Sartartia Middle School-Exemplary Education Everyday-8.15.19
We had a great first day back!
Dear Jag Families,
As we embark upon the 2019-2020 school year, we are elated to report an awesome first 2 days of school. We thoroughly enjoy getting to know our 6th graders and all our new students. We are excited to welcome back our returning 7th and 8th graders.
I also would like to give a big shout out to our fabulous PTO for a successful teacher luncheon this past Tuesday. It was enjoyed by all!
Thanks to all our parents and students who showed up for the Chalk Walk Tuesday evening. We sure do have some talent around here.
- Sports physicals available tonight at Hopson Field house (Hightower HS) from 6 pm to 8 pm.
- Volleyball scrimmage next Wednesday at 5:15 vs. Bowie & Thornton MS @ SMS
The staff at SMS looks forward to seeing our community come together throughout the year as we engage in the SMS tradition of excellence through teaching, learning, and extracurricular events.
Sartartia Middle School
Parents--Please complete the beginning of the year Online Forms
To avoid having to use a forest of paper to print forms for parents to complete on the first day of school, parents may complete this annual task starting July 30. See below for details.
- Verify your child(ren)'s information in Skyward Family Access
- Download this helpful flyer (in English and Spanish) to guide you through the process
- To start the verification process, click here to go to Skyward Family Access
- NOTE 1: Please allow your children "Full Access" (FA) to district computers and the network. In order to conduct research, create projects, take certain assessments, use Schoology, use their district email account, and more, students must have full access to the district's resources
- NOTE 2: Please provide permission for your child(ren) to take surveys. As we seek to hear and listen to students' voices and opinions to make SLMS a better place to work and learn, we cannot do that if students do not have permission to take surveys. We don't do many of them, but the ones we do are important, and they originate from within the district
We appreciate all you do to make us an excellent world-class school! Please forward all questions about SKYWARD Family Access to our Data Entry Clerk, Ms. Hodson at 281-634-6323 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to School Reminders!
Back to School Reminders
- SMS strives to maintain a welcoming, yet safe environment and to give superior customer service to our community. On the first day of school, please support our transition process, and allow your middle-schooler to enter the building independently, unless you are dropping off medication at the clinic or have a pre-arranged meeting. Parents will have the opportunity to visit their child’s classes at Open House on Sept. 5
- School Hours: 8:55 (tardy bell) to 4:10 (dismissal)
- Building Hours for Students: 8:20 to 4:20. Students should not arrive to campus before 8:15 AM, as we do not provide supervision until 8:20 AM.
- Traffic will be heavy on the first week of school. We appreciate your patience. Please allow extra time.
All car riders must be dropped off and picked up in the front of the school. Therefore, students must exit and enter cars only using the curb side of the front of the building. Cars should be never be parked in the drop off lane and everyone must use the crosswalk. Picking up or dropping off students along the Homeward Way is not a safe practice. Please do not use the parking lot near the bus ramp for pick up or drop off. Lastly, we ask that all are mindful of speed at all times when on school grounds. Safety of each of our precious Jaguars is of the utmost concern.
- Drop off and pick up procedures: Do not drop off or pick up children in the street or the staff parking lot (near the bus ramp). Please do not block the parking lot exit when you are in line waiting, it creates gridlock and no one is able to get out of the parking lot...this causes the parking lot exit to back up. Please to do drop off/pick up from The KidsRKids parking lot-- it is private property and a safety issue for their customers.
- Be safe and patient during arrival and dismissal. Drive carefully and no cell phones!
- Bike riders need to lock their bikes on the bike ramp. No skateboards, scooters, skates, etc. allowed on campus at any time.
- Car riders should only use the front driveway. No student drop-off/pick-up in any parking lot.
- Bus route information may be found on this district webpage (if your child is eligible for bus service). Make sure your child knows his/her bus route information.
- We enforce the FBISD dress code, which is available in the Student Code of Conduct. Please help in ensuring that your child complies with the dress code every day at school. We will also review this with students on the first week of school.
- If your child requires medication during the school day, parents must bring the medication directly to the clinic and complete the necessary paperwork.
Front Office Procedures
Due to the vestibule in the front office, it is important to note the following for our check-in process. Everyone who intends to enter the building past the sign-in window during the school day, must have state issued identification to do so. We rely on the RAPTOR scan system for badging visitors in and it only reads state issued ID cards or driver’s licenses.
All deliveries including homework, clothes, and lunches, etc... must be delivered by 11:00 AM due to the drop-off cart being moved to a different location for student access.
Lunch drop off : please make sure that all lunches are delivered by 11:00 AM so that we may roll the cart into an area that students can access. It is also requested that parents minimize lunch drop off to special occasions.
All students will receive their schedules during Jag Academy at 8:55 AM on August 14, 2019. He/She will also be given their locker number and combination. Students will have the opportunity to practice opening lockers multiple times during the first few days of school.
If your child would like to request a schedule change, he/she will need to stop by the SMS Counselors' Office and pick up a Schedule Change Request Form. The form requires signatures from teachers and parent. All forms must be submitted by August 26, 2019. There will be no schedule changes after this date.
Anyone enrolled in PE classes at SMS are required to wear a PE uniform each day for class. Click here to purchase PE uniforms online. All uniforms will be distributed during the PE classes the second week of school. Multiple sizes are readily available in each PE class. Please make sure you print your receipt and bring it to class. Another option is to have your child show us a picture of the receipt on their phone.
Student IDs / Check-in Stations - COMING SOON
Free and Reduced Meal Information
FBISD Launches SchoolCafe
FBISD’s Child Nutrition Department will be launching a new software program this school year, SchoolCafe. SchoolCafe will allow parents to create an account, make online payments, view school menus, set account restrictions and more. SchoolCafe can be accessed at https://www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd or through the SchoolCafe app. (Visit the Apple Store or Google Play store to download.)
Please note, you will still be able to view menus through MealViewer.
Users will no longer be able to make online meal payments through RevTrak, which will be going offline August 4 at 11:59 PM. While RevTrak will no longer be available to process any Child Nutrition payments, all funds currently on meal accounts will transfer automatically into SchoolCafe by end of day Monday, August 5, 2019. Parents will be able to make payments through https://www.schoolcafe.com/fbisd or through the SchoolCafe app on Monday, August 5, 2019.
Should you have any questions, please contact FBISD Child Nutrition at (281) 634-1855.
JOIN SMS PTO 2019-2020
We are looking for Enthusiastic Parents to join the PTO team for the coming school year. We need parents to help make Sartartia Middle School the best it can be.
We love parent volunteers! Please renew your annual Criminal History Authorization (CHA) by visiting the district website. These reset on July 1 each year.
Reasons to Get Involved:
1) Its a Great Way to Meet Other Parents with Kids the same age as your own.
2) You can help raise money for a great cause - your children's education.
3) You will get to meet & know the Teachers and Administrators.
4) You can plan and execute fun events for the whole family.
5) Get your voice heard.
These are just some of the benefits of joining the PTO. Help us Help the School Help the Students be successful.
- Its Rewarding!
- Its Important!
- Its Fun!
Need more information on our PTO, please visit the PTO website by clicking here
Find All Your Jag Gear Below
Assistant Principals & Counselors
Courtney Border-Assistant Principal
Dr. Sunday Johnson-Associate Principal
Rachel McCune-Lead Counselor
Paul Wells-Assistant Principal