Fulton Science Academy High School
ACCREDITED AND STEM CERTIFIED COLLEGE PREP HIGH SCHOOL
WEEK OF August 12, 2019
high school newsletter
Welcome to our first high school newsletter of the 2019 - 2020 school year! Our high school newsletter is for all of our high school students and families. These newsletters contain some of what goes out in the main school-wide newsletter, but also has a lot of helpful and exclusive information for our high school students. Make sure to read through thoroughly and don't miss a thing! We are also sharing this newsletter with elementary and middle school families so that they learn about our high school even before they attend.
It's amazing to see our high school growing from year to year and seeing all of you every day makes me so so happy!
ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL'S CORNER
FSA Connect Usernames and Passwords went out today for students. Students were given handouts from their homeroom teacher with their usernames, passwords, and general information about connect.
Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Ms. Hibbah Agha
Professional School Counselor | 7th – 12th grade
(678) 366-2555 ext:158
The myth of the Ivy League
by: Eileen Torrez
"By buying into the idea that getting into an elite school equals success, we may overlook another essential component of a great education. " CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL ARTICLE
High School Counseling Website
https://fultonscienceacademycounseling.weebly.com/ - sharing as much as I can in one place! (UPDATES COMING SOON)
Want to Meet with Me?
For appointments, please email Hibbah Agha with your availability. You will receive an email confirmation for your appointment date and time.
FSA's Mission & Vision
To establish an educational framework designed to achieve the highest academic results and instill enduring strength of character by leveraging innovation and STEAM curriculums for college preparedness and lifelong student success.
Fulton Science Academy Private School envisions to be a nationally ranked and recognized school for pre-K through 12th grade, serving advanced and gifted student populations committed to academic success, civic responsibility, global citizenship, and high ethical values within a safe environment that celebrates diversity and is nurtured by the collaborative efforts of its stakeholders and the broader community.
What's in this Issue?
- School Hours and Bell Schedule
- FSA NAMED #7 BEST PRIVATE HIGH SCHOOL AND MORE IN GEORGIA ON NICHE
- Important Arrival & Dismissal Information; Please read carefully
- Reporting Absences
- !FSA Spanish Trip to Costa Rica!
- Cyber Readiness 2019; High School Students are Encouraged to Attend
- Be the Solution STEM Competition
- MetroHacks Hackathon
- State School Superintendent Richard Woods seeks 2019-20 Student Advisory Council
- Steam Innovation Awards (SIA)
- The Borgen Project; A community fundraising program to raise awareness and donations for global poverty reduction advocacy measures
- 2019 - 2020 Sports Teams Tryout Schedule
- FSA Sideline Store; 20% off Back-to-School Essentials!
- 2019 Volleyball Schedule
- Order Your Yearbook by September 30th to get 15% Off!
- AP CAPSTONE; WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
- FSAConnect mobile App
- and more!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
Dates / Events Subject to Change
Tuesday, August 13: Volleyball Game AWAY at Kings; MS 5:00, VG 6:00
Thursday, August 15: Volleyball Game AWAY at Lyndon; MS 4:30, VG 5:30
Tuesday, August 20: First Cross Country (XC) Meet @ Praise (see Coach Ayres for time)
Tuesday, August 20: Volleyball Game HOME against Fideles; MS 4:30, VG 5:30
Thursday, August 22: Volleyball Game HOME against Cristo Rey; VG 5:00
Thursday, August 22: Volleyball Game AWAY at Cornerstone; MS 5:30
Friday, August 23: New Parent Breakfast, 8:30 am (more info to come)Tuesday, August 27: Volleyball Game HOME against Kings; MS 5:00
Tuesday, August 27: Volleyball Game HOME against South Atlanta HS; VG 5:30
Wednesday, August 28: Picture Day by LifeTouch (more info to come)
Thursday, August 29: High School Curriculum Night, 6:00pm - 7:30pmThursday, August 29: Volleyball Game HOME against Lyndon; MS 4:30, VG 5:30
Friday, August 30: Costa Rica Informational Meeting (3:20pm in Room P6)
School Hours & Bell Schedule
Please know that if High School students arrive
AT or AFTER 8:00am, they will be marked as tardy.
FSA NAMED #7 BEST PRIVATE HIGH SCHOOL AND MORE IN GEORGIA ON NICHE
Important Arrival & Dismissal Information; Please read carefully
School arrival begins as early as 7:00 a.m. Our arrival process is pretty simple.
Please take the time to read the below arrival and dismissal instructions.
Please see the instructions below:
- 2nd grade - 12th grade students will use the front entrance by the mustang statue / flag pole to enter the school building during morning arrival.
- High school classes begin at 8:00 a.m.
- High school students should be at school no later than 7:55 am.
- Please do not park in the teacher lot to drop your students off.
- Please be reminded that the speed limit is 15 mph on campus. Please never go above 15 mph on campus.
- Cell Phone use is not permitted during drop off
High School Dismissal
- High school families do not have to use dismissal lanes.
- When high school parents arrive to school, they can park in a parking place and text their students for pick up. High school students will be allowed to walk to their cars. Please do not text your students to come out before the end of their school day, which is 3:16pm
When your student will be absent from school for the entire day, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
Families, Please Update your Information
New Parent Breakfast with the MSO
New Parent Breakfast on Friday the 23rd of August - watch your email for the Evite.
We are collecting old uniforms in good condition for resale. Please drop off at the front desk.
Cyber Readiness 2019; High School Students are Encouraged to Attend
!FSA Spanish Trip to Costa Rica!
My name is Krushna Malapati, and I am a Director at MetroHacks, a 501c3 educational nonprofit dedicated to empowering high school students with practical computer science education and tools. We are running our third annual Women's Conference this year, and we would love to have your students!
It is an incredible opportunity for girls to learn from leading experts, explore in a pressure-free environment, create solutions, and compete for prizes! There will be speakers, free meals, snacks, swag, workshops, prizes, etc.
It’s completely free and open to all high school girls interested in exploring computer science, regardless of experience level.
At our event, students will:
- Create innovative solutions to various problems in society
- Learn various skills and explore topics in computer science
- Attend workshops conducted by industry experts in everything from machine learning to entrepreneurship
- Enjoy free meals and snacks all day
- Compete for grand prizes
- Get free swag from companies
- Meet other amazing women in tech from the community!
*Mentors will be available to help students with projects.
September 21, 2019
8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Microsoft 8000 Avalon Blvd. Suite 900, Alpharetta, Georgia 30009
More information and participant registration is available at https://metrohacks.org/Women/atlanta.html
Additionally, MetroHacks provides opportunities for students to get internships, kick-start their own businesses, network with experts from prominent tech companies, and gain exposure to the computer science community in the Atlanta area.
We sincerely hope to see some
of your students at our event.
Thank you so much for your time
State School Superintendent Richard Woods seeks 2019-20 Student Advisory Council
The Student Advisory Council will meet with State School Superintendent Richard Woods four times during the 2019-20 school year to discuss how decisions made at the state level are affecting students throughout Georgia. This position also includes service-oriented work on behalf of Georgia’s students, so applicants should have a strong interest in community service. All students in grades 7-12 are eligible to apply.
Middle school students will meet October 21, January 15, and March 24 with a joint community service day on May 5.
High school students will meet October 22, January 16, and March 25 with a joint community service day on May 5.\
All meetings will take place in Atlanta. For those students who are chosen and live 50+ miles outside Atlanta, overnight lodging is provided.
To be eligible for the council, this application must be received by August 31, 2019 at 5 p.m.
Students who are selected for the council will be notified directly by email on September 16, 2019, and the full list of selected students will be posted at GaDOE.org/studentadvisory the same date.
We are seeking a range of students with diverse perspectives for the Student Advisory Council. Questions such as GPA are included to ensure we are not selecting, and receiving feedback from, only those students who are highest-performing. There is no required GPA to participate in the Student Advisory Council.
Steam Innovation Awards (SIA)
Be the Solution STEM Competition
My name is Divya Nori. I have a sibling that attends FSA, and I am a junior at Milton High School.
I recently started an organization called Be the Solution [website link].
Be the Solution is hosting a STEM competition for middle and high school students called the Be the Solution Challenge. Students can create any technology-based solution to a problem related to the 2019 theme. They then film a 2 to 5 minute submission video explaining/demonstrating their project and winners will be selected by experts in the area.
High School Classroom Highlights
The Borgen Project; A community fundraising program to raise awareness and donations for global poverty reduction advocacy measures
The Borgen Project is an innovative national advocacy campaign that aims to bring global poverty reduction to the forefront of U.S. foreign policy. The organization operates through mobilization and congressional outreach; as interns, we work at the grassroots and legislative levels to foster constituent engagement and urge congresspeople to support or cosponsor key poverty-minimizing legislation.
For one of my projects, I have to implement a fundraising campaign with a goal of raising $500. For this campaign, I’m organizing a community fundraiser by incorporating performances by music schools and dance academies to encourage participation.
The program will be split into two halves, each spanning a duration of 45 minutes. The first half will constitute classical performances (primarily instrumental thus far) and the second half, semi-classical, Bollywood, etc. I am actively looking for more performers for both halves, one group for the second half, and two groups for the first half. Time slots are flexible and can be adjusted according to the structure of all of the performances. I would appreciate any help with participation in performances and volunteering and will provide acknowledgment and service hours for any academic requirements as well.
Internship & Telecommute Internship Opportunities
2019 - 2020 Sports Teams Tryout Schedule
FSA Sideline Store; 20% off Back-to-School Essentials!
20% off $100 orders only applies to select product on BSN SPORTS Sideline Store.
Exclusions apply. Offer valid while supplies last.
The FSA Sideline Online Store allows the user to select the item, color, logo, and team whether it be academic or athletic; even different sayings! The possibilities are endless! There is everything from cotton shirts to Dri-Fit Nike or UA workout shirts and so much more! Get the perfect item to rep FSA whether outside of school or for Spirit Days!
CLICK HERE TO VISIT OUR SIDELINE STORE
2019 Volleyball Schedule
Order Your Yearbook by September 30th to get 15% Off!
AP CAPSTONE; WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
We are excited to say that Fulton Science Academy Private School has the opportunity to implement the AP Capstone Program in the 2019-2020 school year!
"AP Capstone™ is a diploma program from the College Board. It’s based on two yearlong AP courses: AP Seminar and AP Research."
Participating in AP Capstone can help students:
- Stand out to colleges in the application process.
- Develop key academic skills they’ll use in college and beyond.
- Become self-confident, independent thinkers and problem solvers.
- Earn college credit: Many colleges offer credit for qualifying scores.
AP Capstone Diploma™: Granted to students who earn scores of 3 or higher in AP Seminar and AP Research and on four additional AP Exams of their choosing.
AP Seminar and Research Certificate™: Granted to students who earn scores of 3 or higher in both AP Seminar and AP Research.
FSAPS Tuition Information: http://fultonscienceacademy.org/tuition-information/
Smart Tuition is the tuition management system used by FSA. In addition to tuition, all incidental billing such as aftercare fees, sports and academic team fees, trips, etc., is also done through Smart Tuition. There is a $50 yearly fee for Smart Tuition.
If you have not set up your account or are having trouble setting up your account, please contact our Business Administrator Abdurrahim Kurt by phone or email.
Phone: (678) 366 - 2555 ext. 105
Home Visits; A Great Activity for Your Student, No Matter Their Grade Level!
Here is some feedback from our parents:
- “Early in the school year, a group of teachers took the time to come to our home to meet us and discuss the school program with us. That event brought us back to the time in which schooling was a true partnership between parent and teacher and reaffirmed in our minds that FSA truly cares about the development of our children”
- “We even had two teachers visit us at our home. They were a pleasure to meet and we could clearly see how much they enjoy teaching students.”
- “Thank you very much for your visit and the chocolates yesterday. We enjoyed having you over very much. I also want to thank you for turning math from the most complicated and somewhat scary subject into one of our most favorites.”
- “We all enjoyed your visit last night to our home. It was such a pleasure to informally get to know both of you. My son thought it was really cool that two teachers came to his house. He talked about it the whole way to school this morning in carpool. Personally, I admire the dedication you both have for your jobs. It makes a big difference in a student’s attitude toward school. Your visit left no doubt in my mind that FSA was the right decision for my son.”
- “I just wanted to write on behalf of my husband and I and thank you for visiting our child. He loved having you both come and visit. We appreciate the level of caring and attention that you have consistently shown our family. It is rare to see such a dedication from teachers for their jobs. We can tell that you love teaching and you care for our children. Thank you for visiting our child when he was not feeling well.”
How can I schedule a home visit?
To schedule a middle or high school school home visit: Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org with some suggested dates/times, as well as your students' name(s) and homeroom assignments. Mr. Duman will be in touch to confirm final details.
Depending on our teacher’s availability, at least two teachers will be together to visit our students and parents at their homes. The best times to schedule a home visit are weekdays after 5:00 pm, and anytime during the weekends, except Sunday mornings. For any questions you have about this program, send an e-mail to email@example.com
FSAConnect mobile App
We are happy to inform you that now you can check fsaconnect by mobile app.
Here is how you can access the app:
ITunes App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radix-mobile/id1159005166?mt=8
Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radix.radixmobile
The links can also be found at the bottom of your connect page by the other social media links.
A pop-up banner will appear on top of the screen when users access the school connect on their mobile devices.
Site link: https://fsaconnect.fultonscienceacademy.org
Username: fsaconnect username
Password: fsaconnect password
PLEASE SIGN UP FOR REMIND, OUR SCHOOL NOTIFICATION APPlication
JOIN FSAPS REMIND HERE: https://www.remind.com/join/fsaps
We have created a remind account to keep our community informed and up-to-date with what is happening at our school.
By joining "FSAPS remind," you will receive messages via push notifications, SMS, or e-mail. We recommend SMS option for our families and students.
We will use this tool as an addition to other communication portals we use at our school to keep our families apprised of what's happening at Fulton Science Academy. Thank you.
FSA SOcial Media
Please connect with us online and grow our social media following!
FSA is proud to be building a strong social media presence and we encourage you to follow us using one or more of the following links:
4- FSA LINKEDIN
So many of you have LinkedIn accounts. To get news about our school on LinkedIn, simply follow our schools’s LinkedIn page.