Bulldog Family Bulletin
What's New for SY 23-24
As we wrap up week two of school year 2023-2024, we are excited about the work we are starting with scholars. Even more importantly, we are excited to share a few new ventures we are taking to make this the best school year yet.
1. From Class Dojo to DeansList: You may ask yourself, why the switch? DeansList allows us to share more information with you about your scholar's progress in school. Many of you have asked about weekly progress reports based on family feedback. The DeansList system allows you, as the parent/guardian, to view your scholar's attendance, grades, and weekly behavior. For students, it provides opportunities to reflect on their behavior and academic progress and make purchases from the school store with their points. At Open House, we shared login links for families to join. Please reach out to your scholar's teacher if you need the link. Check out the video below to help navigate the new platform.
2. New Meals Vendor: We have a new vendor for our breakfast and lunch meal program, and trust me, the food is good! More of our scholars are now eating breakfast and lunch here at school. There's more variety, larger portions, and much tastier than in previous years. Breakfast and lunch menus for September will come out this week!
3. Extended Learning Time: Academic recovery is one of our key priorities this school year. Nationally, the pandemic significantly impacted student growth and achievement, especially Black and Brown children. We have extended our school day to help maximize instruction and close the gaps for our students. As a reminder, doors open at 8:00 a.m. Dismissal begins for all students at 3:30 p.m. Scholars must be in school every day, ALL day.
Be on the lookout for more information this week to help inform you about school year 2023-2024. Again, we are excited about the promise of this year and the work we have planned to push academic achievement and growth. If you have any questions, please contact us at 202-559-6138 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All the best,
Beginning of Year Testing
Students in grades K-8 will take the I-ready Reading and Math Assessments starting Friday September 8th thru Friday, September 15th. Your support and encouragement are vital during this time.
Here's how you can help:
1. Offer words of encouragement before the assessment.
2. Ensure your child gets a good night's sleep.
3. Arrive to school on-time!
4. Eat a nutritious breakfast. Breakfast at school is from 8:00-8:30am.
Sy 23-24 Dismissal Policy
During pickup, families are expected to pull into the far left lane closest to school on East Capitol. DO NOT sit or park in the middle lane to avoid traffic jams. If you are blocking or parked in this lane, you may receive a ticket as this is a main street. Scholar pick up information is below:
- PreS-2nd graders are dismissed using a individual code through an app called PikMyKid. Scholars are released in the back of the school near staff parking lot & playground. To download the app on your phone click here
- 3rd-8th grade scholars are self dismissed (exit without family pickup) through the same doors as arrival.
Student Uniform Policy
Click this link to order your uniform shirts online or for additional store details for in person shopping.