School Library System
Week of June 10-14, 2019
Summer Professional Learning
This summer we will focus on:
- Incorporating the AASL Standards - Elementary
- Incorporating the AASL Standards - Secondary
- Primary Sources (application deadline June 14)
- Leap Into Readers Advisory with Stacey Rattner and Alicia Abdul
- Lesson Collaboration
Sign up now. Workshops with fewer than 10 people on June 30th may be cancelled.
Save the Date: Copyright Workshop September 24th
Union Catalog - Records Needed
Schools who are part of Follett library automation through Questar III do not need to submit records.
Interlibrary Loan Statistics Due June 21st
End-of-Year Recognition Dinner
A few of the people who were part of our mentor program this year. There were 11 total.
Congratulations Rob Messia on being awarded the SLS Administrator of the Year Award.
Congratulations to Britt Buckenroth on being awarded the Movers and Shakers award!
Annual Survey - Closes Today!
ENYSLMA Summer Meeting - July 10th
Bulletin Board by Ellen Kelley-Scalzi at Troy High School
The Revised Information Fluency Continuum is Complete
Feel free to take a look at the PDF and get a general overview of the document. Check the professional learning catalog that will be coming out over the summer for training dates. A printed copy will be provided at one of the trainings and in an effort to be sustainable, we will be asking you to bring your green binder to the training so it can be reused for the updated IFC.
Finally, on June 11th I had the opportunity to speak with the Curriculum Council at a meeting here at Questar III and hand out the benchmarks so if your curriculum administrator was at that meeting, this is now on their radar. They know that we will be digging into this next year.
Polly Farrington Retires!
51 Claremont Dr.
Voorheesville, NY 12186
We are planning a celebration of the woman and her work. Join us on Saturday evening July 6 for dinner and a proper salute to Polly Farrington. When we know numbers, we will decide on a location but it will surely be somewhere in the Capital Region, probably the Colonie area. To keep it simple, we will order from the menu and each pay our own dinner. Text or email Linda Fox (528-469-0174 or Lfox18@gmail.com) by June 21. Let her know if you will attend and she will get more info out soon to those who indicate they will be there.
Questar III School Library System Specialist
Questar III BOCES is looking for a full-time (10-month school schedule plus 20 days in summer) School Library Systems Specialist based out of our central office in Castleton, NY. This position is responsible for assisting school librarians and library staff within Rensselaer, Columbia and Greene counties. The incumbent works closely with school librarians to assist with database orders and to provide support related to system programs and services. The position conducts trainings on various topics and services; manages the library automation catalog patron and bibliographic records; maintains the system wide union catalog; actively participates in professional development; assists the Director with reporting requirements; and other duties as assigned.
Qualified candidates must have a valid NYS Library Media Specialist. Preferred candidates will have minimum of three years of SLMS experience and knowledge of library trends; knowledge of automated information management systems; excellent communication, organizational and computer skills; knowledge of instructional methods, strategies, and pedagogy; knowledge of curriculum development processes and learning theories; and knowledge of national and state standards for information and technology literacy.
Questar III BOCES prefers an online application – please apply at www.olasjobs.org/capital. In addition to your on-line application, please scan and upload supporting documentation including resume, certification, and letters of reference.
For more information on Questar III, please visit www.questar.org
Application Deadline: 07/08/2019
Start Date: 09/03/2019
Feel free to contact Kerrie with any questions.
School Library System Director - Orange-Ulster BOCES
Orange-Ulster BOCES is seeking a certified, experienced, organized, and highly responsive School Library System Coordinator. This is a full time, 12-month position at Orange-Ulster BOCES, Goshen. Appropriate NYS certification and fingerprinting required.
Salary commensurate with experience and training. Candidates must have three-year's experience working as a school librarian. Posting link: http://www.ouboces.org/jobs.cfm?job=1480&cat=63&getjob=1
Position Title: Coordinator of Library Services
Candidates should have NYS Library Media Specialist certification, NYS School District Leader/ School District Administrator (may be in progress), and 3-5 years experience as a teacher and/or librarian preferred. Leadership experience preferred. Candidates should be hard working, self-directed leaders, creative, service-oriented, technology savvy, multi-taskers with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work well as a member of a professional team.
OU BOCES a leader in pre-K to 12 regional educational services seeks a visionary administrator to serve as Library Services Coordinator. In this role the coordinator will serve over 60,000 students across 18 school districts to provide:
- cutting-edge regional library services,
- library automation coordination and support,
- professional development to teachers, librarians, and administrators,
- develop innovative instructional programs using library resources,
- support to library enrichment programs such as ELL student programs, regional student events (spelling bees, read aloud programs, etc.), family engagement,
- supervision of library staff,
- sound fiscal management of library budgets,
- development and maintenance of a significant educator professional reference library,
- development and maintenance student resources library (books, databases, and instructional materials/kits) in support of NYS curriculum
- web-based services and e-resources,
- oversight and performance of a range of complex problem-solving and specialized daily tasks within the library system, as well as with vendors, districts, and other entities outside the library requiring a high level of professional expertise and customer service skills.
- directs the development of unit operating policies and procedures, systems to maintain unit records, and collection usage statistics,
- skill with writing and managing grants,
- assure technology is used to access and interpret texts and materials, and
Please apply on OLAS (www.olasjobs.org/mhv) and also mail a paper cover letter and resume to Dr. Diane Lang, OU BOCES, 4 Harriman Dr. Goshen, NY 10924. Review of resumes will begin 5/19/19 and continue until the position is filled. Please apply as soon as possible. (Start date is 7/1/19.)