Mrs. McCann's Grade One
Weekly Newsletter: WEEK 20
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, Feb. 10 and 17 - 11:40 Dismissal (Don't forget to pack a snack)
- Thursday, Feb. 9 - Fun Lunch & 100th Day Capes are due
- Friday, Feb. 10 - 100th Day Celebration. Assembly in the gym @ 10:20
- Monday, Feb. 20 - NO SCHOOL: Family Day
- Tuesday, Feb. 21 - School Council Meeting @ 6:30
- Wednesday, Feb. 22 - Pink Shirt Day
- Friday, Feb. 24 - FULL DAY FRIDAY & Jersey Day
- March 9 & 10 - Teacher Convention
- 100TH DAY: Please have your child's 100th day cape completed and returned by February 9. The 100th Day Celebration will take place the following Friday morning. We will be having fun centres in the classroom and a treat will be sent home at the end of the day. We are hoping to get a visit from Zero the Hero:) Parents are welcome to join us in the gym for our assembly at 10:20.
- VALENTINE'S DAY: With Valentine's Day approaching in a couple weeks, Grade 1 is buzzing with the excitement of sending and receiving valentine cards. This is a great opportunity to get your child to do some writing. The students are proving to be enthusiastic and competent writers. A list of students will be going home on February 6. We will be handing out our Valentines on Tuesday, Feb. 14.
- ANTI-BULLYING CAMPAIGN: On Feb. 22, we are encouraging our students to wear pink to support anti-bullying day. We encourage everyone to openly express that “Kindness is one size fits all”. We all have the capacity to spread kindness and that is the underlying philosophy behind the anti-bullying movement: a movement we hope lives year round beyond Pink Shirt Day. After all, kindness never goes out of style.
Here are a few things that have been "happening" in the classroom. These are great discussion starters with your child.
1) The new character we were introduced to is for the following vowel combinations: "a-e, ay, and ai" (Skating Abe Hare). Have your child show you the gestures and then come up with some words that have this sound.
2) Get your child to count from 1-20 and 20-1 .