Who was Albert Einstein?
- Born on the 14th of March 1879 in Germany to a Jewish family.
Was average in school mainly interested in math and science, showed great ability in both He was naturally curious and had a brilliant analytical mind.
Left School at the age of 15 because family moved to Milan.
When his family relocated to Switzerland he went to school to make up for his dropping out.
Young Adult Years
- Attended school in Zurich to become a math and physics teacher finished in July 1900.
- Einstein found steady work in 1902 after receiving a referral for a clerk position in a Swiss patent office.
- Married Milena Maric on Jan. 6, 1903. The couple went on to have two sons, Hans and Eduard.
- Marriage with Maric lasted till 1919, after divorce he married Elsa Löwenthal.
Einstein's work as theoretical physicist
- In 1905 Einstein had four papers published in the Annalen der Physik, one of the best known physics journals of the era.
- The four papers focused on the photoelectric effect, Brownian motion, the special theory of relativity and the matter/energy relationship.
- In his fourth paper, Einstein came up with the equation E=mc2, suggesting that tiny particles of matter could be converted into huge amounts of energy, foreshadowing the development of atomic power.
- In 1921, Einstein won the Nobel Prize for Physics.Because his ideas on relativity were still considered questionable, he received the prize for his explanation of the photoelectric effect.
- In 1933, Einstein took on a position at the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, New Jersey. He never returned to Europe.
- Spent the rest of his life working on a unified field theory.
Einstein partnered with a British philosopher, Bertrand Russell, to publicize the dangers of nuclear weapons.
On 17 April 1955, Albert Einstein experienced internal bleeding caused by the rupture of an aneurysm.
- Hitler considered him public enemy number one.
- Two of Einstein's least favorite things: Haircuts and socks.
- When Einstein was five years old and sick in bed, his father showed him something that sparked his interest in science: a compass.
- After his death in 1955, Einstein brain was removed - without permission from his family - by Thomas Harvey, the Princeton Hospital pathologist who conducted the autopsy. Harvey took the brain home and kept it in a jar. He was later fired from his job for refusing to relinquish the organ.
- Einstein's noble peace prize money went to 1st wife in divorce settlement.
- The reason Einstein has his tongue out in his picture was to try to ruin the photo.But his plan to ruin the photo-backfired.Since Einstein already had the reputation for being a bit bazarre,the photo was seen as another example of his charm,and become one of famous picture of Einstein ever taken.