Tuesday, October 12, 2021 - Issue #6
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! We are so thankful to have each and every one of you in our lives.
An Emergency Contact Form will be coming home with all students this week. This form will be pre-populated with the information we have on file for your student. Please check backpacks and send in all updated information. We are noticing that we have some incorrect phone numbers in our system, so please make sure we have your information correct. If no changes are needed, please indicate this on the form and return it to the school.
This week you will receive an electronic form requesting that you update the "Freedom of Information". The information in this form tells the school what information about your child you give your consent to be shared. For example; Can their photo posted on social media? Can their name and work posted within the school? Do you give permission for your child to attend local, walking field trips? You will have the opportunity to answer yes or no to these and other questions.
Congratulations to all of the students who have signed up for Cross Country Running! We have a large number of students participating and it is wonderful to see so many students being active and trying their best. Good luck to all of our cross country runners who will compete in a race on Thursday at Fort Henry.
We have received a call from the company who does the school photos and been given new dates. Photos will be done on Friday November 5th, with re-takes being done on Friday November 26th.
There are updates posted below to the mandatory self-screener for health protocols in the school, please make sure to read through the new link.
If you have any questions or if there's something we have missed, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Fraser, Mrs. Clapp, Mr. McFarlane & Mrs. Hart
- Monday, October 11th - Thanksgiving (No Classes)
- Thursday, October 14th - Regional Cross Country Meet
- Monday, October 18th - SAC Meeting (See details below)
- Wednesday, October 20th - IEP's go home
- Thursday, October 21st - District Cross Country Meet (top 15 Regional Qualifiers)
- Monday, November 1st - P.A. Day (no school for students)
- Friday, November 5th - School Photo Day
Clothes For Kids
If you or anyone in our wondering Welborne Ave. community needs assistance with groceries, winter gear, etc. please do not hesitate to reach out.
Important Updates to Mandatory Daily Self-Screener
All families are required to screen their child(ren) for COVID-19 symptoms before each day.
The Ministry of Education Screening Tool and can be found by clicking:
Navigate to a hard copy of the Screening Tool by clicking:
Key changes are focused on providing clarity to users and individuals, and do not represent policy changes. Updates to the screening tools include:
- Symptoms - Clarifying that staff, students and children should stay home from school and child care if they are unwell, even if they do not have symptoms that are most commonly associated with COVID-19, and monitor before returning to school.
- Testing - Clarifying that rapid antigen tests are not for use on individuals with symptoms of COVID-19 or on high-risk close contacts.
- Vaccination and Immunization Status – Revisions were made to the structure of the vaccination status and COVID-19 case history question to clarify that the individual could be vaccinated or had previously tested positive within the last 90 days.
- Personal Health Information and Immunization Status - Clarifying that the purpose of asking if an individual is fully vaccinated or was previously positive with COVID-19 in the past 90 days is for providing correct isolation requirements. A reminder has been added to note that no public health information is being collected when individuals complete the screening tool.
- International Travel – the international travel question has been revised to provide better clarity about who can and cannot attend school after travelling. While unvaccinated children under the age of 12 are exempt from federal quarantine if they travelled in the company of someone who qualified for an exemption from quarantine based on vaccination status, they may not attend school or child care for 14 days upon their return. Individuals with all other quarantine exemptions (e.g., travelling for cross-border custody arrangements; travelling for medical treatment) may continue to attend school or child care.
If your child is exhibiting any symptoms on the daily screener, do not send your child on the school bus or to school.
School Advisory Council News
School Council is still looking to fill some of the positions, as well as volunteers for different opportunities throughout the year. Thank you and congratulations to those who have already taken positions. Based on the elections that took place on September 27th, the following positions have been filled:
Chair - Sherry McCauley
Secretary - Kevin McCauley
Treasurer - Lora Zanibbi
Teacher’s Rep - Lisa LeComte
Waterloo Village - Sarah Raymond
Westpark - Lisa Garrison
Intermediate Rep - Crystal Bevens-Leblanc
Next Welborne Public School Advisory Council - Virtual Meeting will be on Mon. Oct. 18th @ 6:15 - 7:15pm, please attend and bring a friend who is apart of our Wildcat community!
Meeting ID: 848 2413 0174 Passcode: 811486
Dial by your location +1 647 558 0588 Canada
Meeting ID: 848 2413 0174 Passcode: 811486
To find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kc4S8OsUkr
Thank you Cobs!
Seen Around The School...
Queen's STEPS Program
The STEPS program is a two-year program for students in Grades 7 and 8 with learning challenges at school related to learning disabilities, ADHD or Autism Spectrum Disorder. To be eligible for this program, students must:
- Apply for the program during the fall/winter of their Grade 7 year
- Have impairments in academic achievement
- Be previously diagnosed with a relevant disability (e.g. a learning disability, ADHD, Autism Spectrum Disorder), or have a history that strongly suggests a relevant disability
- Have average intellectual functioning, based on previous assessment findings
Students without a recent psychoeducational assessment will receive one through our office at the cost of $2000 (payable in instalments). The STEPS program itself is free for families. Priority is given to fall applications, however we can still accept application up until March 1, 2022.
The registration forms and our flyer can be found on our website. https://www.queensu.ca/rarc/transition-programs-and-services/steps-program
To report your child's absence: