Is nuclear energy the worlds energy savior?
What is nuclear energy?
Birth of nuclear power
The trained scientists have a safety protocol to prevent nuclear disasters as showed in three mile island when the reactor melted down and no one was killed.
1. To shut down operating reactors
2. To cool down reactors so as to remove heat from nuclear fuel
3. To contain radioactive materials
This graph shows that nuclear energy is much safer than alternatives.
This pie graph shows that nuclear energy is the most practical and widely used source of emission free electricity.
This shows how efficient uranium is at producing energy.
The price of uranium is tiny compared to the total operating costs for nuclear power. As a result, these cost for uranium is predictable, unlike fossil fuels where prices can change. Also uranium is exetremly cheap at 50$ per pound.
What would happen if nuclear power was abolished
2. There are 100 power plants in the US providing 20% of the US energy.
3.In the entire history of nuclear energy production, there have only been 3 major disasters - Three Mile Island, Fukushima and Chernobyl. In the past 25 years, there have been over 10 major disasters with fossil fuel energy- the largest of which was the no oil spill.
4. It can cost as much as 6 million to build a new reactor for an existing plant.
5. Nuclear power plants creates 1800 jobs at construction as well as 700 permanent jobs.
6. Some scientists estimate that a person receives 5 times as much radiation in a life time from sitting in front of a tv or computer as you would from living next to a nuclear station.
7. 1 kg of coal can power a light bulb for four days. In comparason nuclear power can power the same bulb for 685 years.