Henry Elementary Patriot Post
Monday Nov. 4th:
- Begin Harvest of Love Food Drive
- Nov 4th - 8th is Canned fruits & veggie week
- Nov 11th - 15th is Canned meats and beans week
- Nov 18th - 22nd is Spirit Week!!
- Friday Nov 8th:
- 3rd Grade Field Trip to Red Rock Canyon
- Limo Ride (Fundraiser prize for students who sold 15 or more Items)
- Dance Party (Fundraiser prize for students who sold at least 1 item; this dance "party" will be held for these students toward the end of the school day in the gym)
Saturday Nov 9th:
- Girls on the Run 5K Marathon! Monument Valley Park @ 10 am (runners will need to show up for registration prior to race. Registration begins at 8 am.
Thursday Nov 14th:
- PTO/SAC meeting @ 7:45 am in Library
Monday Nov 18th:
- Pajama Day (Harvest of Love) Bring in a box of Cereal to donate and wear pajamas to school! (wear appropriate outdoor shoes)
Tuesday Nov 19th:
- Hat Day (Harvest of Love) bring a can of soup to donate and wear a hat to school!
Wednesday Nov 20th:
- Picture Retake Day
- Twin Day (Harvest of Love) Bring in PLASTIC jars of peanut butter and jelly and find a friend and dress like twins!
Thursday Nov 21st:
- Crazy Hair Day (Harvest of Love) Bring in pasta to donate and wear your hair in a crazy style.
Friday Nov 22nd:
- Patriot Pride Day! (Harvest of Love) Bring in $1 to donate and show your school pride by wearing lots of red, white & blue.
- Last day of Kids Heart Challenge
Monday Nov 25th - Friday Nov 29th:
- THANKSGIVING BREAK- Schools/District Closed (students will return on Monday Dec 2nd)
2019 Harvest of Love Nov 4th - Nov 8th
One in five Southern Colorado children does not have consistent access to food. We need your help to raise food and fund donations from 11/4/2019 to 11/22/2019 for Care and Share Food Bank’s largest food drive of the year: Harvest of Love.
To make a food donation, bring non-expired canned food donations to school with your child or drop them off in the front office. Most needed items include: canned meat, canned vegetables, canned fruit, peanut butter, and cereal. Monetary donations also go a long way. For every dollar that Care and Share receives, they are able to acquire 10 pounds of food, the equivalent of 8 meals for our neighbors struggling with hunger. That means that if we collect just $1 from every single student and staff member, we will be providing almost 4,000 pounds of food!
A School Pantry Coordinator recently shared this story with Care and Share: “We had a student who was very stressed about having to be a breadwinner for the family. She worked a lot of hours while trying to study for exams. Because our school pantry was able to provide food to her, she was able to cut back her hours at work some and that, in turn, had more time to study time for classes. This 16-year-old was almost in tears when she was offered help for her large family.”
What is even more wonderful about the food drive at our school, is that not only are we helping to feed families all across southern Colorado, we are also helping families in need right here at Henry Elementary! A small portion of the food/money that we collect during our Harvest of Love is used to provide Thanksgiving food baskets to some of our very own Henry families that are in need. The remainder of the food donations and money goes directly to the Care & Share Food Bank here in Colorado Springs. If you know of a family that is in need this season, please have them contact out school Social Worker, Ms. Schnee.
Your donation to Harvest of Love can make a lasting impact in the lives of so many.
Thursday, Nov. 14th, 7:45am
1310 Lehmberg Boulevard
Colorado Springs, CO
Strong Attendance Builds Strong Minds!
Tips for Strong Student Attendance:
¨ Make sure your student has a regular bedtime and established routine.
¨ Get clothes and backpacks ready the night before
¨ Avoid scheduling vacations or doctor’s appointments when school is in session.
¨ Talk to teachers, counselors, or school administration if your student feels anxious about going to school
¨ Check with our school nurse or office staff if you are not sure about when to keep your child home due to illness
¨ Develop back up plans for getting to school if something comes up
DID YOU KNOW?
Studies show that students that miss 10 or more days of school per year are 20% more likely to NOT graduate from high school and 25% less likely to NOT enroll in college?
We do understand that sometimes kids get sick and are not well enough to come to school. If your child is too sick to attend school, please remember to call the Henry Attendance Line at 719-328-7212 to excuse your child. Please DO NOT call the main office number to excuse you child. You can call the attendance line 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Also please be aware that all absences of 3 or more days will require a doctor's note to excuse.
ASISTENCIA DEL ESTUDIANTE
Consejos para una fuerte asistencia de los estudiantes:
Asegúrese de que su hijo tenga una rutina regular para acostarse y para irse a la cama.
Prepare la ropa y las mochilas la noche anterior.
Evite programar vacaciones o citas médicas cuando la escuela esté en sesión.
Hable con los maestros, consejeros o la administración de la escuela si su hijo se siente ansioso por ir a la escuela
Consulte a nuestra enfermera escolar o al personal de la oficina si no está seguro de cuándo mantener a su hijo en casa debido a una enfermedad
Desarrolle planes de respaldo para llegar a la escuela si surge algo
Los estudios muestran que los estudiantes que pierden 10 o más días de clases por año tienen un 20% más de probabilidades de NO graduarse de la escuela secundaria y un 25% menos de NO inscribirse en la universidad. Entendemos que a veces los niños se enferman y no están lo suficientemente bien como para venir a la escuela. Si su hijo está demasiado enfermo para asistir a la escuela, recuerde llamar a la Línea de Asistencia Henry al 719-328-7212 para disculpar a su hijo. Por favor NO llame al número de la oficina principal para disculpar a su hijo. Puede llamar a la línea de asistencia las 24 horas del día, los 7 días de la semana. También tenga en cuenta que todas las ausencias de 3 o más días requerirán una nota del médico para justificar.