 21-25- Volunteer Appreciation Week
April 24- Spring Music Concert 6:30pm @ Mariner Theater
May 2- West Homer Art Show 5:00-7:00pm
I hope this newsletter greets you after a fun week with your kids. Although we didn’t have school last week, I want to touch base about several upcoming events.
1. Book Fair- The West Homer Book Fair will take place next week. Our class will have the opportunity to visit the Book Fair during our library time on Monday. Students may purchase Book Fair items all week before school, after school, and during lunch. On March 25th (Tuesday), families are invited to drop in the school library between 4:30-6:30 for games, food, and fun.
2. Art Fair- On May 2nd your child will be presenting a piece of art work at the West Homer Art Fair. Start brainstorming with your child regarding what piece of artwork he/she would like to bring to school for the fair.
3. SBA Testing- We are three weeks away from our state testing. Students will be testing the first three days in April. If you can avoid doctor appointments, dentist visits, etc. during this testing period it would be greatly appreciated! These test results will determine sixth grade math services as well as track general growth and understanding of concepts learned throughout the year.
4. Report Cards- Report cards for quarter three will be sent home on Monday, March 24th. If you need additional copies please let me know.
Thank you for all you do to support our classroom. I look forward to our final quarter together, and I can't believe how quickly this year is flying by.
All students in grades 3-6 will be participating in West Homer Elementary’s school wide Art Show, May 2, 2014. Each student will submit one piece of art which can be made at home or school and should be something they completed during this calendar year. It is the intent that all art pieces are entirely student creations.
As students are selecting which piece of art they would like to submit for the Art Show it’s important for them to think about how they’d like to display their art. All two dimensional work needs a “finished” border and hanger.
Art pieces will not be judged, but local artists will be providing written feedback for student work.
Art work from home must be delivered to school by April 21, 2014. Some students will be selecting work from school projects. The show will be open to the public for our First Friday Art Show, May 2, 2014 from 5-7.
- March 17-April 21, 2014 - select or design piece of artwork
- April 21, 2014 - artwork completed and delivered to school. Students will be writing statements in school to accompany their art piece over the next 2 weeks.
- May 2, 2014 - 5-7 PM West Homer Art Show
Thank you for supporting your child with this project.
West Homer Elementary
Girls on the Run
What is Girls on the Run?
Girls on the Run is an after-school empowerment program for 3rd-5th grade girls. We play games, move around, talk about stuff, and celebrate our strengths together!
When is it?
Practice starts on March 17th, and takes place Mondays and Wednesdays at the West Homer Library, from 3:30-5pm. Please wear athletic gear and dress warm.
How much does it cost?
Regular program fee is $150 for 10 weeks, but we have scholarships and even ways to get running shoes for those who need it.
How do I sign up?
Mrs. Whip in the library has extra applications and parent letters, or students can apply online. You can also turn in your paper applications to Mrs. Whip, or bring them to practice.
If a teacher is interest in volunteering, or has additional questions, they can call me at 235-7712 ext. 227 or email email@example.com.
The Spring Scholastic Book Fair Fiesta is coming soon after Spring Break! Monday March 24--Friday March 28, the Book Fair will be open all week during the school day.
Tuesday March 25th from 4:30-6:30 is the special Family and Friends Night at the Book Fair with door prizes, Flower Making, and refreshments. Come one and all and help support the library!
The Students go to the Book Fair during their regularly scheduled library classes and during after lunch recess. Teachers will also pick out books that they wish for in their classroom. Parents and students have a chance to buy a book and donate it to the classroom. A personal placard in the book denotes the donation.
There will be books, art kits, notebooks, posters and more—something for everyone! The students help me run the Book Fair. There will be lots of books and we will have lots of fun!!!!!!!
See you there,
Physical Activity Log
Students received their March Physical Activity Logs before Spring Break. Please remind your fifth grader to keep track of their physical activity for the month of March. The class with the most participants earns an extra PE time!!!
Homer Arts Camp--- June 16-20
Music, Theater, Dance, Visual Art
Homer Arts Camps is for ages 6-18. Explore traditional and contempoary music styles, instruments, and fine arts in a fun environment. Classes include bluegrass, folk, old-time, rock, pop, jazz, and blues, plue impovisational theatre, ceramics, visual art, and dance.
10:00AM - 3:30PM
West Homer Elementary
Early Registaration: $250 (before May 30)
Call 907-235-4288 to ask about scholarship assistance.
IXL- Math Practice Site
To get your child started on your home computer, please follow these steps:
1. Go to www.IXL.com/signin/westhomer
2. Enter your child’s username and password and click Sign in.
Username: firstinital,lastname@westhomer (EX: eputney@westhomer)
Password:firstinital,lastname (EX: eputney)
3. Choose 5th grade.
4. Find a skill to practice that relates to what we have been covering in class.
IXL Skills to Practice This Week: B15, B16, B17 (Area and Perimeter of Rectangles and Triangles)