What is Common Core??
So what is Common Core?
The standards for Common Core were created because our academic progress was falling behind when compared to other countries academic success. These standards were created so that students graduating from high school would have the skills to succeed in college, career and life.
How does Common Core work?
The standards establish guidelines for Language Arts as well as literacy in History and Science. The standards have overall standards for this subject but they also have individual grade standards that should be accomplished by each child at the end of the grade year. The standards are focused around reading, writing, speaking, listening and using language in a variety of areas.
When comparing education in America to other countries it always comes down to math. The standards were based off of this and focused on bringing our knowledge of math up so it is comparable to other countries. The standards draw on international standards as well as research that has been done across the country. These new standards provide clarity and specifics instead of broad general standards.
Example of 4th Grade Standards
English Language Arts Standards
- "Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text."
- "Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text."
- "Describe in depth a character, setting, or event in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text."
- "Interpret a multiplication equation as a comparison."
- "Multiply or divide to solve word problems involving multiplicative comparison."
- "Solve multistep word problems."
*all taken from commoncorestandards.org. Click on link below to read more.