5th Grade Music Notes
Our November Learning Goals
- I will be able to READ MUSIC and play my recorder
- I will be able to read and play BAG and E on my recorder.
- I will be able to perform an independent part on an instrument.
November Songs We've Learned
- The Hey Hey Jam (singing, recorder, and xylophones)
- Time/Space/Energy- a movement and drum activity
- Fast Dance (recorders and xylophones)
- Egg-Chicken-Dinosaur-Superhero (game and recorder review activity)
- Hot Cross Buns/Gently Sleep/Merrily We Roll Along
- It's Raining, It's Pouring
What is Recorder Karate?
Recorder Karate is a series of songs that increase in difficulty. As students pass each song, they are awarded a colored "belt" to signify their mastery of the song. 5th Grade students will be required to pass one belt this month, and one belt in January/February. Students can choose to test extra belts to earn extra credit!
Our assignment this month is to record ourselves playing the next “Recorder Karate” song in the series with ClipChamp on our Chromebooks. From there, students should save the video in the their Google Drive and turn it in for a grade by clicking “add” in the Google Classroom assignment. These video playing tests are due next week in music.
We have gone over in class how to do this, and there is also a tutorial linked in the Google Classroom assignment. There is also a link to the Recorder Karate section of the music website, which has the music and instructional videos for each song in the series.
Please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Amsler if you have questions or technical issues.
You can also view the tutorial for this assignment here: http://tinyurl.com/js6hpjl
Homework in Music?
Don't forget those "Mad Minute" Tests!
Every month students will have a Mad Minute test in Music! Students have 1 minute to name 30 note names that they need to have memorized. Memorizing note names improves students’ overall music reading performance; it decreases the amount of time to translate written music to instruments and allows students to move onto more challenging concepts.
Although the grades will be posted in the grade book, hang tight- they will be averaged at the end of the semester for a single Mad Minute grade. We are tracking our progress so that we can see if they are improving on their music reading skills. Please support your student by helping him/her practice with flash cards or the optional worksheets that are sent home!
If you have any questions or concerns about this program, please don’t hesitate to contact Mrs. Amsler!
You can learn more about reading music by visiting the JM Music Website: http://hobart.schoolwires.com/Page/3190
Our 5th Grade Concert is April 25, at 6:30pm
Dates to Remember
- December 15- 2nd grade trip to IBT Nutcracker (10am), grandparents day performance at 2pm, and concert at 6:30pm
- January 24- 1Ba, 1Pe, 1Ti First Grade informances at 6:00pm (grade levels will be split in half, one group goes 24th and other group goes 26th)
- January 26- 1Jo and 1Ev First Grade informances at 6:00pm
- February 24- Fourth Grade Drama Club Performance 6:30pm
- March 16- Fourth Grade CONCERT 6:30pm
- March 20-24- "Bring a Friend to Music" days, more info TBA
- April 11- Third Grade Concert at 6:30pm
- April 25- Fifth Grade Concert at 6:30pm
- May 8-12 Talent Day during Music Class
What Does Mrs. Amsler Want for Christmas?
If you didn't get a chance to donate towards our last project, please consider donating towards our new one. You can donate $1 or as much as you are able- every little bit counts! Please consider sharing this link and help support music in OUR school!
You can view our project by clicking on this link: https://www.donorschoose.org/jmmusic