Egg to Chick
Brenham ISD Outdoor Education
Didn't have may eggs hatch?
That's ok - chicks are pretty fickle creatures under great circumstances.
In a classroom, even more so!
If you are interested in trying to figure out why, you may try candling the eggs with your students to see where development stopped.
- Set up your document camera
- Pull out a strong flashlight
- Turn off the lights
- Candle a few eggs to determine the egg's stage of development (this is a GREAT series of candling photos)
- Brainstorm possible reasons for the low hatch rate with your kiddos.
HINT: If they all stopped at around the same day, check your records for any temperature fluxuations.
Need a home for your flock?
- Send me the number of chicks you have by lunchtime on Thursday.
- Put on their little chick backpacks.
- Have them ready to go by 9:00 a.m. on Friday morning.
They will then be picked up and delivered to Brenham Elementary.
(Thank you Ms. Kaldis for generously relocating our homeless chicks!)