August 2022 UPDATE
This update to the August edition of the Hawks Happenings newsletter has some repeat information but there is new information related to first week logistics. Thanks for your support of NBES!
Meet Your Teacher - What to expect
- Class Lists will be posted outside.
- Feel free to bring in school supplies with you to drop off.
- Bus Drivers will be on hand in the gym to answer questions.
- Visit the Media Center to get help completing the Free and Reduced Lunch Form.
- Meet Your Teacher is a drop-in event. You do not need to stay the entire time.
- We will have many staff members place around the school campus to help you find your way!
School Supply Lists
We are excited about our upcoming school year! Please review the list for your child's grade level to see what is needed. Click on the link to see each supply list.
2022-2023 School Supply Lists!
Link to NBES website: https://nbes.buncombeschools.org/o/nbe/article/781199
Free and Reduced Lunch Program
Free/Reduced Meal Applications for the new school year are available now! You may apply online at Buncombe County Schools Free and Reduced Application.>>> https://bit.ly/3QaVJHm
This important program ensures all of our students have access to healthy lunches during the school day without accruing large cafeteria balances. This program is confidential and registration is easy! This year, children who qualify for this program will not be responsible for any of the cost of the lunch.
This year, universal free lunch is no longer available as we continue with COVID recovery.
Paper applications will be given out on the first day of school.
Please take a few minutes to fill out a free and reduced meal application today, even if you aren’t sure if you will qualify. If you have questions or need assistance please call 828-255-5927.
Please note that all schools will still serve breakfast to students at no cost next year!
What do you need when you sign up for Free and Reduced Lunch?
If you have this information handy, it will make the application process fast and easy.
- If you participate in an assistance program you will need to know your case number (not your card or account number).
- If you do not participate in an assistance programs, you will need to report your total household income. In that case…
- if anyone in your household has a job, you may need to reference the earnings statements or pay stubs to report your gross income, which is different from the amount you actually receive in your paycheck.
- if anyone receives Social Security or retirement benefits, you may need to gather the benefit statements to report the amount and frequency of the payments.
- you may also need to reference other financial documents for additional sources of income.
Still not sure if you have everything you need? Don’t worry! The income section of the application contains detailed instructions and explanations about the sources of income you must include, and you can gather additional information then.
Sign up for the Parent Portal!
From attendance and grades to assignments and announcements, our parent portals allow you to more fully participate in your child's education. We welcome parent involvement and strive to keep you informed.
The PowerSchool Parent Portal
Looking for grades, attendance, custom notification options, and the ability to update your student's contact information? This is all part of our PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Parents also love the BCS district mobile app for staying connected to their child's education. Using your iOS or Android device, you'll have instant access to menus, school news stories, district weather and safety notifications, and more!
Want to know your child's class placement? Check this out!
Kindergarten teachers will mail postcards on August 19th with your child's class assignment and which day your child is scheduled to attend (August 29 or August 30). Remember that Kindergarten has a staggered start - half of our Kindergarten students come on August 29 and half come on August 30.
For Students in Grades 1-4:
Parents of students in grades 1-4 will be able to check the Parent Portal the week of August 22nd to see class teacher assignment. The portal will open on Monday, August 22nd (See directions above regarding how to sign up). We will also have tables set up outside the school at Meet Your Teacher with class lists.
At this time, no class lists have been shared with parents.
Mrs. Jamison and I mailed the Kindergarten postcards on Thursday morning! How exciting! ❤️ If you do not receive your postcard by next Wednesday, please give us a call on Thursday morning. #kindergarten #snailmail
Sign up for Ingles Tools for Schools and give back to NBES!
We LOVE volunteers!
NBES welcomes volunteers! There are many ways for individuals to volunteer at our school. All volunteers must fill out an online volunteer application and be on the approved volunteer list before volunteering. Potential volunteers may go ahead and start on this process by following the link below. Thank you in advance for your support!
Safety Reminders - Car Rider Line procedures
One of our top priorities here at NBES is to ensure the safety and well-being of our students. This includes the car line pick-up of children during dismissal times. Cars should not form a car line anywhere on campus prior to 2:20 PM. Do not block the road leading up to the main office. If you arrive on campus earlier, please park in a parking space in the parking lot and form the car rider line beginning at 2:20 PM. It is unlawful for cars to pass the car line on the wrong side of the road. Car riders are not dismissed until 2:35 PM (after buses leave the campus).
Cards, exclusive to our school, are issued for car riders. This card is to be placed in your car window for afternoon pick-up. All kindergarten students and students new to our school should have received car rider tags. If you need additional cards, please contact the school office.
If there have been any changes in pick-up information or custody issues related to your child’s pick-up, please contact the school office to make us aware. Please also make us aware anytime there is a change during the school year.
Please print your child’s (children’s) FIRST and LAST name on the card in large, dark letters. This card should be displayed in view on the driver’s side of the card (on the dashboard, sun visor, etc.). If you arrive at school without your official NBES car rider card, you will be asked to park and office staff will need to approve the pick-up. Please remember this is not meant to be an inconvenience to anyone, but an additional way to help protect our students. Please do not ask staff members on duty to compromise this policy and risk the safety of our students.
Car riders are held in the building until their name is called. At that time your child (children) will come out and wait for you at the curb occupied by one of our staff members. All car riders should be picked up in the car rider line.
Traffic will move more smoothly, quickly, and safely in the afternoon by following these dismissal procedures. Thank you for your cooperation as we all work together to ensure student safety.
Safety Reminders - Arrival at our front door procedures
We are asking for your assistance in keeping our schools safe. As you know, our schools are usually bustling with activity such as visitors dropping by for various reasons. As a reminder, here are our guidelines when multiple people are arriving at the same time.
If you have buzzed in and are being screened and you notice another visitor is arriving, please don't hold the door and allow anyone in without being screened first.
If the other visitor is 15 feet or less from the door, please buzz in and be screened together. If the visitor is more than 15 feet from the door, please buzz in and ensure the door is closed completely after you enter.
We certainly want to encourage politeness and our visitors understand that it is unsafe to hold doors and allow visitors in without being verified by front office staff first. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Safety Reminders and Safety Drills
Part of having a safe school is making sure that everyone knows what to do in case of an emergency. NBES has a safety plan that is updated at least yearly. We have a well trained School Resource Officer provided by Buncombe County Sherriff's Department. Staff members participate in safety training yearly. Part of our training with students involves classroom discussions and safety drills. Please see the list below for more information.
Classroom discussions focus on:
- keeping hands, feet and other objects to self
- following teacher directions
- students not opening outside doors for anyone
- staying with the class when transitioning through the building
- how to exit the school quickly when the fire alarm is heard
Safety Drills include:
- monthly fire drill
- bus safety drills at the beginning of each semester
- perimeter and full lockdown drills
- bomb threat/evacuation drill (we won't actually leave campus)
- tornado drill
During safety drills students are assured that we are just practicing what to do in case we have an emergency.
First Day of School Drop-Off
We do ask that you help us begin our day by quickly exiting the building after you have taken your pictures. While it may be difficult to leave your child (especially Kindergartners), children typically calm quicker and engage in activities if their parents are not lingering outside the door.
Keep in mind that securing a parking spot may be an issue if you choose to walk your child inside. Arrive in plenty of time to complete any drop-off activities. At 8 AM, class will begin and parents will need to exit the classroom at this time so the school day can begin.
Here are some drop off guidelines:
- Kindergarten parents will enter the school at the K/1 door (near the kickball field) on Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesday, all students/visitors will enter through the main doors.
- Kindergarten parents are asked to avoid lingering the pod area after you complete your drop off. A 'Boo-Hoo or Yahoo' Breakfast will be set up in room 502 for any Kindergarten parents who need a few extra minutes to collect yourself before you exit our campus. We will have some food items as well as plenty of tissues available for you. The breakfast will be set up between 7:30 and 8:15 AM so you can enjoy some treats, wipe happy/sad tears and/or connect with other Kindergarten parents.
- Starting on Tuesday, September 6th, parents should drop off all students in the car rider line.
August 29 - First Day of School for all students in grades 1-4 and half of Kindergarten!
August 30 - First Day of School for other half of Kindergarten students
Kindergarten has a staggered school start to give more time for the adjustment to school. All students attend school on August 31st.
September 1 - Fire Drill
September 2 - Bus Safety Drills
September 5 - No School - Labor Day
September 7 - Lockdown Safety Drill
September 9 - School Improvement Team Meeting
September 12 and 13 - Proposed Campus Beautification Days (more info to come!)
September 13 - PTO Meeting at 12:45 in Media Center
September 22 - Title 1 Open House and Curriculum Night
- Session 1 - 5:45 - 6:15 PM
- Session 2 - 6:30 - 7:00 PM
September 27 - Fall Picture Day
September 29 - Early Dismissal Day - School dismisses at 12:25
October 7 - Fall Festival!
October 11 - PTO Meeting at 12:45 in Media Center
October 13 - School Improvement Team Meeting
Mrs. Heidi Allison
Location: 251 Flat Creek Church Road, Weaverville, NC, USA
Phone: (828) 645-6054