The Cardinal Connection
William F. Cooke, Jr. Elementary School
August 11, 2021
Principal Roberta Jacobs and Assistant Principal Gregg Johnson welcome the Cooke community to the 2021-2022 school year!
Translate this newsletter!
¡Traduce este boletín!
We have a translate feature! Simply click "translate newsletter" and you can pick from many different languages!
¡Tenemos un botón de traducción! Simplemente haga clic donde dice "translate newsletter" y podrá elegir entre muchos idiomas diferentes.
Meet the Teacher Night
Thursday, Aug. 26th, 4-6pm
2025 Graves Road
-Pick up Car Tags (new families only): See more information below
-Sign 1:1 Chromebook Technology Agreement Form: See more information below
-Pay the Chromebook Protection Plan fee (if paying cash $20): See more information below
-Deliver Cooke Wish List supplies to teachers: See Wish List below
You may visit any time between 4:00 PM and 6:00 PM.
Cooke Car Tags
We will have these organized for pick up at Meet the Teacher night on 8/26 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM. If you are unable to attend that evening, you can stop by the main office anytime during the week of August 23rd from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM. It is essential that if your child will be a car rider that your vehicle has this tag ready for the 1st day of school.
Incoming Kindergarten Information
Kindergarten last names starting with A-L will attend on Monday, 8/30 and Tuesday 8/31 (will NOT attend on 9/1 and 9/2).
Kindergarten last names starting with M-Z will attend on Wednesday, 9/1 and Thursday, 9/2 (will NOT attend on 8/30 and 8/31).
ALL Kindergarten students will attend starting on Friday, 9/3.
It is suggested that parents bring any school supplies from our Wish List to Meet the Teacher Night. This will help your kindergartener arrive without being bogged down with supplies on their first days. If you can't attend Meet the Teacher, it is suggested that you send in a little at a time, each day, as visitors will not be permitted in the building on the first day.
A Special Message to New Kindergarten Families and new Cooke Families:
- Your child will follow your emotional lead. So, as the start of school approaches, and on that first day, if you are calm, secure, and happy, your child will most likely be the same!
- Split start: Why a split start? This provides teachers with smaller groups of students so procedures can be more easily taught and your child isn't as overwhelmed the first few days. Teachers also value this time to start building relationships with your child.
- Breakfast: Free to all Red Clay students during the 2021-2022 school year. Lunch is also free to all Red Clay students. Lunch can be packed from home, or selected at school.
- On the first day of school, we ask for all goodbyes to take place in the car, before drop off. Trust us! We do not allow parents to get out and take pictures on the 1st day or any day at arrival, as it adds to the emotional stress and it simply isn't possible with time as we have so many families dropping off in the morning.
- You can take pictures at Meet the Teacher Night on August 26th!
- A.M. car riders: When you pull up to the curb in the morning, many staff will be there to greet your child. Your child will be guided from the sidewalk inside the building to meet their teacher directly.
- Dismissal: All procedures are carefully taught.
- Bus riders: Each bus rider will be guided directly to their bus. Parents must be at the bus stop to pick up the K student or the student is returned to Cooke. Please arrive at your child's bus stop at least 10 minutes before the bus is expected to arrive to ensure that you are on time. For the first couple of weeks, please be patient as the bus routes are new to our bus drivers and timing may not be spot on at the start of the year. Administration will put out an alert through School Messenger if the bus is expected to be much later than usual.
- Car riders: All riders receive a car tag number. Your child will learn this process over a couple of weeks. Your child will remain in their classroom until their car number is called, at which time they will be guided outside with an adult and brought to the location of your car.
We take very good care of our new Kindergarten students and new to Cooke students!
1) Chromebook 1:1 Technology Agreement Form (see links below)
2) Pay the $20 Protection Plan Fee
Please note: This is a protection plan insurance fee. It is not a Chromebook fee. You may pay online through www.paypams.com or in cash at Cooke Elementary. You may pay this fee during Meet The Teacher Night on 8/26/21 from 4:00-6:00 PM.
All hard copies of the Chromebook 1:1 Technology Agreements (Spanish and English) and directions for how to pay the fee online can be found here: https://www.redclayschools.com/Page/3215
Chromebooks will be distributed during the first week of school by homeroom teachers. Chromebooks will travel to and from school each day. Please ensure that your child's Chromebook is charged each night and that they bring their Chromebook to school each day. This is to ensure that if for some reason we must change to remote learning at a moment's notice, all students are prepared to do so.
Parents must sign the Chromebook 1:1 Technology Agreement. You can click on the button link above to do so.
Los padres deben firmar el acuerdo de Tecnología del Chromebook. Haga clic en el botón de arriba para firmar el formulario.
Car Rider Dismissal
School Updates and Alerts
Cooke utilizes the School Messenger platform as our parent alert and notification system. If you have changed numbers or are new to the district, you are encouraged to call or email our secretary, Desiree Nabors, with your new contact information so you can stay up to date on event changes, school closures or emergency situations which might arise. Desiree.Nabors@redclay.k12.de.us
2021-2022 Cooke Calendar At A Glance
Cooke is Connected
The Cooke Elementary Website is a hub for information including the Staff Directory, School Supply Lists, Virtual Tour for Kindergarten, Nurse information and more!
Our Cooke PTA is focused on supporting our entire school community! Check out their website to find out how you can join the Cooke PTA as well as upcoming events. The Cooke PTA can also be found on Facebook: @CookePTA .